The Only 3300 lb. Buick V6 in the 8s using...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be jealous. and i like two small compressors. That's twice the fun as one big one.

If you say so......

GayAsianMen2-1.jpg

You ladies that keep hating on my large compressor, I can understand how you must feel.
You park yourself in a stall next to another guy, and while you're fiddling with your small compressor, you glance over your shoulder to see this gigantic compressor. Maybe there are gigantic compressors on both sides of you. That's got to be very intimidating to see such large compressors. Probably makes your compressor shrink a little bit.
Well, all is not lost. There are websites out there that will help you increase the size of your compressor. Ah,... should only take about six weeks, and you too can have a large intimidating compressor.
Your car will love it too. Nothing gets her to the finish quicker than a large compressor.

So keep hating on my large compressor, ladies. I know where you're coming from. :wink:
ROTFLMAO!!!
I crack myself up sometimes.

You're right, Tryboy. I don't have a clue.

BTW, (said in a quiet, delicate whisper) 8 second car.

Let's keep it productive. Fella's, I'm about ready to have the EGR ports in my cylinder heads filled, what do you recommend as a filler? I was working on a set of exhaust manifolds awhile back in which I have now revised, I already cut one of them in half, and brazed it upside down for a twin turbo setup (planning on twin TE44's for the 305-SBC), so should I just use braze again as the EGR filler in the cylinder heads, or melt nickel? The braze has an unbelievable melting point, just a tad under 2000-degrees, and I will also be ceramic coating the exhaust manifolds to keep them even cooler. Any suggestions with the filler for the cylinder heads, and/or comments about using braze for the exhaust manifolds? Think it will be a problem with the excessive and constant heat? Also, how do you feel twin TE44's compare against a T88? Here is a picture of the one's that I am using (need to be cleaned), the only thing left is to correct the turbo flange (have to cut them off, then clock them the right way so the turbo's face forward). Also decided on running Buick TE44 turbo's because of the internal wastegate, to avoid welding on these any further...

100_0254.jpg

I used magnesium. You can buy it in chunks. Melt it down and pour it in with the Head sitting flush against an aluminum plate or metal flat on the Intake side of the Head. You have to do it quick before the Mag starts to cool and harden.

J-B Racing said:
I used magnesium. You can buy it in chunks. Melt it down and pour it in with the Head sitting flush against an aluminum plate or metal flat on the Intake side of the Head. You have to do it quick before the Mag starts to cool and harden....

As soon as I read your reponse I immediately searched it on youtube. Magnesium definitely seems like the right way to go, thank you J-B...

[video=youtube;weqTWwaaL0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weqTWwaaL0g[/video]

No Charge.
And back to Donald`s finding for answers. Well, Don I do not think you will find your answer. Your Engine performance is based on on the entire combination. But I would put my Finger on the Nitrous playing a bigger part on your E.T.s even though it shuts off. The remains flickering in the Combustion Chambers ( NO2 - Temp ) I think helps while the Car is leaving off the line during the 60` Pad.
But hey...29 years of Drag Racing..``What do I know``!!

Joe

No Charge.
And back to Donald`s finding for answers. Well, Don I do not think you will find your answer. Your Engine performance is based on on the entire combination. But I would put my Finger on the Nitrous playing a bigger part on your E.T.s even though it shuts off. The remains flickering in the Combustion Chambers ( NO2 - Temp ) I think helps while the Car is leaving off the line during the 60` Pad.
But hey...29 years of Drag Racing..``What do I know``!!

Joe
I agree with nitrous being the key to being able to get away with the rest of the combination, which is setup for top end performance efficiency with NO compromises in order to help spool up the 91mm. I would also agree with the combustion temp angle of it, if what you're getting at is the fact that the nitrous/methanol mix helped to quickly get combustion chamber temps UP to a range where the methanol could do more work in the first part of the run.
Even though the nitrous/methanol mix would be much more effective with my combination if it were a nitrous/gasoline mix (even higher combustion temps and quicker preheating of the combustion chamber), the nitrous/methanol mix does get the combustion temps up quicker than if nitrous were not used at all.

Very good point, Joe.

Just how wide can the powerband be on a small turbocharged engine that is configured for pulse tuning?

On this run in 2005, I was a bit nervous. This was the first time to a quarter mile track with this new configuration (build v2.0, pulse tuning). I short shifted to 3rd immediately after shifting to second. It actually ended up being a 1st to 3rd shift. The car only lost 2 tenths in ET compared to the previous run. The engine actually pulled it out rather well, even with the large rpm drop. The N/C converter was in the car at this time. 2400 rpm stall with no nitrous or boost. 200 hp shot got the turbo (old T76) up to speed in 0.40 second, at the launch. No pre-spooling before the launch. Larger cam. 1.5-1.6:1 exhbp to intbp ratio. 22 psi boost on this run.
Grand National WCN @ Las Vegas 2005 - YouTube

The higher static CR I used in that build was really making the alcohol work, at only 22 psi boost.
If I can get the boost up with this build (much lower static CR) where the alcohol can really start working, then... :D

Just how wide can the powerband be on a small turbocharged engine that is configured for pulse tuning?

On this run in 2005, I was a bit nervous. This was the first time to a quarter mile track with this new configuration (build v2.0, pulse tuning). I short shifted to 3rd immediately after shifting to second. It actually ended up being a 1st to 3rd shift. The car only lost 2 tenths in ET compared to the previous run. The engine actually pulled it out rather well, even with the large rpm drop. The N/C converter was in the car at this time. 2400 rpm stall with no nitrous or boost. 200 hp shot got the turbo (old T76) up to speed in 0.40 second, at the launch. No pre-spooling before the launch. Larger cam. 1.5-1.6:1 exhbp to intbp ratio. 22 psi boost on this run.
Grand National WCN @ Las Vegas 2005 - YouTube

The higher static CR I used in that build was really making the alcohol work, at only 22 psi boost.
If I can get the boost up with this build (much lower static CR) where the alcohol can really start working, then... :D

That doesn't actually mean anything at all. The same exact thing happened to me in 2003 with a 347 and a t-trim centrifugal blower. The 2nd gear died in my C4 trans and I made a couple passes anyhow. It was a tad over 2 tenths slower going from 1st to 3d.

Maybe the cheap ass FMS SHORTY headers (emissions legal) were actually pressure pulse tuning the combination :D

That doesn't actually mean anything at all. The same exact thing happened to me in 2003 with a 347 and a t-trim centrifugal blower. The 2nd gear died in my C4 trans and I made a couple passes anyhow. It was a tad over 2 tenths slower going from 1st to 3d.

Maybe the cheap ass FMS SHORTY headers (emissions legal) were actually pressure pulse tuning the combination :D
Try doing it with a 224 cid V6.

Using a C4 trans? That car must be pretty slow for what it is. All the blown SBFs at our track are much too powerful for a C4 trans.

Using a C4 trans? That car must be pretty slow for what it is. All the blown SBFs at our track are much too powerful for a C4 trans.

Of course, all my cars are too slow. And you're right about the trans, that was my second attempt at making it live, and as stated it killed 2nd gear. It never went back in the car after that.

When it did make a good pass with the C4, it was a pretty good pass. For some reason I never went online and made a thread about how fast it was with a C4 though LOL!

Of course, all my cars are too slow. And you're right about the trans, that was my second attempt at making it live, and as stated it killed 2nd gear. It never went back in the car after that.

When it did make a good pass with the C4, it was a pretty good pass. For some reason I never went online and made a thread about how fast it was with a C4 though LOL!
LOL I wouldn't have, either. It sounds like it was a pretty stupid combination to me. ;) Kinda like doing 8s with a 109 block.
Or strapping a rocket onto a car and flying it into the side of a cliff. Well, at least the driver was wearing an open face helmet. Safety first, I always say.

So flyboy. Is that why you hang out here? Your V8 is too slow to compete with the other V8s, so you come over to a V6 site to pick on V6s? Small V6s with small heads to boot? Do you frequent the import sites and do the same thing? "Ha! Ha! My V8 is faster than your 4 cylinder. Your 4 cylinder is soooo stupid." :cool:

You are way too cool for us here, flybait.

Status
Not open for further replies.