You can type here any text you want

Still Making Odd Noise When Foot Into It

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DaveyX87

Recently got my Scanmaster and for the most part the data seems normal. I thought this kind of metallic noise (like bb's being dropped on the flywheel) was knock or detonation. The Scanmaster retard stayed at zero however. Is there a possibility that the knock sensor is bad or not working? Or could this be something else entirely? I'm worried about this noise. It happens when I put my foot into it and boost is up. Like I described, it is almost like bb's or a few loose nuts chattering around for about a second or so. I am stumped.

Is the wire on the knock sensor?

Double check the knock sensor. I learned the hard way. Have someone tap near the sensor lightly while the car is running and see if you can get a false knock reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like the wire is connected. I will try having someone tap around the sensor and see what happens. Thanks

Recently got my Scanmaster and for the most part the data seems normal. I thought this kind of metallic noise (like bb's being dropped on the flywheel) was knock or detonation. The Scanmaster retard stayed at zero however. Is there a possibility that the knock sensor is bad or not working? Or could this be something else entirely? I'm worried about this noise. It happens when I put my foot into it and boost is up. Like I described, it is almost like bb's or a few loose nuts chattering around for about a second or so. I am stumped.
I don't think you are stumped. It sounds like your engine is knocking and if you repeat the knocking enough times a head gasket or worse will need to be replaced.
Are you able to reduce the boost?
Are you able to put a higher octane fuel in?
You need to get it stopped before you need engine work.

I don't think you are stumped. It sounds like your engine is knocking and if you repeat the knocking enough times a head gasket or worse will need to be replaced.
Are you able to reduce the boost?
Are you able to put a higher octane fuel in?
You need to get it stopped before you need engine work.

My car is pretty much bone stock. I've never messed with the boost but I was reading that a bad waste gate solenoid will allow too much boost or something. It could be both a bad knock sensor and a bad waste gate solenoid/hose.

"Get a crack or leak in the hoses and you may find your boost is way over the desired limit and it's a good way to get some practice changing head gaskets."

I'm not sure what the max boost is. Since the car is stock I don't have a boost controller. Im guessing 13-17 psi?

I think its just getting too much boost... probably due to the waste gate solenoid or the lines... or possibly the waste gate itself? I know I've had some trouble with vacuum leaks... I replaced most of the lines... I want to do a smoke test at some point.

Get a real boost gauge so you'll know what you are really seeing for boost.

I'm just worried I may have caused some damage... I've never pushed it really hard so hopefully I'm ok. It's funny, it never knocked before I put big mouth intake and tt chip. I don't know what variables that could cause it... so many.

You need to verify you have enough fueling. The fuel pressure needed to be tested and needs to raise 1:1 with boost. Your fuel pump can be failing, your regulator can be flaky and the base pressure needs to be at 43 for the TT chip so you need an adjustable fpr. Buy or borrow a fp test gauge with a long enough hose for it to be taped to the window so you can see if it is raising 1:1. If the fp is set to 43 then at 12 it should be up to 55. Was the TT chip burned for the octane you can get in your area? You didn't mess up and put some regular in it by chance?

TT chip was burned according to the specifications of my stock vehicle and 91 octane gas. I ordered the boost and fuel pressure gauge. I think I found one potential problem. One of the hoses going from the turbo to the waste gate solenoid was shot and loose. I put new hoses and checked for other leaks. The car still isn't right. I may be misinterpreting the Scanmaster numbers. I will post another thread on this. The car seems to be running way too rich at idle. Even when warm there seems to be condensation or unburnt fuel coming out of the tailpipes. Something aint right.

The only way you could be overboosting without a knock reading is if you had two separate problems. In this instance both of those problems aren't unheard of.

First, get a short piece of hose and run it from the compressor house straight to the wastegate. That will eliminate they solenoid, 3 hoses and the wye.

Next, get a friend to get a long extension or some sort of metal bar and bang the engine while you watch the scanmaster. If you don't see any knock, it's either the sensor, wiring, or ESC module. If you shotgun the knock sensor, make sure to torque it to the right spec. It's sensitivity is calibrated to the torque setting (and don't use Teflon tape)

I tried tapping around the knock sensor with a long flat tip screwdriver... nothing on Scanmaster... I wiggled the wire as well... I should just replace it... Is there a thread somewhere on replacing knock sensor and correct amount of torque? Thanks

It just unscrews out of the block with a ratchet. There's nothing to the R&R. The sensor is just threaded into cast iron, there's no water or anything under it.

I had a brand new AC Delco knock sensor that was messed up. It is possible the knock sensor is bad.

Back