You can type here any text you want

UMI Front Lower A Arm Install Spring idexing ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KWIKR 1

did anyone have a problem trying to index the front springs on these lower tubular a-arms when installing a set of new front springs ? There is a little ramp type stopper sitting in the spring pocket of the arms .

Tim just rotate the pigtail to sit against the stopper. Make sure you attach the rubber donut to the top of the spring before fitting it all up inside the frame.

I couldn't...if I rotated the pigtail spring to the stopper a 1/2" of coil sat outside the cup . and there was no way of getting the lower arm jacked up enough to tighten the lower spindle ball joint with the coil hanging out of the cup like that . the springs I installed are MOOG 5660 , they are not a direct factory replacement for a 86-87 Gbody . they are a replacement spring for a S10 , not sure if that was the problem not being able to index them ???

The S-10 chasis and the G body chasis use the same front end parts Tim. Get a spring compressor and colapse the spring onto the arm. Then you can put it in.

The S-10 chasis and the G body chasis use the same front end parts Tim. Get a spring compressor and colapse the spring onto the arm. Then you can put it in.

I have the spring in and everything buttoned up . but, the spring is just not indexed against the stopper . it's about 1 1/2" away . I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow . lol

Lower the con arm and then use the compressor then you can put it back up in the right location Tim. Should've made that clearer, sorry.:(

Lower the con arm and then use the compressor then you can put it back up in the right location Tim. Should've made that clearer, sorry.:(

no ,I understand what your saying ..Thanks . I'll give it a whirl . :)

Everything is good again in Buick front coil spring land . Got them out and back in where they should be ( a bit of a bitch of a job :D ). Everything seems to be tweaked and sitting better overall . :) Thanks guys for giving me the kick in the pants to get at it . :) now it's on to the front brakes . :)

Attachments

• IMG_0001_3.jpg
    IMG_0001_3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0001_4.jpg
    IMG_0001_4.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 87
Back