You can type here any text you want

Undercoating DD for those in the rust belt?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fullahotair

I picked up a north carolina truck this summer (2004 silverado), becuase I wanted a truely rust free vehicle to start with, before I subjected it to the salty roads of central new york. I know there is a lot of snake oil out there for rust prevention, so I was wondering if you guys/gals had any luck with keeping the rust away or at least slowing it down?

Through all my looking, about the only consistent theme I got, was to wash the vehicle on a regular basis and get salt off it. I also thought about getting some aerosal cans of paint and just laying a thick layer of paint on the undercarriage to slow the rust down, but i suspect that might be a waste of time.....

Thanks,
Nate

Nate,

I would look into POR-15. Fantastic at blocking rust and far better than undercoat/normal paint.

Herb,

Thanks for the reply. I am very familiar with POR15, I have used it a ton. It is great stuff.... I would definately use POR15, but it is designed to adhere to rusty metal or bare metal that has hit their Metal Ready, that creats a flash rust, so the paint has something to bite too... I have put it on metal that doesn't have rust and it will come off pretty easily...

Thanks
Nate

Up here in the Great White North we take 'em to Krown Rust Control or Rust Check once a year and get 'em sprayed. Get 'em done once a year...and no rust issues.

K.....find a farmer in your area who sprays there equipment with oil. Ask him if he will do yours....... if not, keep lookin. Farmer's are smart n oil is your friend (used oil that is ....black gold.......Texas........) :biggrin:

Hi Claude,

I just came across teh Rust Check stuff... evidently you can buy that at Canadian tire? Do you have any opinions on it?

My wife is canadian, and a couple of her friends are coming down this weekend...i could have them pick up several containers of it... if it is a decent product...

Thanks
Nate

Hi Claude,

I just came across teh Rust Check stuff... evidently you can buy that at Canadian tire? Do you have any opinions on it?

My wife is canadian, and a couple of her friends are coming down this weekend...i could have them pick up several containers of it... if it is a decent product...

Thanks
Nate

Nate, I've never tried Rust Check on my own vehicles. But I do have them treated each year at "Metropolitan Rust Proofing (the first one in my previous post) with very good results. They take something like 15-20 minutes to do a car, so if it's possible for you, take a weekend vacation, drive north to the Province of Quebec, have your car done Friday or Monday morning (I think they're closed Saturday & Sunday...) :frown: and drive back home afterwards!...:wink:

Claude.:smile:

Back