Stock Market Tomorrow ????????

t-typinator

Anybody sweatin it,on what is going to happen tomorrow in the Stock Market ?
After the first Credit Downgrade for the US in seventy something years.
Shouldn't really affect the markets because nothing REALLY changed overnight, but this could have some ripple effects down the road.
I think they were smart to downgrade it on the weekend after the markets closed,to give people time to settle down + not go into panic mode,I'm sure that was no accident, I'm sure washington did some pushing to have them do it on the weekend,they tried everything to get them to not downgrade at all.

the small investors will panic and try to sell off, which will cause stock prices to go down.. the big investors will then step in and gobble up all the stocks they can get, which will cause prices to go back up..
so the little guys will lose big, and the big guys will win big.
in other words, business as usual.

Well,I guess everyone did panic...biggest one day loss on the NYSE since November 2008.

I wouldn't sweat it too much because you havent lost anything until you actually sell it.

I wouldn't sweat it too much because you havent lost anything until you actually sell it.

Very true...however, it has a phychological impact on buying decisions many of us make. For instance, if you were contemplating the purchase of a new home a couple of months ago vs. pulling the trigger on one now, some of us may have a change of heart. The psychology has me more worried than anything...it becomes a sulf-fulfilling prophecy and the media tends to LOVE to exploit bad news which makes everyone nervous. Like it or not, even when you don't have a dime in the market, when Wall Street sneezes....everyone catches cold.

you have to take into consideration that many peoples portfolios have automatic selling triggers built in if the market loses X amount of percentage points. if ur not retiring anytime soon then it makes very little difference.

I will be concerned 5-7 years from now when I decide to retire. until then, I will continue to contribute what I have been contributing all along as most smart investors will.

you own SHARES not money. those shares are worth X amount of dollars and now they are worth less but SHARES are also cheaper to buy now and one can buy far more shares then they could last week. when the market goes back up as it always does those who have not PANICKED and stayed in will have that many more shares. therefore, ur portfolio will be worth more cause you will own more shares.

its one of the setbacks that Americans get when you vote for an inexperienced candidate that has the thinnest political resume in the history of POTUS.

Washington is so disfunctional right now that not only Amercians but the world has little confidence in the stability of our economy.

this should not be all that unusual when you look at the unemployemnt numbers, the credit rating downgrade, the housing market still suffering, Washingtons inability to come to an agreement on the debt problem, how severe our debt is, banks not lending money (most require 20% down now to buy a house these days), the Wars we are paying for around the world, companies down sizing and going overseas, etc.....

One good thing about working, your 401k contributions are now buying a whole lot more! :biggrin: Being retired, all you can do is watch the carnage and hope for the best...