Throttle Valve Cable (TV) Keeps Falling Off Rod?

daredevil95

Hi, I just installed a used low mileage 200R4 trans into a 86 GN, I'm having a problem with the TV cable, the cable keeps slipping off the tiny rod that hooks into the TV cable at the transmission under the car. The TV cable is a Highway Stars cable that I bought in 2016 and seems to be in decent condition. The TV cable connects to the TB with no issues and adjusts properly and locks so, what causes the cable to unhook at the transmission under the car? It's driving me nuts, I have to keep jacking up the car and reattach the cable, it falls off within 5 minutes of driving and there is tension on the rod coming out of the transmission, I pull it up with needle nose plyers, hook the rod into the TV cable with no issues, it snaps back into the transmission and there is tension at the other end of the TV cable at the TB(springs back) but, not for long. Does anyone know what I should look at to fix this? I was going to drop the pan and check out where the rod connects to and see if there is an issue or buy a new TV cable....IDK? Any ideas?

Throw it in the garbage and find you a stock stock one.

I just had a a Highway Stars cable burn up a brand new trans because the cable was the wrong length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throw it in the garbage and find you a stock stock one.

I just had a a Highway Stars cable burn up a brand new trans because the cable was the wrong length.

Thanks, I'm looking for a cable. Only folks that make them are Highway, Kurban & Gbody. Hopefully I could find one on craigslist.

is it possible that the tv valve may be sticking ? That’s the only way I can think one would fall apart after being assembled. Was the cable used on another trans with no issues?
I have been running a highway Stars tv cable with success for 3 years on a mid/high 10 sec car, they are not garbage.

A friend gave me a used adjustable cable and I'll install it tomorrow. The Highway Star cable tran end is no longer completely flat, I think that may be part of the problem and I'll also bend the hook so it will lock into the cable more securely. I'll update post when after new/used cable is installed. Also, I filled trans with Dexron VI, I figured newest fluid is better but, I read mixed reviews on using this type of fluid. Any thoughts?

Dex VI is all and use and what my trans builder recommends.

I this you will see a big difference in the two cables. I had my trans built about 6 months ago and in the process I picked up a new TV cable from HS just to have a new one. 3 months later I was pulling the trans again. Come to find out the cable is not the correct length and was not closing the port as it should. Put a stock one on the new build and all pressures are correct now.

I would have called Highway Stars and made them aware of your issue. They are helpful peeps and one of the good vendors!

Dex VI is all and use and what my trans builder recommends.

I this you will see a big difference in the two cables. I had my trans built about 6 months ago and in the process I picked up a new TV cable from HS just to have a new one. 3 months later I was pulling the trans again. Come to find out the cable is not the correct length and was not closing the port as it should. Put a stock one on the new build and all pressures are correct now.

Dex 6 is syn blend and a very good choice. Reg Dex 3 is good to but 6 will take more heat. also John Deer Hygard can be mixed or used exclusively as well.

If you're trying to adjust an after-market cable or really any cable for that matter if you want to know if it's 100% spot on his to have the pan off and when you reach full throttle with the gas pedal the TV valve which is what the cable is hooked to on the transmission end should be fully stroked at the same time and as far as bending that link at the end of the cable don't do it if you're having an issue something is wrong and you should find out where the problem is

I installed the adjustable cable today, the cable was a used cable but, in very good condition and works well. The car runs great when it's cold but, soon as it warms up, when I give it some throttle, the car bogs and wants to stall? I'm not sure what that is, the engine runs fine while idling, I could rev it up in park and it runs great and soon as I start driving away, takes off fine until I goose it and then it bogs down and wants to stall (not while cold but, bogs when temp is normal). I have to pull it back in the garage to see what is wrong or what I missed but, I'm pretty thorough when disassembling or assembling but, something is not good. I'm in CT so it's friggin cold outside and I already started another job on my jeep TJ so, gotta finish that before I could get the GN back in. Any thoughts as to what could be wrong? Looking for ideas and something to think about until I get the GN back in the garage? I went from a built transmission with a non lockup converter to a original all stock, lock up converter with very very low mileage transmission, I blew the old tranny so many times that I thought it was time for a whole new trans plus, I want to take apart the old tranny and learn how to rebuild it myself. Anyways, any ideas would be appreciated.

As far as Highway Star goes, I bought the cable in 2016, I'm on my 2nd tranny since then and I don't blame the cable, broken drum on last trans and it feels as though drum broke again idk yet?. The bottom flat plate of the cable that seats on the tranny was warped and would not sit flat thus, the cable falling off the rod. The used cable sits flat and works fine, I put about 5 miles on the car this afternoon and no issues(except severe bogging). Trans shifts smooth and has oem quick upshifts, not prolonged but, much softer although when on the throttle it shifts solid and I'm happy So, that's the facts. I'll eventually upgrade this trans when I get a few other projects completed. Thanks for the help

I actually just have had the same issue with a customer car I’ve been working on . Luckily I had another one that I replaced it with and it hasn’t fallen off since .