Turbo Suggestion

007gn

What Turbo Would be best for my TA stroker motor . 224/224 cam -On center motor with race ported GN1 heads. But Turbo doesn’t have to be a 3bolt. The car will be Street driven and raced a lot 1/4 mile. The trans is a built 200 with a First gear Trans brale. So I can’t manually shift the trans. I put it in drive & footbrake launch the car . Right now I have a 6870 Turbo 3 bolt housing. I want a turbo that can spool fast and put down at least 800hp to the wheels at 30psi of boost or less. This is a full weight car that I need to run low 9s Off the foot break .Thanks guys

Get hold of the borg warner or worx rep if it doesnt have to be 3 bolt. They are running some hi hp turbo applications for our cars.

Which 224 cam? What is the compression? The 6870 will get you there for sure. On my 274" engine, the 6870 was done making power at 28psi, which was 900+rwhp.

A 4 bolt 75 turbine will make more power, but it will still make the same power at the same boost levels. You will need to run 30psi+ to see a gain.

Thanks for responding Forcefed . I’ll get the exact cam specs Monday from full throttle. Mike speced out the camshaft. I’m not too sure about using my 1201x valve springs & I don’t really care for my 6870 Turbo in the 3 bolt configuration. The compression is supposed to be 10:1 but no lower than 9:1 . & I’m kinda leaning toward using a 7175 Turbo . I’m trying so hard to not sale this crap & go ls Turbo

I have almost the same setup and am runing a 7168 . I would step it up to a 7275 if I did it agian also a 4 bolt

It will make the power you are after, and spool very fast. The key to making power with a 3 bolt is proper cam timing to allow fresh cylinder fill, without leaving crap in the cylinder.

Get hold of the borg warner or worx rep if it doesnt have to be 3 bolt. They are running some hi hp turbo applications for our cars.

..Did someone say WORK Turbo "rep"? :D ...although I wouldn't say "rep" as much as "sponsored racer" and "dealer for WORK" :)

If you are looking for something that will put a SOLID 800+rwhp, look at the WORK S3E Race Unit : https://www.boostedrps.com/product-page/work-race-unit-s3e

It is a custom design by Reed (owner of WORK turbos and horsepower magician) based off a Borg Warner 300SXE frame, is uses a 74mm compressor and turbine wheel. This turbo made 1,198rwhp on a Supra they put it on. On most Buicks they make mid-800s rwhp, obviously depending on how well your heads flow (or don't flow).

My buddy just got that turbo, along with new Gee M Racing headers for a Twin Scroll 4-bolt housing and he is looking to make over 1,000hp at the flywheel. I've spoken to Reed a few times about those headers, and he said the twin scroll design on them should really help the spoolup, even with a large turbo like this. Since it has dual external wastegate provisions, you don't need to run 1 large gate, but can use 2 smaller gates and still have precise control. Here are what the headers look like for the Race Header design: https://www.boostedrps.com/product-page/race-headers-by-gee-m-racing

I was told to wait for a new 7275 gen 2 or gen3 that’s supposed to be coming out ? And also gonna go Vband flange n remove my three bolt flange from the header but I’m still open to suggestions on the right Turbo for this motor . Thanks guys.

Attachments

• CB0D781F-18D7-4F4F-AA3B-8A2C2ABFD449.png
    CB0D781F-18D7-4F4F-AA3B-8A2C2ABFD449.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 254
  • FF4A0025-ACB3-44F1-B582-D41661BDA420.png
    FF4A0025-ACB3-44F1-B582-D41661BDA420.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 231
007; Few have actual experience what you are trying to accomplish.

I know it's winter and Forcefed has already given some real world feedback.

I am trying understand the request;
Are you currently seeking opinions or real world knowledge?

What Turbo Would be best for my TA stroker motor . 224/224 cam -On center motor with race ported GN1 heads. But Turbo doesn’t have to be a 3bolt. The car will be Street driven and raced a lot 1/4 mile. The trans is a built 200 with a First gear Trans brale. So I can’t manually shift the trans. I put it in drive & footbrake launch the car . Right now I have a 6870 Turbo 3 bolt housing. I want a turbo that can spool fast and put down at least 800hp to the wheels at 30psi of boost or less. This is a full weight car that I need to run low 9s Off the foot break .Thanks guys
with your goals I would and have put nitrous on the car.works great with spooling the turbos even with small displacement and off the footbrake.start with a 50 shot and work it from there.i prefer the wet shot.

id do a pt7275 dbb 4bolt in a full weight car seeking low 9s, takes advantage of the higher TQ and eliminates any backpressure issues

You guys don't think the 7275 is too large of a turbo at all?

Maybe I'm crazy, but if you can reach 800whp or more with a smaller turbo that would spool faster...then why not do that?

My WORK 300SXE 69/73 with a 4 bolt twin scroll housing just laid down 950rwhp on a Buick with an engine similar to the OP's, and the turbo still had more room for power in it. Only reason the guys didn't make more power was because they ran out of injector.

Am I wrong to suggest a turbo like that, which costs about $1,600ish...which is over $1,000 LESS than the Precision?!

I know everyone loves PTE, but these Borg Warner/WORK turbos make some serious power for a whole lot LESS than a PTE turbo costs...

He is looking for a street driven turbo with 800+rwhp and the ability to clock off mid-9 second passes without going past 30psi, correct? I don't see how that WORK 69/73 would be a bad choice at all for him, especially with it costing over $1,000 less...

Maybe I'm crazy, but if you can reach 800whp or more with a smaller turbo that would spool faster...then why not do that?

My WORK 300SXE 69/73 with a 4 bolt twin scroll housing just laid down 950rwhp on a Buick with an engine similar to the OP's, and the turbo still had more room for power in it. Only reason the guys didn't make more power was because they ran out of injector.

Am I wrong to suggest a turbo like that, which costs about $1,600ish...which is over $1,000 LESS than the Precision?!

I know everyone loves PTE, but these Borg Warner/WORK turbos make some serious power for a whole lot LESS than a PTE turbo costs...

He is looking for a street driven turbo with 800+rwhp and the ability to clock off mid-9 second passes without going past 30psi, correct? I don't see how that WORK 69/73 would be a bad choice at all for him, especially with it costing over $1,000 less...
I do.i run a 69mm billet it will hit that number and spool fast.op has turbo capable of what he is looking for I believe it just needs the whip.

I agree with this also, but not to many members are familiar with Borg or Work yet,so the go to response is always Pte because they supported our community for so long and have big range of units, I personally don't even run a pte in my cars im partial to turbonetics but id like to try a few BorgWarner units in the future for sure!