You can type here any text you want

Synthetic oil question.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

davidf

17 years ago on my first used GN purchase I switched from conventional oil to synthetic {mobil1 I believe}. Within a week I had a flat cam lobe. Maybe it was just coincidence but who knows. I just purchased one here this weekend that is running conventional Valvoline 10w30, and I want to switch to synthetic. 54000 miles BTW. Should I sweat it?

You need Zddp additive...................or a roller cam. I use Amsoil in my nissan and love it.

Does the car you have now have a flat tappet in it? If it does, expect the same outcome if you do. Use oils with high zinc and a supplement like the one the vendors sell. Kirban has a popular one.

No sweat just get some additive like zddplus to replace the missing elements. Untill you upgrade to a roller....:biggrin:

Tons of info on this all going diff, directions...

Does the car you have now have a flat tappet in it? If it does, expect the same outcome if you do. Use oils with high zinc and a supplement like the one the vendors sell. Kirban has a popular one.

Completely stock valve train.

why even take the chance. I don't like synthetic even with the additives on a flat tappet setup. Just run the valvoline. Engines running conventional oil have lasted many thousands of miles

why even take the chance. I don't like synthetic even with the additives on a flat tappet setup. Just run the valvoline. Engines running conventional oil have lasted many thousands of miles
Thats good enough for me.

If you are running Valvoline Racing oil you will be fine...VR1, VR1 Synthetic, Valvoline Racing "not legal for street" all have the added Zink/Phosphorous for high performance flat tappet cams. From what I understand the "not legal for street" is the favorite and has the most Zink/Phosphorous. I switched from synthetic Mobil 1 10w30 to conventional VR1 Racing 10w30 when I installed the 100lb valve springs and few years ago...no problems so far.

Valvoline.com > Products > Motor Oil > Racing Motor Oil

-Scott

Back