You can type here any text you want

Turbo Buick Class 101 Complete. Help Needed with Class 102

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
tie-wrap all critical vacuum lines (map sensor, fuel pressure regulator , boost control)

B

Thanks Bob. Car is fresh from my local Buick whisperer. All those things are squared away.
I'm all about prevention though. I feel like I walk the car inside and out like a pilot looking over his plane before I take it out. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The car is running great. 22-23 pounds of boost, O2s above 800, 0 knock, Alky on 4.

What scared the crap out of me was I was demonstrating the new power to my son on a back country road and as we were coming up to a small creek bridge, I goose it/quick stab and I saw the boost go to 25, the O2s were still fine but the knock was over 5. I was like wtf. Caveat, it was cold out and my dump was open which means it was probably making more boost at this time. It was almost like the car didn't like being jabbed and quickly released and would have rather been rolled into it or stomped and held. Or...... maybe I broke traction on the slight bridge lump and Knock was false???? Car was fine afterwards. That was a wake up call.

how much of a "goose"?

with a tune at 22-23 psi, an overshoot to 25 does not sound unusual to me. You might have some alky lag (was it recently primed?)

If it were me, I would carefully investigate the issue and tune it out. I.e. run on the rich side and over-alky'd until this is understood and eliminated.

Bob

I'm runing the sd2 and have a Mac solenoid controlling the boost through the powerlogger with excellent results . I have a table in the tune page that i can put in duty cycle per RPM .

the O2s were still fine but the knock was over 5. I was like wtf.
alky is also octane so if you have good 02s and are knocking you need to add enough alky to suppress the knock and or make sure your seeing pump pressure soon enough,having the alky on 4 can lead to slower pressure and not knowing when full pressure comes in with an overboost situation can lead to a bad day. usually with razors kit 6 on the alky and tune afr around that.if you truly want to understand/prevent you need a fuel pressure gauge off the rail and on the alky system.logging after the fact will allow you to see what has happened also but its not in real time.now understand having a fuel cushion will allow the car on a colder night to eat more fuel and you need to anticipate more as the driver and tuner.

how much of a "goose"?

with a tune at 22-23 psi, an overshoot to 25 does not sound unusual to me. You might have some alky lag (was it recently primed?)

If it were me, I would carefully investigate the issue and tune it out. I.e. run on the rich side and over-alky'd until this is understood and eliminated.

Bob
Trying to replay that moment in my head and I'm thinking the goose or blip was quick enough to where the turbo spooled and built boost but the transmission was late to the game and hadn't downshifted and kicked in yet. Probably not smart to do this. Yes, the alky, turbo, downpipe, etc, etc were all installed last week so I'm sure it was recently primed.

alky is also octane so if you have good 02s and are knocking you need to add enough alky to suppress the knock and or make sure your seeing pump pressure soon enough,having the alky on 4 can lead to slower pressure and not knowing when full pressure comes in with an overboost situation can lead to a bad day. usually with razors kit 6 on the alky and tune afr around that.if you truly want to understand/prevent you need a fuel pressure gauge off the rail and on the alky system.logging after the fact will allow you to see what has happened also but its not in real time.now understand having a fuel cushion will allow the car on a colder night to eat more fuel and you need to anticipate more as the driver and tuner.

Yes, I do have a fuel pressure gauge off the rail that runs to the FP gauge on my a-pillar. No alky gauge yet though.

Took the car out yesterday to play with some settings and just to learn the car better. I have not touched the boost controller since my Buick mechanic set it last weekend. The only variables have been weather and the dump. Yesterday, I left the dump closed and the weather was a hair warmer than when I picked the car up last weekend. Seems like the safe setting on the Alky for this setup is about 5. O2s always 800 or more and 0 Knock. As I lower the alky to 4 1/2 and 4, I get 0 or <1 knock but the car pulls harder. I am not going to play with the boost until either a) I get to a track and want to see the full 25# the chip handles or b) it gets hotter out.

I did get one time where the O2s were 800 but knock hit 15!!! That has to be false, right!?!?! Something rubbed or hit somewhere?? The post-winter bad roads in NJ certainly don't help trying to "test."

Also, I'll be going from the factory catback to a Pypes catback with their louder Violator mufflers this week so the car may pickup some boost? A pound maybe???

I did get one time where the O2s were 800 but knock hit 15!!! That has to be false, right!?!?! Something rubbed or hit somewhere??
Once you verify fuel pressure and alky pressure is there,then you can start looking into the other fun areas that can effect the knock gauge.

How cold was "cold"? If the intake was too cold the alky might not be vaporizing.

I find I need to bump up the fuel some in colder weather.

In simple terms: If you don't prime it every time every time you go out, you will get initial knock because it has to prime itself. Kind of like its playing catch up.

If you mean to do the low test and then high test for the alky, yes, I do that before every drive. Is there some other way to prime?

To prime the system, have the motor running and press the test button listen for the motor to bog or stumble. The lines are now filled and ready to introduce alcohol into the intake. I would set the alcohol to 6 and adjust the fuel to get the car to run better. Adjust the fueling in small increments and the car will start to come around. Don't be greedy and make a big change.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Back