stock axles and drive shafts - when to upgrade?

tom h

When does an 87 TR start getting risky on stock axles, drive shafts, and u-joints?

By "risky" I mean something breaks and causes any damage to the car, even if "it's just the floor pan that got dinged up".

Hypothetically, suppose this is a car that could do 1.70s in 60 foot (wishful thinking on my part!) with MT drag radials. This is a very low mileage, stock-appearing car (with a few common bolt-ons) that would get 10 or fewer drag runs per year. I know, the simplest answer would be "don't ever race it", but please humor me! ;) I do want to keep the car pristine looking, and yet not have an axle or drive shaft fly off.

I think the stocker's should be fine .. my wife and daughters cars were mid 11 street cars with a LOT of drag racing on them over the years . :cool:

Get a good driveshaft loop that will keep the shaft from falling or flying up and hitting the floorboards. Chances are you will never ever need it, but if you ever went faster than stock at the track its a good idea. Rear end is not gonna bust, u-joints wont do any damage.

I dont think you have anything to worry about from what I have heard around here, but the loop is the only "insurance" measure I can think of.

This one let go on a chassis dyno while I stood alongside the car. :D
I think it was an 11.40 car at the time.

It took out the whole exhaust system and broke the tranny case all the way around. The only thing holding the trans together was the pan.

The slip yoke never left the trans, and a foot of driveshaft was still hanging off the pinion yoke.

Not sure about axles, but I don't plan on leaving the stock ones in my car too much longer.

When I switched to the TH400, I didn't even consider using the stock shaft. I don't think they even measure 3" in diameter.
The last pic shows my stock shaft next to the new one I had made for the TH400.

Attachments

• DSC03276 (2).JPG
    DSC03276 (2).JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC03279 (3).JPG
    DSC03279 (3).JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC03284 (2).JPG
    DSC03284 (2).JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC03286 (2).JPG
    DSC03286 (2).JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 295
  • ds3.JPG
    ds3.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 295
This one let go on a chassis dyno while I stood alongside the car. .. I think it was an 11.40 car at the time..
:eek: :eek:
I always thought the 60 ft was the most stressful part of a run ... maybe not always!

:eek: :eek:
I always thought the 60 ft was the most stressful part of a run ... maybe not always!

any parts can break at any given time (new or used) ... maybe thats why new cars have a warranty :biggrin:

I guess you better get a Chromoly Driveshaft too! LOL! Damn!
I seen an aluminum drive shaft split in three before (my old camaro), but that is crazy...

I have alum driveshafts in a few low-mid 9 sec street cars for years with NO problems .. I don't care what ya have ..anything can break :rolleyes:

I bet you are glad the exhaust system was there,

Glad you didn't get hurt.
A good reason to not be near or behind a hot rod (sh!t happens).
Ask Lawrence's son about the muffler coming off TWEAKED. :eek:

Sort of like insurance, more than likely you will never need it BUT piece of mind is worth it sometimes. Just because some people have never had problems with breaking axles or driveshafts with stock parts I would go with an aftermarket driveshaft from Denny's and some decent axles if the car is seeing track time. JMO