The official V8 build begins

Guys,

Let's keep this topic on track and stay away from derogatory name calling.

Louie,

I am glad that things are really coming together.
Please update us as soon as you and Cal have gotten a little more done.

Louie,

You work so fast I know there is something else done to your project by now.
Would you care to share anything??? =)

John,
Im on hold till mid week. I had a problem with the oil pump and pick up mismatching. I have to still order a cam. After I get that i can do the final assembly. In the mean while i finished the rack and pinion install . And if thats not enough I had to hijack my TTA back from the paint shop as they were letting the car sit during final reassembly. So i have this xtra job to finish.

Attachments

• rack.JPG
    rack.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,728
  • tta.JPG
    tta.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,224
LL,

Let me be the first to tell you that you have a nice rack!:eek:
Please tell me your thoughts on the cam when you get a chance.
The TTA looks sick, I am a little jealous.

John,
Dont know about a cam yet. I spoken to Dusty at lenght on this issue. Im sure hes sick of talking about it. Right now it looks like Ill be going with a Camshaft Innovations custom cam. I am limited by the spring package on the T1 head

(245 closed-625 open @ 1.925 1.550 dia)

and the fact that Brodix has changed their minds and do not want the pockets cut any larger than 1.550. Due to these limitations I think something in the order of mid 600s lift and split duration 250-260 at .050. But what do i know this is all new to me.

Louie, go back and add some more bracing to the rack mount. You need about 3 gussets from that flat metal to the frame to make sure it's can't bend. I'd put one on top and another on each side. That clamp will not hold the rack from moving side to side. If you do a wheelstand with the new power you will be moving forward a lot faster than you used to. When the tires come down the steering will jerk side to side a bit. I can only imagine what the steering components go through. I went back and added gussets to mine after the initial install.

I cut my heads to 1.64 anyway to get seat pressure to 300#. I'd suggest trying it with the 1.55 first. If you have trouble getting the rpm you need, then you can go with a bigger spring. I think 250# will be enough for 7200rpm at least. Your problem will be if that 245# drops to 220#. That will be something to consider. I had enough room to re-shim my springs for more pressure after some runs. I had 250# on the seat in BG. But I had 1 broke spring and a bad MSD chip that was holding my rpm back to 7100. I know I would have went over 170 with these two problems fixed.

I'd let Jay spec the cam you need without worrying about the springs. That way the springs will be the limit, not the cam. My lift was .680 with 1.6 rockers.

Louie, go back and add some more bracing to the rack mount. You need about 3 gussets from that flat metal to the frame to make sure it's can't bend. I'd put one on top and another on each side.

Funny you mention this. I had some metal already cut up for the gussets.. just didnt do it. I will now.

Here is an update. Parts gathering has been slow. But the turbo arrived today after a 10 week wait.

PT106 Gtrim wheel.The little one is a PTE 61 with 4in inlet.

Attachments

• 10661.JPG
    10661.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 3,555
  • 106612.JPG
    106612.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,589
  • 106613.JPG
    106613.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,615
I can imagine after waiting 10 weeks... Guess Precision is having problems getting parts or??:confused:

Update

Here are some pics of the motor.Its basically done. Just need some valve cover gaskets. The plennum is not secured yet, as i dont know if the spacer will be needed or not will work in the car. Its basically used just to get clearance on the iac housing. A probably the xtra volume would help?:confused:

But Im thinking of doing a neat remote IAC install and may not need the spacer at all.

Attachments

• getting there.JPG
    getting there.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 3,445
  • getting there 2.JPG
    getting there 2.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 1,474
  • Almost done.JPG
    Almost done.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,472