You can type here any text you want

Thermal coatimg the insides on teh intake manifold

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
Was thinking.....
About how thermal coating (Jet Hot or Equiv) the intake inside how the thin coating applied just to the inside on a ported and polished intake may have the same effect on airflow as applying epoxy allowing super smooth area possibly enhancing airflow/velocity thru it. I guess the Head intake ports up to the valve seats could be down for all that matters. If it would stick I guess powder coat would work as well.

Any thoughts or experience on this.

Imho

The gains would be next to 0, plus I would worry about it flaking off. On my 85 car which has some kind of coating from the factory--it was flaking off and scratching my bearings--took a few tear downs to discover why the bearings were scratched.

Just like the ID of a pipe coating. Test will show increased velocity. But there is no way to insure proper pretreat and prep. So how long it will last is suspect. Water built the Grand Canyon so constant fuel/air will eventually have to have a negative affect. I have seen test on the increased velocity
on the inside of turbos also but the same thought enters. For how long.

no problem if..

you use a coating co. that does that sort of application on a regular basis.
Calico, PolyDyn, etc., should be players in this market.
But, the main point for doing this application is HP.
Truth is, if it was me spending the e$$ort, I'd put my $'s somewhere else.
If you were running a NASCAR situation, I'd give it a little more thought, but not for a what amounts to a street setup.

I thought there was a slight advantage to NOT getting the intake and its runners, glass smooth. someone on here likened it to the surface of a golf ball, and how it actually helps if you leave the texture alone in our intakes.

Petty sure thats with a carb the rougher surfaces keep the F/A mix better post carb

There is a thin layer of air at the wall of the port that does not move significantly. This area is called the "Boundary Layer" of air. A smooth surface will not get this air moving. A rougher finish has been shown to reach through the boundary layer and get more air moving.

The coatings you are considering will not improve airflow but will more than likely decrease airflow. You would be better off looking into a thermal coating on the underside of the manifold to keep engine heat out of the manifold.

Dave

Attachments

• Boundary layer.png
    Boundary layer.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 161
underside of manifold...

is a positive and also combustion chambers and pistons, exhaust ports, etc.. With a turbo application (forced induction), I'm not stepping out on that limb but I do have experience with coating the inside of filler cans & FWIW NASCAR catches you doing it, you'll end up in deep doo! Yes gas comes out at a increased rate.
Intake runners and such I'm not too sure but we have fudged intakes with ceramic covered with teflon to reduce boundary layer temp and that works very nicely. The polymer needed to be applied in light of rules violation to cover up the ceramic.

Thats cool about the fuel can. Good point on the boundary layer...forgot about that.

If this is to be used with iron heads or unported aluminum heads then you will see zero gain since the intake will outflow the heads by a lot once the port outlet has been cleaned up. Polishing intake runners will do nothing to increase power.

Back