Threw a rod. What else should I have done?

Fred Newton

Q Ship
First time engine has been worked on. Any suggestions on other things I might have mechanic do on the engine while its out? Mileage is 100K and never had a problem before. Pt49, alchy,60 lb injectors, Walbro and power plate all bolted on.

?

where did you throw the rod? some kind of new olympic event or what?

or do you mean spun a bearing?:eek:

Mechanic just now starting to disassemble lower end and really not sure what happened in there. Will know soon but any suggestions on other things to look at while engine is out.

I would think if you threw a rod, you probably won't be saving the motor.

Keep us posted on what he finds.

Fred, make sure you have the crank checked very carefully. Depending on what happened and how, the crank can be cracked, bent or?

Not sure of a good crank shop in Flag? Just call me if you need some info.:)

Thanks Nick, I'll do that. He's talking about a shop in Verde Valley. Should know much more by the end of the week. If its too bad I will talk to you about a new motor if you don't mind. Pretty sad situation, it was all tuned with new turbo and on the third and last test run it let go.

upgrades

Good time to upgrade to center billet caps with arp main studs and rod bolts for extra insurance against any other future mods like turbo or intercooler.

Thanks 87Buickracer. "extra insurance" is definitely a priority this time. I see you have a "girdle". My mechanic mentioned that too. Good idea?

rebuild

Fred,

I have a motor that was built by Nick Mchale in AZ. I would recomend you send your motor to him or a reputable Buick builder. He is in your area.. I have ran the poop outa mine and is going strong. Of course it is always at a safe tune as well, anything can be hammered if not tuned right..

Just my o2........

Den

Fred,

I have a motor that was built by Nick Mchale in AZ. I would recomend you send your motor to him or a reputable Buick builder. He is in your area.. I have ran the poop outa mine and is going strong. Of course it is always at a safe tune as well, anything can be hammered if not tuned right..

Just my o2........

Den
I may well end up having Nick do it. He put in my injectors and his reputation is really excellent. I do live 2 hours north of Phoenix so its hard to run down there everytime something goes wrong that I don't understand. My local mechanic has several years experience with the GN's and has one himself so I trust him to do the diagnosis. He will consult with Nick if need be. I see you also have a 72 Mach 1. Fun car but mine is really cold blooded. Needs to warm up several minutes before it runs smooth. Do you have that problem?

as close as you are i would defenitly take it to nick and have him get it built for you. Nick is currently building my motor and i know i couldnt have taken it to a better person. i live about 2 hours from him as well but its worth the drive. i always like getting stuff done right the first time so i dont have to spend more money getting it fixed.

Are you having Nick do anything special in your rebuild or just a basic stock rebuild? As you can see by the thread I've gotten some good suggestions.

nick is setting me up with Stock Crank turned and polished,Stock Rods,Cp Pistons,His max ported iron heads,206/206 cam,billet center main caps and all good bolts threw out. im just doing the basic rebuild this time just to get the motor up and running but covering the areas that need to be covered. i had to go with new pistons since 4 out of the 6 where hurt in my motor. Also i figured since the heads where off i should do them now since its apart.

Do you know his turn around time on the motor? When the snow flies up here I park it for the winter and I'd love to get a few more months of drive time.

im sure nick will work with you and a good turn around time. just depends how many motors they are working on. call him and set something up. nick is always willing to help people out and work with them. i cant tell you the turn around time for mine since im currently deployed over seas and they said it would be done before i got back.

Do you know his turn around time on the motor? When the snow flies up here I park it for the winter and I'd love to get a few more months of drive time.

I have a fresh short block w/heads sitting on a stand.

Give me a call and will see if it fits your needs, if not I can let you know how soon for a custom build:)