TA49/TE44 real data

Brian what would be a great converter match up for this kind of combo if going all in? My guess is a 9.5" PTC 15 blade.
Idk but looks like it's done at 4600 and super done at 4800. Stock converter flashing to about 4200. Maybe something that's 200rpm tighter than stock everywhere that you can lock at wot or has only a few % slip at the traps not a lot of room to work with here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At what psi range would the exhaust pressure start to be a concern?
It's not picking up much at all over 55psi here. Can't just look at exhaust pressure. Would need to compare to manifold pressure and hot boost pressure

Brian what would be a great converter match up for this kind of combo if going all in? My guess is a 9.5" PTC 15 blade.
Yes want to know also. Since I have a 49 tweak by Brian and a 28-3000 LU from a Husek.

I've done back to back swaps of stock turbo to TE44.63 back to stock turbo, on a bone stock longblock/converter. The 44 is lazy compared to the stock turbo on pump gas only. I've gone 11's at 115-118 on the 44 with some head porting and a 210/210 110 cam and 3000 stall (actual 2800 at 0psi) converter on race gas. I think the 44 really shines when using 3000 stall converter, its an awesome combo on the street in a 3700+ lb GN/T..

May have been something amiss with your combo then. I run the same numbers, but on a bone stock motor,tc,tranny with nothing more than turbo, injectors, front mount and race gas.

Idk but looks like it's done at 4600 and super done at 4800. Stock converter flashing to about 4200. Maybe something that's 200rpm tighter than stock everywhere that you can lock at wot or has only a few % slip at the traps not a lot of room to work with here

Could you achieve 200 rpm tighter with tractor fluid?
I've now seen recommended stall for a 49/44 from 1600 (going by a post by Dusty Bradford stating stock stall is 1800) using hard data to 3200 verified with a high ten run (Mr. Spool).

I wonder how much a PTE housing would help the 4600 RPM fall off? I had a PTE housing with a very similar combo (stock engine with valve springs, THDP, no porting, 3 inch MAF with no screens), and it pulled well all the way up to the 5200+ shift.

My guess would be that turbine housing or valve springs would help this engine pull higher RPM. Just an educated guess.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I wonder how much a PTE housing would help the 4600 RPM fall off? I had a PTE housing with a very similar combo (stock engine with valve springs, THDP, no porting, 3 inch MAF with no screens), and it pulled well all the way up to the 5200+ shift.

My guess would be that turbine housing or valve springs would help this engine pull higher RPM. Just an educated guess.

Maybe raise it 100-200rpm but it would spool like a turd on the stock converter. The valve springs are 102-105lbs on the seat. Ex housing can't do much to help the limited flow of the turbine. Probably 50-52lbs/min here. The compressor is good to maybe 55lbs/min and likewise for the turbine. 5% loss is expected with stock compressor cover. Fwiw it will put to 5400 with the boost in the high teens low 20's

Last edited:
Just how muck HP can a stock engine handle???
Opinions vary. The one in my blue car is over 800hp. It's been in the car for years. I don't expect it to take that level forever but it's been proven it can take a lot more than most have thought in the past. Some can't get out of the driveway with their built forged stroker engines.

I took Rays question to mean stock as in stock heads.
Enough to push the car to low 10's and possibly into the 9's at very high pressure ratios and turbo l. Nothing you see anyone around here doing . It takes a little over 70lbs/min of air to move a 3600lb car into the 9's. this one is at low 50's. I could see 60lbs/min here by switching the Turbo and Intercooler almost instantly and at much lower pressure ratios. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enough to push the car to low 10's and possibly into the 9's at very high pressure ratios and turbo l. Nothing you see anyone around here doing
You dont mean stock cam / untouched stock heads do you? 9s? What would that take 45 + psi? C16?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

You dont mean stock cam / untouched stock heads do you? 9s? What would that take 45 + psi? C16?

yes I do. my fuel of choice would be straight alcohol. Not sure about longevity if trying to milk it. Steel head gasket more forgiving than a composite if pushing compression over it. Your pigeon holed on the valve train also. Build it to trap 135mph at 5500rpm. Probably could get it done

Maybe raise it 100-200rpm but it would spool like a turd on the stock converter. The valve springs are 102-105lbs on the seat. Ex housing can't do much to help the limited flow of the turbine. Probably 50-52lbs/min here. The compressor is good to maybe 55lbs/min and likewise for the turbine. 5% loss is expected with stock compressor cover. Fwiw it will put to 5400 with the boost in the high teens low 20's

I was running similar valve springs. But I had a large FMIC that may have helped. The re-stalled D5 eliminated problems with spool up. If anything, I wanted to slow down the spool to keep from blowing the tires off.

I was down around 25 psi, so the turbine wasn't quite all-in. It did pull nice right up to shift point. A great combo for the street, as long as I had traction.

yes I do. my fuel of choice would be straight alcohol. Not sure about longevity if trying to milk it. Steel head gasket more forgiving than a composite if pushing compression over it. Your pigeon holed on the valve train also. Build it to trap 135mph at 5500rpm. Probably could get it done

Awesome. So steel HGs, alcohol fuel, double pumper, 15-16 blade PTC? 29" tire, 45 psi... Sounds like a fun project. Who's first [emoji4] ive got the fuel system covered but my 17 blade is too loose. What would the pressure ratios look like with my PTE gen 2 6266 with those kind of MAP pressures? Sounds like fun but I had other build plans this winter lol