You can type here any text you want

TTA vin's on blocks

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
This is a GN block but you can see where it's stamped. Same spot on a TTA. Driver side right were the trans and block meet.

engineVINGN231.jpg

Each transmission was hand built for the TTA's. The blue tag pretty much breaks down like this...

000 - JULIAN DATE (OR DAY OF YEAR)
SHIFT BUILD
1 = FIRST SHIFT
2 = SECOND SHIFT
3 = THIRD SHIFT
T = THREE RIVERS
89 - MODEL YEAR (89 = 1989)
XXX - MODEL
0000 - SERIAL NUMBER

It was posted at one time the car number was on that trans tag but that is not true in anyway.

Jason like Jim said look at the block I painted with white spray paint (so I would remember it was from a TTA in my pile of junk ) :eek:

The motor from my TTA #656 didn't have any stamp, however I believe it wasn't the stock motor (still in the garage ;) ). I know the heads weren't stockers they were production fwd heads someone threw on there.

Every block that was in ANY TTA had to have a vin on it. Never did a car leave the factory without a vin stamped on the block. If it was a factory aftermarket block there is no vin on it because it had no car to go with it! Also the vin font is different on the TTA's compaired to the GN's. It's more of a italic on the TTA block. Only the last 8 of the vin is stamped on the block.

Howdy!

The SG1 block was the last block cast by Buick. It was made to be a replacement or crate motor. No VIN is stamped into the starter pad (since it wasn't installed in a vehicle). So it appears there could be some SG1 blocks floating around that never went into a TTA. This is an interesting thread, I'll have to check the TTA block I have.

Every block that was in ANY TTA had to have a vin on it. Never did a car leave the factory without a vin stamped on the block. If it was a factory aftermarket block there is no vin on it because it had no car to go with it! Also the vin font is different on the TTA's compaired to the GN's. It's more of a italic on the TTA block. Only the last 8 of the vin is stamped on the block.

Howdy!

The SG1 block was the last block cast by Buick. It was made to be a replacement or crate motor. No VIN is stamped into the starter pad (since it wasn't installed in a vehicle). So it appears there could be some SG1 blocks floating around that never went into a TTA. This is an interesting thread, I'll have to check the TTA block I have.

ummm I have 2 here (anyway..havent checked the others) that came from new cars (not replacement motors) and have SG1 on them :p

[QUOTE=Grumpy

ummm I have 2 here (anyway..havent checked the others) that came from new cars (not replacement motors) and have SG1 on them :p

Que Pasa Grumpster?

I didn't say they were replacement motors in the TTA's. I said they were Buick replacement motors, that's what they were made for. Pontiac bought them from Buick and installed them in the NEW TTA. Sooo! Of course you have original SG1 motors that came out of NEW TTA's. I hope this clears things up for you. If not, try gnttype.org and check out the block guide in the technical-pictures area. Say! What was Moses really like? :D

Grumpy; said:
Grumpy like me why ??? :confused: :p

Just wonderin! I knew you and him used to swap stories by the old camp fire. HA!:D

where did you disappear to ?? :cool:

No where! I just don't post much. Sometimes I see an interesting thread but most of the time I don't reply, I get in enough arguments with my Buick buddies here. I still see posts on the topica list but not very many and for some reason I can't post there anymore, my emails get sent but they never post. I've had the hot rod runnin sometime now. I put Crane roller rockers in it and a 218/218 roller cam, it's fun!:smile: What's yer buddies Schoenfeld and Ivan up to these days?

Have to check my block when I get it back from the machine shop .... been promised to get it back in February .... have to go there and see what they are doing ....

Grumpy; said:
Grumpy like me why ??? :confused: :p

Just wonderin! I knew you and him used to swap stories by the old camp fire. HA!:D

where did you disappear to ?? :cool:

No where! I just don't post much. Sometimes I see an interesting thread but most of the time I don't reply, I get in enough arguments with my Buick buddies here. I still see posts on the topica list but not very many and for some reason I can't post there anymore, my emails get sent but they never post. I've had the hot rod runnin sometime now. I put Crane roller rockers in it and a 218/218 roller cam, it's fun!:smile: What's yer buddies Schoenfeld and Ivan up to these days?

hot news off the press ... Ivan is a corn farmer now :eek: Mike sold his Buick?TTA stuff and bought a Cobra... sold that and now lookin for a house :eek:

Checked mine last night - It's there!! Last 5 digits match the last 5 of my VIN. Car is on a four poster so it was easy to find with a light, pretty easy to read once I cleaned it off. Very light etching so, if you use glasses, you'll have to bang your head on the shock base to see it head on!!

Thanks - very nice to see.

Checked mine last night - It's there!! Last 5 digits match the last 5 of my VIN. Car is on a four poster so it was easy to find with a light, pretty easy to read once I cleaned it off. Very light etching so, if you use glasses, you'll have to bang your head on the shock base to see it head on!!

Thanks - very nice to see.

Do you have a low,med, or high production car?

re: what have i started

OMG look what have i started now. LOL I am going to look at both my 89 turbo t/a's to see if either of them have the vin number on the blocks..................David A. Smith aka trouble maker

OMG look what have i started now. LOL I am going to look at both my 89 turbo t/a's to see if either of them have the vin number on the blocks..................David A. Smith aka trouble maker

no ya haven't...just post will a THDP give me a 1/2 second and 5 MPH :eek: :p

Back