You can type here any text you want

Stock Front Cover

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mtbraun

I got the front cover off tonight. Noticed what looks like hairline cracks all over the inside of the front cover. It is particularly noticeable around the front crank seal. I'm wondering if this is common in the cast stock plate. Anything to be concerned about? IMG_6113.jpg

Ok good. My car is all stock now but I plan on doing some mods. As I increase HP does that put extra pressure on the front cover making is susceptible cracking or failure? I guess now is the time to upgrade to a better front cover if needed. I hate doing things twice, but I suspect this car is going to cure me of that.

Ok good. My car is all stock now but I plan on doing some mods. As I increase HP does that put extra pressure on the front cover making is susceptible cracking or failure? I guess now is the time to upgrade to a better front cover if needed. I hate doing things twice, but I suspect this car is going to cure me of that.

Welcome! Do your research here and you'll be fine. I got my first TR five years ago now and I'm like you in that I like to only mod things once and this board healped A LOT! Learn the search function and then just ask after that.

Try these links if you haven't already...

Vortex Buicks
The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide

The cover won't crack under any typical operating conditions. What you see is from the casting process and is nothing to worry about

Normal. Take it apart and port the crap outta it. Easy with a Dremel tool. Set the thrust clearance as tight as possible with out binding. TA Performance has a mylar shim kit with shims as thick (thin) as .0005". I shoot for .0005'-.0015" It will not be even across the gear thrust face as the gear pocket is not even from GM. The other option is to buy a TA front cover already to bolt on. They do all the machining in house and it's better than a factory front cover modified. (unless you mill the face yourself true to the gear pocket.) Do not use a high volume pump kit. It is not needed. If you have low oil pressure after porting it and tightening the thrust clearance, you have a bearing clearance issue, and/or hemmoraging around the lifters. (which can only be corrected by machining the lifter bores for bronze bushings which should be done on a CNC machine. not usually an issue, though)

Back