smoke smoke smoke NEW MOTOR

lpaulabbott said:
do you think i need the intake shaved a bit there i no oil in the doghouse

Are you saying you took the plenum completely off, inspected the intake and found no oil or oily residue?? If you did and found no oil then pull a header and see if the exh ports are wet.

:mad: STILL SMOKING. PLUGS ARE BLACK AND IT SMOKES AT IDLE AND START UP. if i let it sit for 5 minutes and restart it huffs large amounts of smoke. is this guides rings or seals? :mad: :mad: :mad:

From actual real life experience:
I had a fresh motor, rings gapped tight and ended up (seems like) buying more oil than gas. Had to add a quart every 40 miles. Went through ALL the **** you are going through.

Compression tests on all cylinders were fine but the leakdown was high. Beat the living **** out of the motor, no change. Pulled the "fresh motor" after 600 miles. Build another one and no more smoke.

Edit;
Not suggesting this is your issue (did not read through each post) but you may want to do a leakdown test. Best of luck.

my friend had this problem and we took the heads off, pulled the pistons out, and ball honed the cylinders and the smoke was gone. didnt take the motor out to do this either.

plugs are black are they wet with oil or just black? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on the car? If so see what its set at and you said when you shut it off then crank it , it really smokes right? See how fast your fuel pressure drops when you shut it off and let it sit for the 5 mins you are talking about. I am beginning to wonder if you have one or more injectors washing your cylinders on you. Or maybe a injector sticking open some, if its washing your walls that will make it smoke like crazy to!!! :confused:

you can see splashes of oil on the plugs but i think they are getting black from bieng fouled from oil

ready to pull my hair out and sell or torch this pos. took it to the mechanic to look at it pulled the plugs and they are all perfect still smokes at idle very light but is loading up and has a low rpm miss what could this be is it washing down my cylinder walls?

So did you ever try the things I talked about? Have you listened to each injector to hear if each one is pulsing evenly with a hose? I personally think the rings arent breaking in from all the oil supplements you threw in there during break in. You need friction for break in, and unfortunately, it didnt have enough. I would say that you either have 1 of 2 things (if each injector is firing fine).
#1. Wiped guides.
#2. Rings wont break in.
#1- you cant do a whole lot for this other than pull the heads off and make them throw in new iron guides with the proper clearance, and dont use those teflon seals next time. Use Fel-pro style ones.
#2- You can do the things I mentioned, and just give it time....The light weight oil and WOT runs. Spraying alot of alky can help wash the slippery stuff off the walls and rings as well. There is an old school method of breaking in rings that refuse to break in, but I personally wouldnt do it on my car....they used to sprinkle Bon-Ami into the carb while revving it up. After that, they would change the oil immediately, and change it like 3 times. But like I said, I wouldnt do it.
Have you done the leakdown test yet? You're banging your head against the wall, but it seems like you're doing everything but what you should be doing to fix it. Just get out there and do this:
Listen to the injectors.
If they're fine, do a leakdown test. If leakdown is bad, do the things I mentioned to help break the rings/walls in.

VadersV6 said:
So did you ever try the things I talked about? Have you listened to each injector to hear if each one is pulsing evenly with a hose? I personally think the rings arent breaking in from all the oil supplements you threw in there during break in. You need friction for break in, and unfortunately, it didnt have enough. I would say that you either have 1 of 2 things (if each injector is firing fine).
#1. Wiped guides.
#2. Rings wont break in.
#1- you cant do a whole lot for this other than pull the heads off and make them throw in new iron guides with the proper clearance, and dont use those teflon seals next time. Use Fel-pro style ones.
#2- You can do the things I mentioned, and just give it time....The light weight oil and WOT runs. Spraying alot of alky can help wash the slippery stuff off the walls and rings as well. There is an old school method of breaking in rings that refuse to break in, but I personally wouldnt do it on my car....they used to sprinkle Bon-Ami into the carb while revving it up. After that, they would change the oil immediately, and change it like 3 times. But like I said, I wouldnt do it.
Have you done the leakdown test yet? You're banging your head against the wall, but it seems like you're doing everything but what you should be doing to fix it. Just get out there and do this:
Listen to the injectors.
If they're fine, do a leakdown test. If leakdown is bad, do the things I mentioned to help break the rings/walls in.
yes i did the wot runs and listened to the injectors nothing out of the ordinary. new injector harness and injectors. have a low idle miss pops and loads up and at cruising do you think theis is washing the walls down? my blms are 129 at idle when i blip the throttle it goes to 850 and huffs black and light blue smoke out

lpaulabbott said:
....... my blms are 129 at idle when i blip the throttle it goes to 850 and huffs black and light blue smoke out
When that happened to me, I traced it down 3 weeks later to a defective ECM. Worth a try. Get one from Red_Regal_T if you need one.

Well Just Recently Posted That I Blew A Headgasket Well I Took Them Off And Blew 3 Cylinders Low And Behold I Found My Smoking Problem!!!!! All My Intake Valves And Inside Runners Were Bone Dry Then I Looked Down My Exhaust And They Are All Soaked With Oil And The Cylinders That Popped The Gasket The Oil Was Seeping Out The Valve Into The Cc Chamber Which In Turn Lowered My Octain On Those Cylinders And Ran Lean. So I Am Kind Of Glad These Gaskets Went Cause I Was Going To Send Back My New Turbo. Also I Think I Am Going To Go With Rjc Headgasket. The Thing That Pisses Me Off Is They Said The Guides Were .002 In The Exhaust And Were Straight. Should I Go With A Standard Valve And Put A Seal On Them Like Champion Does? MY CAR WOULD SMOKE ON START UP AND EVEN AFTER HOT IT WOULD SMOKE WHEN YOU LET IT SIT FOR 2 MINUTES THEN START IT LIKE IT IS RUNNING DOWN THE GUIDE

I start a new thread, but damn glad you finally found the culprit as to why everyone was calling you a mesquito flogger... :wink:

BW

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
I start a new thread, but damn glad you finally found the culprit as to why everyone was calling you a mesquito flogger... :wink:

BW
why is the oil running down before every start and are rjc gaskets the way to go

i found the same thing when i removed my heads. All of my intake valves were fine. But all of my exhaust valves had oil running down them. These were a fresh set of heads too. Here is the post i had with some pics. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/191466-smoking-problem-found-maybe.html

here is a link to the pics of my heads Yahoo! Photos - tpalmisano@sbcglobal.net's Photos - guides

havent go my heads back yet i will let u know what the outcome is. champion puts them on there exhaust valves

Off topic,

Anyone else who recieved a email response about this topic--- Did it link you back to the first page also?

Every email i get from here now with the new format takes me to the beginning of the threads, and never back to where i left off???

Can anyone confirm this?

Yes/No??

BW