TORCO unleaded octane booster

TURBO E38

I am paying $6.00 gallon for SUNOCO GT-100 unleaded race gas, IT is great stuff, smells kool, is oxygenated, Really kicks butt and allows alot more boost!

I know , WHY DON'T I JUST GET ALKY?
Well I have thought about it but Just LIKE RACE GAS

I have Just ordered 5 gallon pail of TORCO MACH ACCELERATOR UNLEADED ADDITIVE FOR $ 178 SHIPPED

CLAIMS ARE 104 octane when I quart is added to 10 gallons of 93 pump gas.

5 gallons will treat 200 gallons of gas, THAT WORK OUT TO 89 cents a gallons added to what ever you are paying now at the pump for 93.

IF you are paying 3.16 a gallon , THAT now $ 4.05 per gallon for 104 octane,
I have read this stuff is REAL and the best octane booster on the market and it WORKS.

I will know next week how it will stand up against 100 unleaded race gas.

I am now spending at least 60 bucks everytime I go to the local speed shop and get 10 gallons of GT100, so I figure that the $178 for the TORCO additive will be about 3 trips

200 gallons of SUNOCO GT-100 will cost me $1200

195 gallons of 93 shell v-power will cost $616
5 gallons of TORCO= $178

-----------------$1200 for 200gallons GT
-------------- -$ 616 for 195 gal 93 shell
-------------- -$ 178 for TORCO mach

REAL WORLD(alot less than IDEAL) HALF THAT

Keep us posted on your results, sounds interesting.

Also could you copy and paste a link, I'd like to read about.

Torco

Keep us posted on your results, sounds interesting.

Also could you copy and paste a link, I'd like to read about.

Yeah was wanting to try the stuff but can't find it here, auto stores carry some Torco stuff but not the OB. Most don't know what I'm talkin about.

Although I have heard great things about Torco gas additive, and I have heard that it is one of the best of the additives, turbobuicks do poorly in general with any octane booster because:
1: any and all octane boosters have a lead or a lead substitute of some type in them, and that product, regardless of what it is and what name it goes by will plug your cat and destroy it. Prematurely and permanently.
2: Same product for same reason will prematurely and permanently destroy your oxygen sensor.
3: Turns plugs orange.
GET ALKY CONTROL BY RAZOR.
I have been running VP 100 octane for about a year now, and I love it, and I love the smell, (nothing smells as good as race gas, even sex), but I am in the process of switching over now. Fwiw, race gas does not have the cooling effect of alky, so on a street turbobuick, you can make the same HP & TQ with less boost, or you can make more HP & TQ with the same amount of boost that you were running with race gas. (As a general rule, everything else being equal, & under optimun conditions, of course).
HTH
You do have a Scammaster, don't you? If not, better get one for your experiment.

Wells, I Hear Ya, What Are You Paying For Vp100?
I Think Manganese Turn Plugs Orange, That Is What Is In Alot Of Octane Boosters

im still trying to google whats in it, all i can come up with is (Secret concentrated space age copolymer mononuclear bonding resin agent with flavor crystals):)

but i did see some stuff on LS1 forum about it from the resident chemist

Wells, I Hear Ya, What Are You Paying For Vp100?
I Think Manganese Turn Plugs Orange, That Is What Is In Alot Of Octane Boosters

$ 6.79 as gal for VP 100 octane, but about 4 months ago it was $ 5.89, and then in 1 big bounce it jumped to $6.79, an increase of $ .90 and I decided then that the alky system that I had bought a year or so previous for Christmas was going on the car.
If you do a search you will find what is in it that screws everything up in smog controlled cars. It is an acroynm consisting of 4 letters that is a common lead substitute. And I am not saying that it is not good, it is the best of the octane boosters, and if I did not have a smog controlled car, like an early '70's series car, I would be running it in a heartbeat. Anybody remember the Moroso octane booster sold in the blue or blue & red gallon cans from the mid '70's to the early '80's. That stuff was great, and I ran it in everything. Good stuff.

If it does what it says then go for it, but I personally won't run it. I don't see how every spray of fuel being combusted can be 104 like they claim when 10 gallons of gas gets mixed with a bottle (ounces ) of the stuff.

I run a mix of 110 leaded ( $5.30 ) and 93 for 100 to 101 octane and as long as you use a Denso stainless O2 sensor, you will get about 10k miles on it.

And most of us don't run cats so no worries there on the lead.

I swap plugs every 2500 miles but am interested to see if the Torco kills the plugs if it's unleaded.

that report find fault with everyting and is 20 years old!

NOT sure what MAGIC ingredient that TORCO uses, but there has to be some improvements in fuel tech in 20 years!

REGARDS < TURBO E38

NOT sure what MAGIC ingredient that TORCO uses, but there has to be some improvements in fuel tech in 20 years!

REGARDS < TURBO E38

it doesnt matter that the report is 20 years old, theres nothing new in terms of fuel additives its also noted on that 20 yr old report about the mtbf er whatever it is (not mmt) and how it contaminates groundwater and when did they start phasing that out? not 20 yrs ago

think Alcohol injection is brand new to the scene? Charlie Chayne lead engineer in 1951 for buick had it on his XP300 concept and who knows who messed with it before that.

information to read is just something to read I dont knock any of it, i found it pretty interesting and passed the link along the link doesnt knock any additives, the guy just gives a discription on diff fuels and additives, diff blends for summer and winter so forth

Razors Alky kit!

With your savings in the $400 range you can now get alky and really start saving some money! I done 20-25 passes along with street driving and getting on it quite a bit, I only went through 8 gallons of methanol ALL YEAR!

$3.00 per gal x 8 = $24.00 NOW THATS SAVINGS!!!! :biggrin: ;)

I've tried the torco additives before, both the leaded and unleaded blends. They're available locally from E+R performance in quart cans. The Buick did not like it as much as genuine Sunoco GT100 even when I double-dosed the tank for an advertised 110+ octane.

Let us know how it works for you.

Some fuel info.........

This is slghtly off topic, but figured it is a good place for this info.

Last summer our normal fuel supplier started handling Torco fuels. Most of the turbo Buick race car locally had been been using Sunoco Maxmal 116 octane for years and other racers used Sunoco 110 and 114 fuel for their high HP cars.

Recently we have seen some problems creep into the way our cars have responded and run. I noticed hard starting, plugs fouling and bad idle in my car and a few others.

Our engine builder had unknown problems with his consistant big block race car and found the pistons and rings damaged due to detonation? He also used Sunoco for years and recently switched to Torco fuel. Many other local race engines were found to have the same problem. It was determined by other local shops and a national manufacturer of engine race parts that it was a due to an fuel/octane problem.

When I drained all my Torco and replace it with Sunoco, my problems immediately went away, starts MUCH easier, picked up 250-300 RPM at idle, plugs now look better and last longer, and stumbling no longer a problem.:smile:

What I was told by local people doing the research on this situation is that Torco, like VP, is a blended fuel. Sunoco is a refined fuel. Even though all fuels have additives, the blending and mixing formulas are different and since they use outside suppliers around the country to do this, all their fuel is not created equal.:confused:

Years ago we found VP to be very inconsistant and that is why we switched to Sunoco. Again, from my source, Torco depends on suppliers for their fuel and does not have in-house quality control.

At the National event here in Phoenix this year, 2 trailer loads of VP fuel would not pass NHRA fuel check and it all had to be replaced.:eek:

This issue is not local to our area as we have the same info from other areas and some high dollar race engine builders.

If there is any point to this post, it is what I tell local guys. If you are going to race your car, on the street or strip, use the best fuel you need for your application. Trying to save a few $$$ now, can cost big bucks later.

Pump gas here, and lots of places around the country, contains 10-15% alcohol. So trying to tune and run high boost with pump gas and alchy can have disastrous and expensive results. It is a crap shoot with pump gas as they do not always post it contains alcohol. Case in point is in Missouri they have done this for months and are not required to post anything about it on the pumps.:confused:

Fuels

Thanks Nick great info.. We have crap pump gas here in NM, it's only 91 octane and then in the winter they add even more ethanol/oxygenated additives to the mix, so they don't even post octane levels just because they're not exactely sure what it is, they know it's above 91, this is what an ex Texaco owner told me. That it was a crap shoot in the winter months to know exactly what you're putting in your car. There's only a few places that carry race gas and they carry VP will have to try and find Maximal/Sunoco locally. Now isn't Sunoco the only gas NASCAR runs? Must be a reason...

Thanks for the info Nick.

I'm lucky I guess, Sunoco race fuel is readily available all over Chicagoland. There are 2 pumps right here in Lake in the Hills and 5 more within 30 miles!

Thanks Nick great info.. We have crap pump gas here in NM, it's only 91 octane and then in the winter they add even more ethanol/oxygenated additives to the mix, so they don't even post octane levels just because they're not exactely sure what it is, they know it's above 91, this is what an ex Texaco owner told me. That it was a crap shoot in the winter months to know exactly what you're putting in your car. There's only a few places that carry race gas and they carry VP will have to try and find Maximal/Sunoco locally. Now isn't Sunoco the only gas NASCAR runs? Must be a reason...

They sell Trick race gas in ABQ at the station down at 1st and mountain. I have been told that it is the old Union 76 race gas formula. I have been mixing the 110 leaded with super unleaded (91) 50\50 and have been able to run 25 pounds boost with 28/25 timing with no knock. Petty good stuff and cheaper than VP.

Nick, similar results found here in Norcal.... Torco 100 octane unleaded made my plugs and 02 sensor orange. Sunoco and formerly Unocal 100 didn't do that if I recall.

Well i use it in my 03 cobra, and it works great! I get the 6 pack because they want Hazmat shipping for the 5gal can.