Some new track times

86 TR

Work In Progress
Just run my car at the local track today with my new combo. To say the least I am totally impressed. The car ran flawlessly and pulled harder than I ever thought it could.:D Even better I get lined up next to a '03 Cobra. Smoked him. I told my buddy I was shooting for mph not et to tune the car. He asked me what I thought it would run and I said probably low 12's. Well my first run was awesome 11.39 @ 118 mph.:eek: Maybe after a little more tuning and boost I could hit the 10's. That would be great!!!!

My motor is stock with the exception of a bigger flat tappet cam, stock heads, bored .030 over, and a TE60 and Precision Stock Location I/C and of course a 3" downpipe.

This run was perfect 0 degrees KR 1.62 60' and I was running 23 psi boost. My stock combo before was 12.40's @ 108 mph. I just cannot believe just adding a turbo and intercooler and downpipe would make this big of difference.

I think I could use some bigger injectors because I tried turning up the fuel press. but it made the car run leaner!!!

I tried to take a digital pic. of the timeslip but its too light on ink. Here's the run.

R/T .227
60' 1.626
330 4.669
1/8 7.254
MPH 95.06
1000 9.493
1/4 11.391
MPH 118.11
5psi launch
Open dump pipe
14 psi in slicks 28x9.0-15
Fuel Press. 46psi line off, turned it up more and went slower.
Reds 107 race chip at 23psi
0* KR 02#'s 750's
8psi in drivers side air bag, 15psi in pass. side air bag.
Pinion Snubber
Burning 116 octane Sunoco Maximal Red

If I could get a better 60' I'm sure I could go a little faster. My suspension is bone stock with the exception of the air bags and a pinion snubber.

Im having a few beers tonite to celebrate.. This is awesome. I drove the car 70 miles each way, bolted the slicks on and run it. Then drive home getting 25 mpg.

I made 4 passes each was 11.50 and quicker and then I get approached by the tech guy and he asks where the roll cage is. I said well with a cage its hard to put groceries in the back seat. :biggrin: He didn't like. He said one more pass quicker than 11.50 your gonna have to call it a day. So I put Reds 93 chip in lowered the boost to 19psi and I still run a 11.60 @ 115mph.

Just wondering how fast can you go with an XP pump thats hotwired. Starting to wonder if I need to go with a double pumper set up or bigger injectors. What do you guys and gals think????

nice times

I'm running a very similar setup to yours. te-60 with a stratch stock location ic, 3 inch dp , difference is I'm using alky instaed of alky and drag radials instead of slicks. I ran a best of 11.49 @ 119mph last season. I've since changed my injectors to 50lbers from the 42.5's since I was running lean. I'm heading to the track for the first time this season tomorow and hopt to be running a bit faster then last season. my major holdback was my brakes last year I could'n't hold any boost on the line and was turning 1.8 60's i've since done my brakes with the larger cylinders and upped my boost to 26-27lbs since I can now hold 10-15lbs with the brake. I'm sure with a good 60 ft I should be flying... again nice times and good luck this season.

Hi,
Congratulations! You earned those beers. When I finally get my '83 back on the road, soon, I hope to run low 12s with a TA49, slicks and the 009 injectors already in place.All else would be stock, but cam. Your times lead me to believe this is achievable. What is your cam? I am using the small Comp flat tappet; gotta be better than the wipedout stocker I removed.Also, no head work or port matching at all? Please let me know.
Once again, great run,10s are easily in your future!

Wow I 2nd the nice times comment!

I could'n't hold any boost on the line and was turning 1.8 60's i've since done my brakes with the larger cylinders and upped my boost to 26-27lbs since I can now hold 10-15lbs with the brake. I'm sure with a good 60 ft I should be flying... again nice times and good luck this season.

Is this a street car? If so how are the street manners with the bigger wheel cylinders? Did you also go with the larger brake shoes? I am having the same problem, can't hold boost on the line.
Thanks,

Chuck

Hi,
As far as the rear brakes are concerned,a couple of years ago I installed the bigger wheel cylinders and softer compound shoes, but they are still 10x2 stock size,as I remember.Anyway, I have never had an issue with street driveability with these. Easy change, wheel cyls. come from mid 80s manual brake S10s, as I recall. I hope this helps, good luck!

same here

no problems withe the bigger brake cylinders, I also bought the cheapest pads I could find softer is better.. picked up 2 sets and used the big pads from both. so far so good no street problems, if you havent changed the brakes go for it. oh yea I'm also running the stock unopened engine 180,000 miles on it just a few boltons. good luck all

im using a cam from the gs club 210-205 with GM lifters. And the heads are stock with no porting. Just a new valve job when I rebuilt it.

And I usually run down at Byron Dragway. Sometime Great Lakes Dragway too.

Thats a good running car if you ask me.
First time to the track with the new combo and getting into the low 11:biggrin:

Thats awesome

BW

It just cracks me up. I had another thread about a 383 cubic inch sbc with a procharger. I just talked to my buddy today that has that 383 to tell him what my car ran yesterday. Its right there in black and white and he says there is no way it could run that fast.!:D I want to see the number on the car and then Ill believe it. He still thinks that 383 will beat the buick.

Well actually it should if he knew what he was doin in tuning it. Well have a chance to line up against each other real soon. Cant wait to see what happens!!!

Need to buy that alky real soon and go tune somemore an hopefully hit some 11.00's or maybe better.

This is just awesome. I didn't even really tune it and it runs better than my expectations.

..... Well my first run was awesome 11.39 @ 118 mph.:eek: Maybe after a little more tuning and boost I could hit the 10's. That would be great!!!!

My motor is stock with the exception of a bigger flat tappet cam, stock heads, bored .030 over, and a TE60 and Precision Stock Location I/C and of course a 3" downpipe.

This run was perfect 0 degrees KR 1.62 60' and I was running 23 psi boost. My stock combo before was 12.40's @ 108 mph. I just cannot believe just adding a turbo and intercooler and downpipe would make this big of difference.

........ So I put Reds 93 chip in lowered the boost to 19psi and I still run a 11.60 @ 115mph.

Just wondering how fast can you go with an XP pump thats hotwired. Starting to wonder if I need to go with a double pumper set up or bigger injectors. What do you guys and gals think????

Congrats on the times..... sweet.

IMHO a single pump will carry you well into the 10's..... so you don't need to worry too much about that....

Sneak up on your tune.... what timing is in that chip?
I would suggest a Razor's alky system... and an Eric Marchall Turbotweak chip in your quest for the 10's....

If you get your 60' time down another .1 .... tune for about 26-27 psi boost.... she will definately go bottom 11's.... maybe dip in the 10's if the air and track is there....

What is sooooo cool .... is most other cars you see at the track running low 11's or high 10's.... came in on a trailer....make lots of noise..... and are nowhere close to streetable.....

:biggrin:

Thats the truth mississippi mud dog!
On a side note 9.33 at 146 sounds excellent from a turbo small block right about now. A buddy of mines first pass saturday:)
86 TR, tell your buddy to put a turbo on it and that might help him out into the above numbers:eek:

11.00 is gonna be the mark for that te60, unless your car is light you wont really get there. I think if you tune what you have,get the timing up and put some fuel to it then 11.10 is gonna happen. Might go faster with a larger turrrrrbo:eek:

Your combo is just right, make sure it runs those numbers everytime:biggrin:
BW

I actually couldn't even tell you how much timing is in that chip. I have no idea. Ive been thinking about getting a turbotweak chip. I should probably call red to see how much timing it is.

track

im using a cam from the gs club 210-205 with GM lifters. And the heads are stock with no porting. Just a new valve job when I rebuilt it.

And I usually run down at Byron Dragway. Sometime Great Lakes Dragway too.

what track were these runs made at ?

Man... I know exactly how you feel about the surprise timeslip... :D

The first two trips down the track with my GN were 10.98 & 10.95 @ 122.
I was hoping for 11.50's at best. :eek:

BTW... they were done on a single Walbro 307 pump. :cool:

I actually couldn't even tell you how much timing is in that chip. I have no idea. Ive been thinking about getting a turbotweak chip. I should probably call red to see how much timing it is.

Pull the chip & look at the round sticker that "should be" on it. It should have 3 numbers 1) injector #/hr, 2) deg. timing, & 3) fuel octane rating. That should likely give you more direct & pertinent info than calling Red,,,perhaps quicker & easier also...