You can type here any text you want

TTA still smoking

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

LSTTYPE

Was really hoping my blue smoking issue was the turbo. Finally installed a new pte 6266 and it still smokes. Didn't seem to smoke at first start up but as soon as it warmed up it smoked. Up pipe and throttle body dry and clean. New downpipe with dump just installed yesterday. I tried running it dumped and it smoked out of it also. Installed a fresh intake gasket with the same results a couple months ago. Trying to rule out as much as possible before I pull the engine

If it smokes at an idle it's probably the exhaust valve guides.

Neal

Thank you for the reply. I'm gonna try valve guide seals as a last ditch effort. Someone else mentioned that it could be too much oil pressure but it doesn't have any more pressure than any other Buick I've been around. Oil psi at cold start up is around 65-70, hot idle is 15-20, hwy speed is 40psi.

Thank you for the reply. I'm gonna try valve guide seals as a last ditch effort. Someone else mentioned that it could be too much oil pressure but it doesn't have any more pressure than any other Buick I've been around. Oil psi at cold start up is around 65-70, hot idle is 15-20, hwy speed is 40psi.
Thats exactly what my GN runs. Must be normal.

Hey Luke. Adam stopped by my house today. We chatted a bit about that Tta 340

When I posted about bypassing the turbo, I did not realize you had installed a new turbo. All I was trying to determine was if it was motor or turbo

Your old turbo needed a restricted orifice to keep it from smoking,.. He also had a weird pcv system, it actually put boost pressure into the valve covers lol.

Now that you installed a new turbo and it still smokes. I would pull the plugs, see which are fouled. Do a leak down and compression test, and see if it might be one cyl or multiple ones
If all 6 Pistons are wet with oil vs 1 might be head gasket sucking oil or at least you might not have to pull that motor.
I've done it twice in that car. Not once while I owned it lol

Ps it rides like a caddy with 26x10.5 et streets non drag radials

Keep in touch

Hmmm I never really considered a head gasket issue. That would be much easier than pulling the motor for sure. I will pull the plugs and have a look soon. I'm about half way done assembling my new motor for my Ttype so if the tta needs the motor pulled unfortunately it will have to wait till next year. Maybe it will be something head related. Thanks again for the advice

Remove your cross over pipe and watch to see if the smoke comes from the headers or is gone.
You could possibly have a restriction in the oil return causing the oil to be forced passed the ring seal on the ex side of the turbo.
Ive seen this problem a handful of times

pull the vac block and see if it has oil in it, pcv could be sucking oil off valley pan

Ok I will try those tips. Thank you. I'm gonna check the oil return line or maybe switch it out with the aftermarket one I have for my Ttype. I've tried bypassing the pcv with the same results

image.jpeg
A couple years ago I had an intermittent smoking issue at idle. Turned out to be an exhaust valve guide issue. Put a set of Champions on to solve that problem. Motor had less than 37,000 miles on it.

Back