You can type here any text you want

Thinking of moving to GA few ?'s

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

corymc

what are the emmisons laws in the state?I built my engine in MI where we have no emmision laws and car has all of the egr deleted, the intake is welded. Thdp with dump on it. I am thinking of Atlanta area but just want to know about the laws. I heard only certain counties have the testing is this true? and if so what ones so i can try to live in one with out testing

I live just across the river from augusta, ga....no testing there!....also no testing south of us not sure about north of ATL

I have family in Acworth which is north of ATL and that county has testing. She bought a car here but mentioned having to have it tested there before she could get a tag.

I found a website for it its only 13 counties that do it and they are mainly the ones that surround Atlanta

What county/city are you looking into moving into? My county has no emissions, and 1 mile away the neighboring Co. does. Also, I believe there is an age limitation on cars that are req'd to take the emissions here, but I am not 100% sure.....something to look into.
Hopefully we can add another GN owner in our area, met a new one at a show on Sat night, always cool to share knowledge and stories w/ a fellow enthusiast.

I was lookin around the Atl area becuase i plan on workin in one of the VA hospitals. I am a disabled veteran and they pay decent plus i have a hiring preferance with them. You know of any other veteran friendly companies there. I have my emt , and have been going to school for Respiratory Therapy and nursing.

I live in Newnan and we have testing, they don't look at the EGR on mine, but do look for the cat. My 83 has a dump and passed every year.
Piece of advise, work and live on the same side of town. ;)

Greg about how far of a drive is it from Loganville to Decatur? How long does it take? What are the nearest hospitals?

Dublin GA has a large VA Hospital. This city has a small town charm, is located in the center of the state, and this area has a low cost of living which would equate to more for your money. Hope this helps some. :)

Atlanta

I have a GN as my daily driver in Decatur. You do have to have it tested. Mine is dead stock and I think I've had it done twice once when I initially bought it and one more time after that and it's done fine both times.

Loganville is- I don't know about 45 minutes from Decatur with no traffic? Depends on what you're driving too, sometimes I make it out there in 30 :biggrin: BUT. this is Atlanta, I dare say you're looking at an hour and a half, hour and a quarter with traffic because the VA hospital is close to Emory and every single other person in Gwinnett comes down 78 to go to that area in the mornings and back out in the evenings.

You NEED, MUST, ABSOLUTELY, BE SURE you have several LAYERS of security on your car in Atlanta.

yeah i wouldnt drive it to work anyways, i wont drive it to my work now cuz of the crime i just take my explorer nobody wants one of those. Im lookin out to covington way now but i dont know where i would be working just the VA is an option i think i want to get out of medicine and back into cars.

It doesn't matter where you drive it. If you would like to keep it, get layers of security.

You'd be surprised at what people steal. Some years ago I knew a lady whose then 4 year old Plymouth Sundance was stolen. Some people behind me had an a-body Century stolen.

Stone Mountain is a good place to buy a house in Atlanta now- very cheap! but terrible schools- and close to VA/Decatur, that would be a good thing to do until you can get on your feet.

Greg about how far of a drive is it from Loganville to Decatur? How long does it take? What are the nearest hospitals?

Decatur is about 20 miles down hwy 78 from Loganville/Snellville. Its a boomoing town in Loganville, and Gwin Co schools are funded well if that matters.

Depends on the area in Gwinnett

Ya Gwinnett cty schools can be good, they vary a lot, I think South Gwinnett is awful- but Brookwood is very very good still. I still do some tutoring work out there - but like you said no kids so you don't care. Where you live makes a HUGE difference in the schools in ATL. Also check out traffic patterns. You can spend just as long going 5 miles in ATL as going 30 if it's the wrong area at the wrong time of day.

Back