So what is the consensus on sealing up TA performance headers?

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
I have seen some discussion about using the supplied gaskets, but my question is would it be beneficial not to run gaskets at all and use the Ultra Copper? The headers should come true, and my champion irons are newer, and checked them to be true as well. I just cannot see the benefit of using a gasket that may let loose if I have two true surfaces.

If using RTV just a skim coating as well right?

I always use a gasket with no issues

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Always use gaskets as well...just make sure to go back over and tighten the bolts 3 to 4 times.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

It's not just if they are true when you put them on, it's that they do expand and contract. The bolts do loosen up with heat cycles too.

Nick told me no gaskets on my stock replacement ones. I just used some RTV.

A lot of people just use a skim coat of ultra copper with good success. I did not use the supplied gaskets as I like copper gaskets. So I used the SCE copper gaskets with a skim coat of ultra copper. Torqued to spec. and re-torqued after a month. Worked fine for me and I have re-used the copper gaskets several times now.

Personally. . .
I never liked any gasket.
If a gasket is needed, I never liked anything that would reduce heat transfer to the heads, which will accelerate warpage and cracking. JMO

I would also make sure to "be" the quality department and measure for warpage regardless what I was told.

Check for flatness, smooth out high spots and bolt on. Just like stockers.

grab yourself some spare crossover pipe gaskets to keep on hand. Those little buggers tend to fall apart whenever the crossover pipe is removed.

my T/A headers are "first batch". Best $$ I ever spent on my car. I use felpro 1400's, torque to 25ft*lbs (aluminum heads with antiseize). Check and re-check after driving.