You can type here any text you want

shift point

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87-TURBO-T

what would be a good baseline shift point for the combo in my sig? or are there too many variables? thanks

5200-5400 maybe 5500. Roller or stock valvetrain? You will know if she runs out of steam, these things fall flat on their face when out of the power band.

I would not rev it any higher than about 6200. I would shoot for 6000 for prolonged use if you want to avoid joining the DOTC club.

I would not rev it any higher than about 6200. I would shoot for 6000 for prolonged use if you want to avoid joining the DOTC club.

Obviously, you have MUCH more experience than me with these cars, and, you are correct. :cool:
I based the 6200 on the cam ............ but the bottom end says 5600-5800. :eek:
Plus, I guess it depends on the rest of the build.

Obviously, you have MUCH more experience than me with these cars, and, you are correct. :cool:
I based the 6200 on the cam ............ but the bottom end says 5600-5800. :eek:
Plus, I guess it depends on the rest of the build.

Cam wise it should be able to shift much higher. I have a 218/218 and shift at 7200. :biggrin:

Yeah. I can imagine:biggrin: . Those open up the window quite a bit if you have enough turbo and can feed it enough fuel

That is a fact.

With the old stock crank, stock rod motor and a 214/214 cam I shifted at 6000-6200. But stock crank will flex quite a bit above 6000 so life is limited there and I have the pictures to prove it :eek:

That is a fact.

With the old stock crank, stock rod motor and a 214/214 cam I shifted at 6000-6200. But stock crank will flex quite a bit above 6000 so life is limited there and I have the pictures to prove it :eek:

Yeah ive hit 6400 a couple times:eek: with a stock bottom end:eek: Didnt hear any bad noise or see any parts in the rear view mirror:biggrin: got lucky

Yeah ive hit 6400 a couple times:eek: with a stock bottom end:eek: Didnt hear any bad noise or see any parts in the rear view mirror:biggrin: got lucky

ha ha.. dito here. good balance work and a smooth running motor help to go a long way. But I'm thinking you've probably hit those rpm's on a stock factory balanced assembly eh?:eek: :cool:

5700-5800

Steve, Bison;
If the motor was balanced with steel caps and studs, what would you say the max safe shift point would be, everything else being the same?

Steve, Bison;
If the motor was balanced with steel caps and studs, what would you say the max safe shift point would be, everything else being the same?

I would not go higher than 5900-6000 max.

ha ha.. dito here. good balance work and a smooth running motor help to go a long way. But I'm thinking you've probably hit those rpm's on a stock factory balanced assembly eh?:eek: :cool:

Ive hit 6500+ with hydraulic rollers before by accident. Yeah that 6400 was on junk factory bottom end. I still have the data from that pass. I was playing with governors and had one hang up:eek:

Back