smoke smoke smoke NEW MOTOR

I'm thinking rings are not seating also, when my turbo went out on my 79 sport coupe, it smoked like the mother of all smoke. Also when the valve seals are bad it will only smoke on start up then clear up pretty fast, in my exsperience. IMO we need to get that glaze off the cylinder walls/piston rings, not sure how you will do that with out disassemble. Good luck..

The glaze will eventually wear off if he does exactly what I mentioned. I honestly wouldnt recommend going to synthetic oil till like 10,000 miles, but 3000 is fine if he boosts and winds out the motor while its still in its infancy, like I mentioned. This is a critical time in the engines life, where break in can affect so many things. Get out there with the dino oil, wind out the motor under boost like 5 times, change the oil, and take it easy till the next oil change. If you put-put-put around right now, you'll ruin any chance of fixing this.

need boost said:
Just sent you a private message back, I went thur this myself. My uppipe was clean as well as the trottle body but it was my turbo!! It was a fine mist I quess and it didn't settle on the uppipe and such, the was none or extremely little in the intercooler. I took her down the road and hammered her untill she was blowing out a ton of smoke and shut it off at my shop real fast, pulled the pipe off between the turbo and the intercooler and there was the oil!! Got the turbo rebuillt and she has run great since. If you whipped out a cam in it you can almost bet money that the metal got your turbo seals and its leaking somewhere now. Daniel Ray
Good advice! & sometimes you have to look real close inside the exaust houseing.Behind the turbine blades & if there is any sign of oil at all it will smoke.

Sounds like the turbo to me. Can you try another known good turbo? Easier than anything your contemplating. If you feel you did everything right on the re-build, it probably's good. Try the turbo first. Common cause of mystery smoke. ;)

Red Regal T said:
Sounds like the turbo to me. Can you try another known good turbo? Easier than anything your contemplating. If you feel you did everything right on the re-build, it probably's good. Try the turbo first. Common cause of mystery smoke. ;)
took dp and innercooler off no oil let run with dp off and no oil. throttle body no oil. did notice my fuel pressure will not hold. brand new injectors. help fp for 4 days before breaking motor in now 1 hr. also do you think injector wire bad? took okk and noticed on plug corroded on bottom

I just a stock turbo off my GN. Car smoked on startup and smoked after idling for five minutes. No smoke during driving. I can't say for sure if there was oil in the inlet, but replaced teh turbo, and no smoke. Also, this wasn't the first time I changed a turbo and it fixed a huffing problem. Just my best guess at your problem. Changing turbo always worked for me. ;)

Red Regal T said:
I just a stock turbo off my GN. Car smoked on startup and smoked after idling for five minutes. No smoke during driving. I can't say for sure if there was oil in the inlet, but replaced teh turbo, and no smoke. Also, this wasn't the first time I changed a turbo and it fixed a huffing problem. Just my best guess at your problem. Changing turbo always worked for me. ;)
just took out my plugs and they are all black and did a compression test and got
1=138

Red Regal T said:
just took out my plugs and they are all black and did a compression test and got
1=138 2=141
3=141 5=138
5=140 6=140

UPDATE pulled off my up pipe and to my dismay the whole doghouse is flooded with oil WTF!!!!.checked it before but the oil is so clean i looked at it with a flashlight. whats up with that the uppipe is dry didnt geta chance to pull innercooler to check turbo but my pcv hose was soaked. should i get toip cleaner a run it in the throttle body. i pulled the pcv out to see if it goes away. did buy a catch can but didnt install it. and my plugs are all oil soaked

Probably been said before but PULL THE TURBO!

Looks like you have a seal. Yes, you need to clean everything with oil on it. Throw the plugs in the trash and start with new WHEN you put on a good known turbo. Without doing those you can't proceed to something else in trying to nail it down.

thanks intercooler so you dont think its my pcv? i'll pull my innercooler and see if the turbo outlet is wet also my blm's are 136 is that from the oil too? no exhaust leaks and vacuum leaks

UPDATE pulled innercooler and the outlet was wet and the hose was wet with oil. do you think this little bit of wetness could cause a fog machine?

Intercooler said:
Absolutely! A little oil mist put into the charge-air will for sure make a smoke cloud!
thanks bud guess i got to call the machine shop and take the huge weight off there shoulders. so should i leave the innercooler off and unplug the maf and pour top engine cleaner down the pipe?

Is the compressor outlet on the turbo drippy with oil?

Also when you pull the intercooler spray 1 full cans of brake fluid in there and swish around until all the oil seems to have been removed..... then pour in a safe container. Repeat with another can until it seems to be clean. You can finish up with Simple Green and water (read recommended dilution) and swish that around. Finally take some compressed air in one end try to blow out as much moisture as possible. Finally leave it outside in the sun on a sunny day to make sure all the moisture evaporates out of that sucker.

I think your turbo seals are toast as others have mentioned.

I break in motors with stock valve springs and for 20 mins rev between 2-3K RPM watching oil pressure and coolant temps (topping off the coolant level assisted by a friend). I let it cool to normal operating temps then.

Finally I take it right out to an area where there is no traffic and go make some boost keeping the revs and boost low (under 10psi) for a handful of pulls 1-2-3 gear. Then when slowing down to a stop sign/stoplight I'll put it down a gear manually and let it engine brake so that the valve seals get nicely loaded with oil and the rings cooled. The rings seat instantly.. at least for me. My machine shop recommended going right out and making some boost as well as others.

I bring it back to the house, let it cool down, change the valvesprings to stiffer ones, change the oil and keep using regular oil for the next 2-3K miles. Then finally switch to synthetic.

What rings are in that motor?