You can type here any text you want

Strange front and rear brake kits

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

I was wondering how many of you guys run the Heavy Duty brake kits from strange on your GN's. I am seriously considering a set of them for the car but i was hoping to get some real life opinions and experieces.

First off, are all the disks on the heavy duty kits a thick solid rotor, or does strange make the finned rotors somwhat like stock? Anyone know wht they perfer to run solids?

I will be running 15" american racing wheels and doing the 1st gen f body spindle conversion, and a ford 9" if that helps to relate.

Thanks guys

Adrian

You'll get the same results on the front brakes if you use the last of the S-10 Blazer spindles and brakes and it's a direct bolt on. It's a dual piston caliper as well.

That's great but wrecked 2wd blazers do not exist North of the 49th. Can anyone hook us up?

This thread has skewed away from my original intentions, but run away with it boys.

Adrian

I have strange rear pro street brake kit on my car with manual brakes and currently a stock configuration up front. Car stops great without a hard pedal effort. I have also held 10 lbs of boost on the footbrake without any problems. No complaints at all

Is this a frequent problem, as in more often than most vehicles with similar set ups? 4th Gen F-bodies come to mind.

Not sure on frequency but ..yes its a problem with eth sealed units. FWIW My bud did the swap and his pass side hubs started making noise a year after the swap.

Other than dual caliper the brake torque is not enough for me to do the swap. The dual calipers are what you notice ...JMO though

I have strange rear pro street brake kit on my car with manual brakes and currently a stock configuration up front. Car stops great without a hard pedal effort. I have also held 10 lbs of boost on the footbrake without any problems. No complaints at all

Hey Ryan,

two questions for you since i feel that i will be leaving my fronts alone for a while yet.

First what size bore are you using in your master cylinder. I have a 1" but the pedal feels too soft for me still.

second, do you happen to have any photos of the brakes in the rear?

Are you running a proportioning value and a 2lbs residual valve for the rears?

thanks for the help

Adrian,
I run Strange vented race kit in front and back. I use the largest bore manual master cylinder, I cant recall the bore. I also run a 2lb residual valve on the rears. Stops well. I put them to use at over 167 MPH this year at Reynolds with no chute.

I have seen more and more cars now running 2 lb residuals in the front too with the 4 piston calipers in race apps.

i use the s10 rear wheel cylinders. has a bigger bore so the brakes are stronger and its cheep.:D

Attachments

• DCFC0189.jpg
    DCFC0189.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 233
  • DCFC0188.jpg
    DCFC0188.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 238
  • DCFC0187.jpg
    DCFC0187.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 235
i use the s10 rear wheel cylinders. has a bigger bore so the brakes are stronger and its cheep.:D

Matt, let me ask you this. Do you ever see any of the fast TSM, TSL, or TSO cars running drum brakes in ther rear. No that is becasue they do not preform the way discs do.

Do not take this in an offensive manner, but i think we are in two different leagues. This goes the same for the boys with the blazer dual piston calipers mentioned eariler. The day i see a race car with a brake combination is the day i quit racing.

billy, did you notice any appreciable difference between when you put on the 2lbs residual spring for the fronts, or do not have any baseline experience without the residual in the front?

Back