Transmission Fluid Choice

turboz4life

Hello all,

I have a full billet 200R4 transmission from CK Performance. Just wondering what kind of fluid everyone is running in this transmission or some of the other billet transmissions? Thanks in advance.

Do a search and many opinions and all work. I talked to Chris and went with the Dex6, it is easy to get and priced reasonably for a synthetic fluid. I also like that it is backwards compatible and I can use it in my 3 other Gm Vehicles. Now I only have to have one type of oil for all my cars.

Do a search and many opinions and all work. I talked to Chris and went with the Dex6, it is easy to get and priced reasonably for a synthetic fluid. I also like that it is backwards compatible and I can use it in my 3 other Gm Vehicles. Now I only have to have one type of oil for all my cars.

Just checked price on eBay, $48 for 6 quarts of synthetic Dexron 6, nice! Thanks for the reply.

I found 4 qts of Valvoline 100% syn that is rated as a sub for Dex3 and 6. It is $17.60 per jug, @ the local Wallyworld. They had no qts of Dex6.
O'reilleys had Dex 6 as high as $8.95/qt.:eek:
Am considering the Valvo for the 87 streeter/stocker. Trans has just been gone thru, and needs a fill.
My trans guy uses Amsoil syn. My guess is, this is the same stuff @ about 1/2 price.:smuggrin:

Mobile 1 dex 6 $38.00 for a 5 litre jug up here in canada at my local parts store

I've been using Dextron 6 for years without issue as this is what Lonnie was recommending at the time, however.....now I see he has changed his preference and has B&M Quick Shift at the top of his list.

Here's what he now says (taken directly form his site):
http://extremeautomatics.com/assets/pdf/2004R_Transmission_Install.pdf

Fluid Recommendation

Your New transmission will operate on most available transmission fluids. We have our favorites and will list if you choose to use them.

1.) B&M Quick Shift : This is a high quality type F fluid
2.) Redline, Royal Purple and Most Dextron Synthetics work well and have Hi Temp capacity 3.) Dextron 6: Look on the container for Dextron 6
4.) Dex 3, Type F are all fluids that can be used

I use dex6 in 2 cars...and B&M in the other advised by Lonnie for his trans..

What's wrong with using old school type F fluid???
Type F is my choice. Sure it does not have the life due to heat like the new synthetics, especially the Dextron 6, but it's cheap and you just need to replace it often. B&M trick shift is primarily type F with color additive but it gets high recommendations all the time. I add one bottle of LUBEGUARD red to give improved resistance to heat and lubrication. I will change the fluid every 5-10k miles or as soon as it starts to turn color. No big deal. I like Type F because it gives the firmest shifts with minimal slip. I'm no expert and that's just my opinion. There may be some experts that totally disagree with me shortly hereafter.

Not to hijack this thread but how many quarts does a completely dry 2004r take. Having one built and shipped

Not to hijack this thread but how many quarts does a completely dry 2004r take. Having one built and shipped
Depends on your build (stock pan, deep pan, etc.) roughly 10 to 12 quarts if bone dry. Don't put it in all at once though. Put 5 or 6 then start the car and run through the gears and add as needed. Some overfill by a quart or so.

I know this is kind of an older thread but I figured id put my 2 cents in. Im with Lonnie although I don't know who he is ,but I don't like any of my customers to run synthetic fluid in my hi perf. trannys even though that's what most of the newer trans. and manufacturers are running. The reason for this is the synthetic fluid is thinner and they are making the lube circuit holes smaller for gas mileage purposes. Also it is slicker, which is not good for hi perf. transmissions. I prefer a higher coefficient of friction, or more grab in laymans terms, for a performance transmission.The type F or ford fluid or b&m's fluid is good even the old school dex. mercon 3 is better than the synthetic fluid for our purposes, in my professional opinion. I recommend any of these fluids for use in my trannys. now in saying that the newer synthetic fluid will also run a little bit cooler than the older fluids, but what I also use is an additive called lube guard, they make several different kinds, but I use the platinum in a silver bottle, can be gotten at oreillys. this has a friction modifier in it and will also lubricate the valves and will drop operating temps. up to 20 degrees. if you don't believe this look at what the manufacturers tell you to put in a modern differential with a posi or one with clutches, its not synthetic ,too slick, even they learned there lesson on this, as it will void your warranty, not enough friction to grab the clutches.