STRIPPED THDP Bolt!!!

O

OldGrayII

O.K. 1 of my Metric Allen Head THDP bolts is Stripped, Luckily its the TOP one, so how do I get it out?????????? The other three broke free OK and are out.

I took the next closest size up Allen socket and hammered it in there. Welding another bolt onto it is definately a better idea though.

Weld a bolt or nut to it or radiac (cutoff wheel) the head of, take off the THDP and work from there. It's easier to weld a nut onto the exposed stud at this point, or with the tension off, it my back out by hand. Make sure the threads are clean and you use anti sieze when re-installing DP bolts.

Well its in my garage, and already half apart for my head gasket job, so taking it to my friends shop and welding another bolt to it is out, would it work if I used one of those reverse drill bit things????

I usually cut off the head of the allen bolt. Once you pull the DP off you should be able to pull the rest of the bolt with your fingers. Or maybe a pair of visegrips.

I'd cut the head off, pull the pipe and put 2 nuts on the now exposed 'stud' and back 'er out.
Good Luck,
Jim

You could try a small pair of vise grips on the head to crack it loose.If that doesn't work,a small flat blade chisel.Angle it to the head and hammer a small notch in the side of the head,then turn the chisel and try to rotate the bolt, hammering the chisel.If that doesn't work,then you cut or grind off the head and remove the bolt after you get the pipe off.Good luck.

Originally posted by OldGrayII
Well its in my garage, and already half apart for my head gasket job, so taking it to my friends shop and welding another bolt to it is out, would it work if I used one of those reverse drill bit things????

You could try one. Drill a hole in the center of the bolt and insert the "easy out" , tap it in tight and turn it. I used one on a power steering pump bolt last week. Think mine was a Black & Decker screw extractor set $7.

when you assemble it all back together, spray some pb blaster in there, it wont ever rust, and next time you tear it apart, you wont have that problem again

Originally posted by The Radius Kid
If that doesn't work,a small flat blade chisel.Angle it to the head and hammer a small notch in the side of the head,then turn the chisel and try to rotate the bolt, hammering the chisel.

YES! Johnny uses his knoggen!

Or try a..er...T35 (I think) torx..hammer it in. Head gasket? Yeowch!

yeah, cutting the head of a bolt that is stripped and turning in the hole is not going to help get it out...neither will an ez out...it will just keep turning..pull on the head and hammer it backwards at the same time while trying to turn it... :)

Originally posted by TurboJim

YES! Johnny uses his knoggen!

Or try a..er...T35 (I think) torx..hammer it in. Head gasket? Yeowch!
Yup,you bang your head against the wall enough,you learn to listen to the people who know.That's how I found out.
BTW,I had a THDP bolt stick on me once and I got it out with the ViseGrips method.Use copper anti sieze when you reinstall the bolts.I *think* they're M8x30 mm. long.

Guys, I got it very easy with a Snap-On stripped bolt socket hammered on there and off it came! And, Jimbo, yes, Head Gasket- read my Buyer Beware post!

Car was running Beautiful, oil LOOKED good, I just lost about an once of coolant in 500mi...so I sent the oil out to get anaylized and BINGO...you got TRACES of coolant in there---HEADGASKET!!!!

Or cracked head/block?!?!?!? Not always the head gasket...ASSume nothing!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Hope it is just a headgasket...Probably is though...

"Or cracked head/block?!?!?!? Not always the head gasket...ASSume nothing!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Hope it is just a headgasket...Probably is though... [/B]

Yea, the original owner was meticoulous and the was 100% stock, it was bought in Nov. of last year by a guy who threw a 3" ATR exhaust, THDP, ect. on it, and proceeded to HAMMER and OVERBOOST it with the STOCK 16 year old fuel pump in it!! :eek: And ZERO SCAN tool!! Its truly amazing the gaskets held out as long as they did! When I get it apart HOPEFULLY I'll see a bad HG! If not - OUT COMES THE 62,000mi Block!!
**Like I said, see my post "Buyers Beware!"**

hey old grey, why are you bashing me? "BUYERS BEWARE" that car was perfect when you bought it, you're making such a big deal about the fuel pump, that would have been my next mod, and an OZ of coolant every 500 miles, do you know how much an ounce of liquid is, if it used a half gallon then i would be concerened, but i think you are doing a HG job for nothing!!! you seem like a worry wart and are doing a repair that is not needed, and i NEVER hammered the car, i have been around turbo buicks and in the automotive field for 15 years so i think i know what im doing, or dont i? well i have said enough, have fun doing your head gasket job, and by the way, those oil analyist people will tell you anything just to make you do a not needed repair, belive me, im in the oil business..............

I'm confused, then what would thier motive be to tell me theres COOLANT in my oil????