Transmission Fluid Choice

Dex6 when I had my 200 now I run F in my 400 . And Walmart for Dex 6 was super cheap

My trans guy, {Neal Racing transmissions} uses and sells Amsoil syn for all the units he builds.
I have one of his units in my 87T, w/ Valvoline syn in it. We'll see how it works {15 qts/Walmart/$75} It's in, as the Amsoil was way more $. And, this is a 100% streeter.

Yea I know some, not all, of the tranny guys are saying to run synthetic fluid in their units, just curious, if any of you guys happen to talk to your builder, ask them exactly why they recommend it.My inquiry mind would like to know.Appreciate the feedback.

Yea I know some, not all, of the tranny guys are saying to run synthetic fluid in their units, just curious, if any of you guys happen to talk to your builder, ask them exactly why they recommend it
some of the better syn fluids can take more heat than the seals.heat is not want you want in the 200,with the calibrations and clutch size.

I used this in my current build.

It is cheap and was suppose to handle the heat of spooling a turbo.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
but I don't like any of my customers to run synthetic fluid in my hi perf. trannys even though that's what most of the newer trans. and manufacturers are running.
that's the reason for the its up to the builders response,now you may feel that way and if your a builder its your right too but there are other builders that set the trans up and gets the results they wants using the syn fluid.

I used this in my current build.

It is cheap and was suppose to handle the heat of spooling a turbo.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

It that fluid slightly thicker then regular ATF and red in color? I ask as the trans in this car has a fluid of that nature. I've heard of using 50-50 tractor fluid and ATF and that was the first thing that came to mind when I dropped the pan.

RemoveBeforeFlight

It that fluid slightly thicker then regular ATF and red in color? I ask as the trans in this car has a fluid of that nature. I've heard of using 50-50 tractor fluid and ATF and that was the first thing that came to mind when I dropped the pan.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Probably Allison ATF used in trucks and motor homes my tranny builder recommended it warned me that it would tighten my converter but it's all he uses in race cars.

This stuff is clear. I found it to be about like atf, possibly a bit thicker but not much. I don't really have a comparison as When I put it in the trans was a fresh overhaul with a new to me converter. Working well so far for about a year. I haven't made it out to the track yet to see about launching it and building boost, but on the street it seems to be working well. I bought it on a recommendation from someone on here and because it was $50 for the five gallon pail. The atf at wally world is $11 a gallon and I think that this is better for the heat.

I have already voiced my opinion on this subject but will share this info. I pretty much convinced the tractor fluid is the way to go in a serious racing trans. The Hygard fluid will take a lot of heat and abuse and not degrade.
Now with that being said, I also had decent luck with regular cheapo brand Dexron (whatever spec....) Coastal brand in particular. I never had any long lasting luck with Type F fluid. Always seems to degrade quickly and need frequent changes. If you are running a lock-up clutch in the converter than it may be more sensitive to fluid type.

Here is an interesting log from early this spring. I had just upgraded to a Coan aluminum drum. this drum had some fancy check ball arrangement to aid in drum venting. The check balls were retained by a snap ring that could potentially allow one of the balls to fall between the split in the ring(back to this later). Looking at my logs at the end of the day revealed that my first pass was good but on my second and third passes indicated the line pressure dropped from 210 PSI to about 35 PSI on the 2-3 shift. I removed the transmission for inspection and expected to see badly burnt clutches but to my surprise everything looked pretty good and in reusable condition. It was at this point I discovered the Coan crappy design drum that was the root cause with this flawed check ball anagement. The point of all this story is that there is no sense using fancy additives or unneeded friction modifiers or putting your faith in some trick fluid. I was holding 3rd gear at 35 psi line pressure and 150 MPH trap speed in a 3600# car and Coastal brand trans fluid. If good clutches are used and set up properly well then...... you be the judge......

See below for actual real world data log.
9_sec_pass.jpg

Thanks for the info on the trans fluids. Interesting graph, I've been considering adding a pressure transducer the main line feed.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Some of those fancy additives actually work, I definitely agree on the fluid choice about the high dollar fluid, I personally don't like the synthetics for a clutch type fluid that's why they don't want you putting it in clutch type diffs, its too slick. As far as the additives most are junk but the particular additive I use helps lubricate the valves and helps drop the operating fluid temps by up to 40 degrees. Im not saying it will drop them by 40 but even if it ony dropped them by 10 degrees that's good enough for me every little bit helps.After all the two things that kill transmissions are torque and heat.The lube guard product I use was actually designed by the head chemist for mobil one motor oil, and it flat works.