techniques for the last spark plug

tzque

I am down to the last spark plug .Can someone give me some pointers on the easiest way to get it out ? It was late I was tired figured someone would have some tricks

I am down to the last spark plug .Can someone give me some pointers on the easiest way to get it out ? It was late I was tired figured someone would have some tricks

A long extension and a swivel works great.

I use a socket w/ the swivel built in. That cuts the OAL, so it's easier to use.
I also put it in the lathe and reduce the OD in the area that's down in the head..Easier to put on and remove.

I use a spark plug socket that has a 3/4 head molded into it at the end. Put the socket on the plug and then use a regular ratchet with a regular 3/4 socket on it and use that to drive the spark plug socket. Gives me just the right amount of distance to not have to use the swivel. But the swivel and extension work too. Problem with the swivel I always had was I would crack the insulator one in a while with the torque being applied at a angle.

I use a spark plug socket that has a 3/4 head molded into it at the end. Put the socket on the plug and then use a regular ratchet with a regular 3/4 socket on it and use that to drive the spark plug socket. Gives me just the right amount of distance
to not have to use the swivel. But the swivel and extension work too. Problem with the swivel I always had was I would crack the insulator one in a while with the torque being applied at a angle.
same here works good, no need for a swivel.

Taking plugs out, use of small various extensions, universals, ETC.

Putting them in I ussually take one of the old boots with a peice of spark plug wire to help put them in by hand. Once there comence to tightening with the wratchet about a flat depending. Also dont forget a small amount of never seize on the first 2-3 threads.

I use a spark plug socket that has a 3/4 head molded into it at the end. Put the socket on the plug and then use a regular ratchet with a regular 3/4 socket on it and use that to drive the spark plug socket

This is my method too...them swivels can be dangerous w/ the side-pressure they apply.

I use a spark plug socket that has a 3/4 head molded into it at the end. Put the socket on the plug and then use a regular ratchet with a regular 3/4 socket on it and use that to drive the spark plug socket. Gives me just the right amount of distance to not have to use the swivel. But the swivel and extension work too. Problem with the swivel I always had was I would crack the insulator one in a while with the torque being applied at a angle.

Actually, I took the female drive end off a junk 1/4" socket and cut the 3/8" drive off of the sparkplug socket and welded the 1/4" stuff to the sparkplug socket. Can now use 1/4" drive ratchet....this has to be what the other guys are also sayin...NOT 3/4" LOL! I also used to have trouble getting even the boot off #6. Now,since I have sectioned the heater box removing the evap coil I can now change HG even with studs in...hahahhah

Jay

Actually, I took the female drive end off a junk 1/4" socket and cut the 3/8" drive off of the sparkplug socket and welded the 1/4" stuff to the sparkplug socket. Can now use 1/4" drive ratchet....this has to be what the other guys are also sayin...NOT 3/4" LOL! I also used to have trouble getting even the boot off #6. Now,since I have sectioned the heater box removing the evap coil I can now change HG even with studs in...hahahhah

Jay

Not 3/4 inch drive stuff, 3/8 drive ratchet. The spark plug socket is a 3/8 drive socket, but had a 3/4 head molded on it that a 3/8 drive 3/4 inch socket fits on.