You can type here any text you want

Traction Contol

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I'm interested in traction control and both XFI and Big stuff have it.
I have no prefrence in either one, as far as other functions other than the traction control, both are good.
Does any one have experiance on BOTH of the systems traction control functions?
Any advantage on one... etc.

From what I gather on the XFI unit, you set the accelaration rate slope on the graph so that its just above normal acceleration and it can pull timing or cut timing all together if the wheel spin exceeds the limits of the setpoints on the graph....

I'm looking to buy a new unit as soon as I sell my older bank to bank FAST system.

I'm interested in traction control and both XFI and Big stuff have it.
I have no prefrence in either one, as far as other functions other than the traction control, both are good.
Does any one have experiance on BOTH of the systems traction control functions?
Any advantage on one... etc.

From what I gather on the XFI unit, you set the accelaration rate slope on the graph so that its just above normal acceleration and it can pull timing or cut timing all together if the wheel spin exceeds the limits of the setpoints on the graph....

I'm looking to buy a new unit as soon as I sell my older bank to bank FAST system.

The BS3 employs a different method than timing control. I have been in a street (truck) with a TURBO LSX engine (John Meaneys Truck:eek: ) and all I can say is it really works. I will be using it this spring and giving tech support to BS3 owners. If you are interested in more detail give me a call.

Steve Petty, Mike Moran, and many others have been using it. It's called Torque management.

You really cant go wrong with either system,The traction systems in both have been proven to work tremendously when setup correctly.
You must understand these do not work like OEM systems found in todays cars.

Ted. How does the BS3 control tire spin?

TurboTerry87gn. I have used the XFI control and it works very well also. It's very responsive. I could feel the car loose traction but it caught it so fast that I never had to lift. I used the option to pull timing. It takes a little time to figure out how much timing to pull and how fast to put it back in but it's very effectiive. You can control spin by this method or use a rate increase which drops cylinders. I prefered the timing method because dropping cylinders messes with the a/f ratio. The dead cylinder makes the a/f read laean and the ecm will try to add fuel when it isn't needed. You can tune around it but if you like having correction on it's best to use an option that pulls timing.

Reply from Big Stuff himself, John Meany

I emailed big stuff and John Meany replied that there is a ETM box that plugs into you'r ignition amplifier, so I guess the t/c module isn't integrated from his response and he talked about XFI's method of pulling timing out not being effective enough to COMPLETLY control traction issues. He said BigStuff utilizes a 32 point control method that looks at the differential between the setpoint and the driveshaft speed f(t) offset or something like that I erased it on accident but I'm assuming they just drop cylinders like a 2 step. Something close to this...:frown:
I too wondered if there was some programming in the system to counter act the excess oxygen once the power reduction scheme took over, so there wans't fueling issues. I'm not sure how this is accomplished on the 2 step either unless the wideband is disabled on the 2 step.

Oh yeah he said something about only pulling out 10 degress on the XFI... is this the limit?

Sounds like John hasn't tried the XFI control himself. I can pull over 10 degrees if I need to but 10 degrees will knock it in the head. Even if you could only pull 10 degrees and needed more you could lower the timing in the base table. In my testing, this timing feature alone completely controlled tire spin. The only draw back was if you have to pull a ton of timing out, you have to put it back in quickly which can lead to more tire spin. It took some testing to get it right.

XFI has the other option to moniter the rate of increase of the driveshaft speed and will drop cylinders like a 2 step if the rate gets higher than the user input. Sounds like this is how the BS3 works as well. The XFI gives you the choice of which style you prefer. This driveshaft style will recover more smoothly because your basically riding the line you input until the car reaches a point of traction. You have to disable the wideband correction until a certain rpm or limit positive correction.

Sounds like John hasn't tried the XFI control himself. I can pull over 10 degrees if I need to but 10 degrees will knock it in the head. Even if you could only pull 10 degrees and needed more you could lower the timing in the base table. In my testing, this timing feature alone completely controlled tire spin. The only draw back was if you have to pull a ton of timing out, you have to put it back in quickly which can lead to more tire spin. It took some testing to get it right.

XFI has the other option to moniter the rate of increase of the driveshaft speed and will drop cylinders like a 2 step if the rate gets higher than the user input. Sounds like this is how the BS3 works as well. The XFI gives you the choice of which style you prefer. This driveshaft style will recover more smoothly because your basically riding the line you input until the car reaches a point of traction. You have to disable the wideband correction until a certain rpm or limit positive correction.

So I take it you have to tune the traction control while in the car so you can record when the car looses traction. Or do you look at the recorded XFI info and make adjustments on the dyno?

Traction control can't be set on the dyno. It takes testing time in the environment you will be using it. You will want to go to a track and log your passes so you can use that info to put into the system.

Back