You can type here any text you want

Screen for turbo inlet?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ITSAV6

It's my Granny's car!
Since my wheel got chewed up I have ben thinking about putting a screen over the inlet. Anyone ever done this?

No. We usually try to get away from the restriction of a screen which itself could get sucked into the compressor. The stock MAFS has a screen or two. I have not seen a problem with a sealed inlet with a big oiled cotton air filter after 13 years of owning TR's. The blades are always perfect even after thousands of miles and thousands of WOT passes. The stock turbos i have seen on high mileage cars that had paper elements all had beat up wheels.

I already have a 14" K&N on it. I have not had a paper filter on it since 1993.
My stock turbo lasted way over 100k and the bearings died due to the oil line cracking. I think a small piece broke off the stk maf board:confused:

I already have a 14" K&N on it. I have not had a paper filter on it since 1993.
My stock turbo lasted way over 100k and the bearings died due to the oil line cracking. I think a small piece broke off the stk maf board:confused:

Actually, that's not a K&N. Truthfully, there is not a K&N filter that will come close to this in performance. This filter has an inverted cone end filter to eliminate turbulance, as is found in K&N's with their closed rubber end caps or flat end filters. This filter is also a 3 piece with your choice of mounting tapers. If you look at the pic, you will notice an aluminum taper which can be had in different lengths, diameters, and tapers. Intense Performance manufactures these for turbo diesel trucks, and this filter has been flow tested to over 1300 cfm. Brian

i had a friend have a doorscreen hose clamped onto the compressor inlet for well over a year. it worked well, but not for a road-driven car (his turbo was also much lower and more likely to recieve damage from road debris)

Fuelie600, I like the aluminum heat sheild surrounding your air filter. Did you make it, or buy it??

I actually wanted to make something like that, but I lacked the tooling to do it. I made a template out of card board, but that was as far as I went.

very nice job doing it yourself. doesnt look to hard just time consuming.

I was thinking about putting a screen on my 4" 6776bb turbo inlet because it looks big enough to suck small children and animals in!:eek: :D

very nice job doing it yourself. doesnt look to hard just time consuming.

Your right. It was a matter of planning the bends/angles, and being patient when cutting. I guess it's a matter of how much a detail "freak" you want to be. Thanks for the nice comments guys.:cool:

Care to share the dimensions of your template with us?
Conrad

Back