smoke smoke smoke NEW MOTOR

gnx7 said:
Is the compressor outlet on the turbo drippy with oil?

Also when you pull the intercooler spray 1 full cans of brake fluid in there and swish around until all the oil seems to have been removed..... then pour in a safe container. Repeat with another can until it seems to be clean. You can finish up with Simple Green and water (read recommended dilution) and swish that around. Finally take some compressed air in one end try to blow out as much moisture as possible. Finally leave it outside in the sun on a sunny day to make sure all the moisture evaporates out of that sucker.

I think your turbo seals are toast as others have mentioned.

I break in motors with stock valve springs and for 20 mins rev between 2-3K RPM watching oil pressure and coolant temps (topping off the coolant level assisted by a friend). I let it cool to normal operating temps then.

Finally I take it right out to an area where there is no traffic and go make some boost keeping the revs and boost low (under 10psi) for a handful of pulls 1-2-3 gear. Then when slowing down to a stop sign/stoplight I'll put it down a gear manually and let it engine brake so that the valve seals get nicely loaded with oil and the rings cooled. The rings seat instantly.. at least for me. My machine shop recommended going right out and making some boost as well as others.

I bring it back to the house, let it cool down, change the valvesprings to stiffer ones, change the oil and keep using regular oil for the next 2-3K miles. Then finally switch to synthetic.

What rings are in that motor?
moly plasma and its not drippy its just wet on the turbo outlet and the springs are from frank g

cleaned with top engine cleaner and throttle body cleaner and let run without innercooler and it is still smoking do you think this is coincidental that the motor has something wrong with it? i though tthat it would have quit smoking by now. ordered a ta-49 to install. i took off downpipe before and didnt see anything wet. unless its burning around the wheel

put on a new ta-49 and the smoke is gone!!!!!! but now i am having another smoking issue. when i shut down my car the fuel pressure drops in 15 minutes and when i start it up i get a grayish white smoke for a couple seconds and then i disappears and then the car has a tip in stumble and it huffs back smoke at idle the blm's are 127 what is up are the new injectors junk and leaking down is this raw gas coming out when i start up? when i did my oil change before turbo install the gas smelled like gas

Congratulations!

So all along it was the turbo.... someone said that from the begining. The new smoke sounds like gas to me. I had the same thing, when I fouled a plug. I would put a new set of plugs in, after all that oil they been firing. And smell the oil, if it reaks like gas or looks thin, change it, heck you may want to change it anyway. If the pressure drops to zero in a couple of minutes after you shut down like you said, that sounds like a stuck injector. Check your plugs when you take them out and see if any of them are wet. Is the car missing?
For me the problem was I fouled a plug and drove the car another 3 miles to work and 7 miles home. By the time I got home the oil was so thin the oil pressure was dropping... Turned out the gas has to go somewhere and when there is no fire in the hole the gas runs down the cylinder wall and into the oil. Also noticed seeping around the turbo/header joint because of the gas that was not fired was going out the exhaust manifold ...... I hope this helps...good luck..

84BuickGNYorkPA said:
So all along it was the turbo.... someone said that from the begining. The new smoke sounds like gas to me. I had the same thing, when I fouled a plug. I would put a new set of plugs in, after all that oil they been firing. And smell the oil, if it reaks like gas or looks thin, change it, heck you may want to change it anyway. If the pressure drops to zero in a couple of minutes after you shut down like you said, that sounds like a stuck injector. Check your plugs when you take them out and see if any of them are wet. Is the car missing?
For me the problem was I fouled a plug and drove the car another 3 miles to work and 7 miles home. By the time I got home the oil was so thin the oil pressure was dropping... Turned out the gas has to go somewhere and when there is no fire in the hole the gas runs down the cylinder wall and into the oil. Also noticed seeping around the turbo/header joint because of the gas that was not fired was going out the exhaust manifold ...... I hope this helps...good luck..
thanks how do i check for a open injector or a grounded wire is this why it smokes at start up after pressure goes down

When I was in the middle of my nightmare a few weeks ago, I got some post that the injector wires do go bad(Casper's sells a nice set). And if one of them ground out it will hold the injector open. Another guy told me he replaced his injectors and had a wire pinched, same thing, injector just dumped the fuel in. I emailed the vendor about my situation, and he said that it is rare for the injectors to go bad right away, as they flow matched the set that I got at the calibration table...
But to answer your question, I had the light gray smoke and you could really smell the gas odor... get a noid light at Advaced Auto for 15 bucks hook it up then start the car and you should get a pulse on each injector if you get something different you probably found your problem. After I put the new plugs in it still smoked for a while untill it burned everthing out.. I happy to say that I still have decent compression and the car runs awesome, darn spark plug... Chuck

84BuickGNYorkPA said:
When I was in the middle of my nightmare a few weeks ago, I got some post that the injector wires do go bad(Casper's sells a nice set). And if one of them ground out it will hold the injector open. Another guy told me he replaced his injectors and had a wire pinched, same thing, injector just dumped the fuel in. I emailed the vendor about my situation, and he said that it is rare for the injectors to go bad right away, as they flow matched the set that I got at the calibration table...
But to answer your question, I had the light gray smoke and you could really smell the gas odor... get a noid light at Advaced Auto for 15 bucks hook it up then start the car and you should get a pulse on each injector if you get something different you probably found your problem. After I put the new plugs in it still smoked for a while untill it burned everthing out.. I happy to say that I still have decent compression and the car runs awesome, darn spark plug... Chuck
so wha was your problem injector or harness?

well put on new turbo last week and the smoking just about quit well now took car out after getting new injector harness and started smoking heavy after a while its totaly embarrassing. checked turbo outlets and no oil uppipe and doghouse dry as well as pcv line thanks to catch can. what else could it be in the heads maybe this is a fresh rebuild and it runs AWESOME spins the tires at a 30 mph punch on 15 psi how do i check if its in heads? the comp. test showed 140 to 142 on all cylinders.

I wouldn't worry too much about a puff of grey/white smoke at startup but if it is huffing black smoke continually at idle I would think the problem would be ignition related. The pressure holds for 15 minutes or so is pretty normal. Don't know why some cars will hold pressure for 12 hours and others 15-20 minutes but that isn't necessarily a problem. You might want to shut the car down when it is blowing black smoke and check the plugs first to try to isolate it to a cylinder or cylinders. Just look for one that is blacker,wetter or sootier than the rest. You are looking for the one or two that look different from the rest. If you find 2 that look bad or different check to see if they are connected to opposite ends of the same coil. If they are, check the plug wires to those cylinders real good and check the coil with a resistance test. If only one cylinder looks bad it could still be ignition related but an injector problem begins to look like more of a possability. Check your injector harness closely especially where it runs close to metal objects like under the EGR valve. I doubt that you have an internal engine problem. One cause could be if your rings were not staggered and your compression is messed up in that cylinder. I had that happen on a motorcycle once but the rings eventually must have rotated enough to stop it. Someone might correct me on the ring theory, though. I'm sure you will get it solved-hopefully without a big expense. :smile:

lpaulabbott said:
thanks bob but it smokes blue all the time and did get a new injector harness
Any chance that this is oil that is in the exhaust left over from before?? Do you have a catalytic convertor on it?
Maybe back to the rings not seated ideas :confused:
Do you know the condition of the valve seals? Although usually that is more a temporary smoking condition upon startup.

no cat and my compression was all equal the thing that pisses me off is my machinist said that the guides checked out and they didnt need replaced and that he put positive locking valve seals on them ??????????

Pull a header a see if theres oil in the exh port. if not I would suspect an intake gasket leak. Have you pulled the plenum to see if theres oil in there?

lazaris said:
Pull a header a see if theres oil in the exh port. if not I would suspect an intake gasket leak. Have you pulled the plenum to see if theres oil in there?

Ditto, pull doghouse and the intake will be wet as hell or it will be wet from the intake gasket line down into the intake ports on most of the runners. One fix that worked for my intake leak was to go to .125 thick intake gaskets from "SCE"? not sure if that's right. Then the car ran fine for the next 5/6 years till I blew a head gasket tring to get my car to run race boost on pump gas and alky.

:D CAR RAN FINE FROM ABOVE MEANS= 130 mph in 1/4 with 23 lbs. boost in 2000 with full weight car :D

lpaulabbott said:
thanks bob but it smokes blue all the time and did get a new injector harness

Smokes blue at idle also. Did the machine shop install valve seals on the exhaust side? If not, the oil could be getting past the valve at idle. Then when you drive, the pressure from the cylinder pushes the oil back up.

Just a thought

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

lpaulabbott said:
no cat and my compression was all equal the thing that pisses me off is my machinist said that the guides checked out and they didnt need replaced and that he put positive locking valve seals on them ??????????
Those are those damn seals I talked about that go bad if anything is wrong. Go with GM seals and take those POS's off asap. Also, when you do it, with air in the cylinder and the valves closed (like they should be already when pulling the springs off), wiggle the valve stems. Dont listen to what your machinist said. They are all a bunch of liars when they **** something up.
Another thing. Dont know if I said this already, but do you have a translator? If so, do you have an outdated chip?
Are your MAF elements clean and is the signal good?
Have you tried a different chip?
How did you install the new injector harness? Did you cut/splice or do it right? Hopefully you didnt treat this harness like alot of people treat the wiring for their stereo systems. Pull off every connector and inspect every pin and every socket, on both ends of the harness. Make sure none are bent or damaged, and that all the pins and sockets are dry. If this happened right after the new harness, I would suspect switched wires, and the wrong injectors are firing at the wrong time.