Tranny Fluid of choice

Amsoil

I use Amsoil full synthetic. My theory is that if you set the transmission up to shift firmly, such as we do with bigger boost valves, shift improvers, and such, then the extra slip of the new fluid matters less but it's temperature resistance and long life obviously have advantages. In a stock style transmission where the manufacturer wants to please consumers with smooth shifts during testdrives while also semi-balancing long life (the length of the warranty it seems), the shift firmness is set up for one type of fluid to go with the programming or mechanical calibration the manufactuer desires. If the fluid is changed, then the whole calibration is changed as well and then the transmission will go south due to lack of total balance. Probably the reason that some builders cursed dex XI on some tranny's when they first switched as those tranny's should have had the previous fluids viscosity characteristics. Personally, my transmission shifts so hard that I couldn't imagine not using the slickest stuff out there.

I ALWAYS use type F. That's not ATF, that's F. ADVANCE AUTOPARTS F. However, my trans went out in my Red T after only 270,000 miles so I'm thinking of getting some other recomendations ... NOT! :tongue:

Dex 6. Takes heat like a champ. Type F is crap if its going to get over 200*. It wont last. No problem if your going to be changing it all the time

Dex 6. Takes heat like a champ. Type F is crap if its going to get over 200*. It wont last. No problem if your going to be changing it all the time

Yeah, I know. :( Imagine, having to have your trans rebuilt after only 270,000miles. :mad:

I'm suing GM! :D

Yeah, I know. :( Imagine, having to have your trans rebuilt after only 270,000miles. :mad:

on a high 12/13 sec car thats raced 2 times in its life it would prob last.. on a 9/10 sec car it may require better **** than ADVANCE AUTOPARTS F crap. :rolleyes:

on a high 12/13 sec car thats raced 2 times in its life it would prob last.. on a 9/10 sec car it may require better **** than ADVANCE AUTOPARTS F crap. :rolleyes:

Well, that's understandable. If I wanted to spend thoudsands to go that fast, I guess I would deal with the trans fluid.

The original poster didn't say anything about running 9s. He asked a rather basic question.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/2449531-post1.html

Im not concerned with my trans lasting 270k miles. Neither of my cars are anywhere near stock. I need it to to last when behind 800+hp with hard trans brake launches and not have thermal breakdown of the hydraulic oil after extreme driving. This may be an assumption but if i was to take the trans you got 270k out of and put it behind the engine in either of my TR's at any point in its 270k mile life it probably wouldnt last one day. My experience with Type F was good until the fluid got hot one time from a day of racing. Day to day driving was not a problem with. If i got 270k out of a trans i probably wouldnt be changing much myself.

Im not concerned with my trans lasting 270k miles. Neither of my cars are anywhere near stock. I need it to to last when behind 800+hp with hard trans brake launches and not have thermal breakdown of the hydraulic oil after extreme driving. This may be an assumption but if i was to take the trans you got 270k out of and put it behind the engine in either of my TR's at any point in its 270k mile life it probably wouldnt last one day. My experience with Type F was good until the fluid got hot one time from a day of racing. Day to day driving was not a problem with. If i got 270k out of a trans i probably wouldnt be changing much myself.

I can understand your need for the best you can get. But, I don't need any more than F fluid unless I up my performance goals to what yours are. Maybe the thread starter wants to go 9s with his current transmission, but he didn't say so. You haven't said anything wrong. I only made my point, I thought, somewhat humorously, but it is the truth. 270K miles. I'm chiding you. ;) I'm not telling anyone to use F. I stated my actual experience using F and we have no beef. :smile:

If one had used a synthetic fluid one may have gotten 470kout of said trans!!! JOKES :biggrin:

FWIW, I have switched a high mileage under maintained 2004R over Dex 3 to Dex 6 and it's still going fine with somewhere close to about 200k on it. The fluid didn't seem to make any noticeable difference in the shift feel either.

My other 2004R with well over 200k was switched from Dex 3 to Mercon 5 (I worked at a Ford dealership) and that's what's been running in it for years now and it's holding up awesome as well.

These aren't performance vehicles however, one was behind a stock 307 Olds, then a stock 305, the other one was behind a stock 305 now a stock 350 Olds. But they have been driven hard and they've held up much better than the 7.5" rear ends and the rusting bodies.