Should I replace these Roller Lifters? ...They're Really Loud

I know this is going to sound crazy but it seems as though my Morels aren't as loud as they use to be..I agree with the thought that they should continue to get louder as the link bar wears in just doesn't seem like the case with mine :confused:

If it is the link bars causing the noise there should be witness marks on them.

While the intake is off, back off the rockers and check your camshaft end play. I'm wondering if the cam might be moving causing the lifters to rotate back and forth and clacking the link bars.

Mark, what Sealed Power lifters are you using? I didn't realize FM made rollers for our engines.

There's a lot more that contributes to valvetrain noise than the lifters as people are finding out

I know this is going to sound crazy but it seems as though my Morels aren't as loud as they use to be..I agree with the thought that they should continue to get louder as the link bar wears in just doesn't seem like the case with mine :confused:
If your link bars are wearing you're about to have much bigger issues

If your link bars are wearing you're about to have much bigger issues
I haven't had the intake off since installing the lifters, so can't say they have any wear....Just that they have been noisy since day one and my buddy told me it was the link bars making the noise..

I have yet to replace my valve springs and the lifters, but I done a lot of reading from the more experience guys like yourself, so maybe one day I can replace mine; with that being said, there are:
John Callies Morel lifters
885's lifters
TA Performance lifters
Weber Morel #5393
According to one of our member SPOOLFOOL2 already did a trail test on the Weber Morel #5393. Here is the thread link from SPOOLFOOL2 of his findings:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/any-good-hyd-roller-lifters-other-than-clicky-comps.263116/

As bison claimed, "If your link bars are wearing you're about to have much bigger issues"

which leads to why are the link bars are wearing out and causing the ignoring noise?:confused:
Secondly, do you really need the link bar?:confused:

Last edited:
You have to have a link bar to hold the roller square with the camshaft.
Okay earl, I'm going to ask a dump question, if the stock lifters don't have a link and it's quiet running, so adding a roller to the lifters without the link wouldn't it be the same as factory set up?

No, flat tappets spin on the cam. Rollers have a wheel that rolls over the cam and needs to be square to the cam. Since the stock setup has no way to keep the rollers square they use a tie bar to hold them. The roller setup for the fwd 3.8 uses "dog bones" to hold the rollers square.

Hmmm, You would think someone would create a ball bearing lifters by replacing the roller type use one ball bearing
as this would eliminate the link bar.

I hope coach the perfection machinist is listening; need to you dream and wake up with an idea and design one.

I think the problem with that idea is all the spring pressure needed for a roller would be focused on a very small area on the cam rather than spread out.

I think the problem with that idea is all the spring pressure needed for a roller would be focused on a very small area on the cam rather than spread out.
Thanks Pronto, now I know why it couldn't be done

wrong preload is the biggest cause of noise as in not enough, too many guys worried about lifter pump up when they never rev the motors anywhere near where that might even happen,The Morel lifter are very quiet when properly set up, Call me and I will help you fix it.

Mike

wrong preload is the biggest cause of noise as in not enough, too many guys worried about lifter pump up when they never rev the motors anywhere near where that might even happen,The Morel lifter are very quiet when properly set up, Call me and I will help you fix it.

Mike
What preload do you suggest? I didn't have the intake off before so I set my harland sharps 3/4 turn after contacting the lifter.

I might add, I never had a problem settting preload back when we used flat tappets and stock rockers. We used to have to shim the bases where the shaft sat or use adjustable pushrods, etc.

I'm pretty sure the sounds I'm hearing are from the links since I can duplicate the sound in the video I posted.

Last edited:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/18798931@N06/13497291555/

The clearance between my clicky link bars and the lifter is .008-.009. It allows the lifter to rotate slightly. Is this amount of play normal?

BTW, I checked my preloads again and they are all around .040-.05ish so I don't think my preloads are the problem. I'm about to put this back together the way it is unless someone thinks the link bars are worn out.

Last edited:
Okay I set all the preloads again but got to 6 and one of the lifters just didn't seem to have enough spring to it to set the preload properly. I took the pushrod out and the rocker adjustment screw had some shavings in it that looked like it was clogging the oil passage. The others all look good so I'm not too concerned but I need one pair of these lifters.