Update: I really do have 0 degrees timing, and run 12.3 @ 113

I have no opinion what so ever so this is not a flame to anyone... but you did say that the "advance" was 0, but could the actual timing be something else like 12* and it is not being changed (advanced) under load?

I do think that the timing is off because I think your combo should run a lot better...

Congrats Either Way!!:D

ks

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK

So are you saying that Rick Harper did your chip, or did he have it burnt for you by someone else. Or is this some other Harper?

Brad, I hate to say I told you so.... :rolleyes:

Their is only 1 Harper Racing. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Later

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
I'm out at the tower shoppes on most fridays. We have around 40 guys in the club. I've never heard of this Donald Olmstead, is he familiar with the specifics of turbo buicks? If he treats you well, and knows what he is doing, then you can't ask for more.

I'm definately not attacking you. That is what our south florida group is about, helping each other out.

Yes, he built the car, and has built several 10 second GN's as well. So I would say he is familiar. He's built more 10 second cars then he can remember (all makes). If you guys go to Moroso on Fridays.. he's usually there, running no-times, in a silver Saleen with a Chevy 350 in it (that usually gets some attention). If you've watched hot rod TV when they cover the super chevy shows, he's been on it a few times with his saleen.

He's my friend, so yes he treats me well. I'm real good friends with the guy who owns the shop. So I'm treated very well. (also how can you beat free?) He's also the best mechanic I've personally seen. That's not just my opinion, btw, everybody who knows him thinks the same. Also the kind of money he makes.. you can't make that being a mechanic unless you're awesome. Things I've seen him do in a day just boggle the mind (mine anyways). Saw him pull a hydrolocked motor out of a V12 bmw, keep in mind he had never touched a V12 beemer before, put in the new motor, hook it up, and had the car running in one work day. 8-10 hours, and he went to lunch, with no shop manual. Two hours to do long tubes on a 4.6 GT. About the same for gears.

Watching him work on a car is such a different experience than me doing it. With me, there's cursing, I can't get the tool in there, I can't get the stupid bolt going, I strip the bolt, I start to cross thread it, then have to try again, etc. He just does everything looking like he's done it a thousand times and has zero problems.

So hey lookin forward to meeting you guys!

Originally posted by KEVINS
I have no opinion what so ever so this is not a flame to anyone... but you did say that the "advance" was 0, but could the actual timing be something else like 12* and it is not being changed (advanced) under load?

I do think that the timing is off because I think your combo should run a lot better...

Congrats Either Way!!:D

ks

I will check with the timing light.

I thought it was running pretty well for what it has, on pump gas and street radials. I don't know how well the heads are ported, again my friend did them. He's not a head porter so while I'm sure it helps, I doubt it helps that much. I don't have a sweet THDP, I have a 3" exhaust and dp that he bent up on a non-mandrel bending machine. The 12.3 run was on stock valve springs, if that matters. I have this giant 3.5" cold air system necking down to the stock MAF, don't have a sweet ls1 maf or anything. The car has some good parts on it, no doubt, but needs some more to really run to it's full potential (like a converter, some suspension, etc)

Race gas + race chip usually gives 5-7 mph. 113 + 7 = 120. I'd be happy with that :cool:

If I may suggest an idea as to why your seeing zero, if anyone has ever tried reading some thrasher chips with Directscan or any scantool, you may have also found them to show really weird readings. Im not suggesting it is a thrasher. I am suggesting that as TurboBob said, I have seen readings that are Impossibly off, yet that is what the tool is showing. The thrasher ones I speak of typically showed me over 50 degrees advance at WOT. This is just not possible. I see the same issue happening here, what you see (0) and what you get (probably 20 or so) are two different things. :) You may wish to post asking for anyone with a T6 Tuner to pull your chip image and see what is programmed into the main spark table.

Good luck solving the mystery though!

Bob

I'm with Bob. Simple enough to test with a timing light. The scantool probably has an error in the data field for that application, or it's mislabeled. The GN stock app ALDL stream didn't have a timing value in it, but the scantool mfgr probably wanted a data field for it for those apps that do. Things like that happen.

FWIW, even when a GN/TR is stuck in bypass mode timing (the timing fixed at 10 deg) the egt will soar to 1400-1500 just at light throttle cruise. A WOT blast stuck in bypass mode might just melt the headers off :)

TurboTR

Are sure it's advance and not (knock) retard? O° knock retard would be nice and it's something that all scantools display.

This is starting to sound like an infomercial. Bad converter, radial street tires, blown head gaskets, 0 timing and runs 12.3's on pump gas. You really got yourself a special car there. When you get the bugs worked out and buy a set of Nitto's you should be able to beat Carl Hartline;) Sorry no flame just don't believe you.

Originally posted by ULYCYC
This is starting to sound like an infomercial. Bad converter, radial street tires, blown head gaskets, 0 timing and runs 12.3's on pump gas. You really got yourself a special car there. When you get the bugs worked out and buy a set of Nitto's you should be able to beat Carl Hartline;) Sorry no flame just don't believe you.

Thats it he has the Tornado!!!! LMAO:D

How else could he be running 23# boost on pump gas with no alky? I would think the car would be a DDDOOOOGGGG with no timing. Look at the difference we see in a 93 chip vs a 108 chip at the same boost level. Timing makes a big difference in power, especially top end. I think something is missing here, besides the timing advance

I didnt think the gm scan tool showed timing advance. I thought all it showed was knock retard.

I ran mine when I accidentally had a wire come out of the coil pack connector. I assume it went to the bypass of 10 degrees and the headers glowed just sitting there at idle. The turbo spooled instantly but the wastegate couldn't keep up and it overboosted like crazy. After a couple 1-2 second runs like that, the headers, crossover, uppipe, and turbo were all cherry red. The turbo looked like it was see through and lit up the whole engine compartment. If the car would even run at 0 degrees it would melt something in a hurry.

With a TA-49, 40 pounders, ported heads, yadayadayada, 23 psi and street radials and 93 I turned a 12.0@113...so I don't doubt you there...as for the timing thing...you were using the GM Kent-Moore Tech 1? Were you taking readings in Road Test, or Diag (10K)?? I can't remember which is which, but one of them will not show reading on timing, or knock retard timing. This may be what you were experiencing. Not sure though as It's been a long time since I used the Tech 1 to tune my car.

Originally posted by TurboChris87
With a TA-49, 40 pounders, ported heads, yadayadayada, 23 psi and street radials and 93 I turned a 12.0@113...so I don't doubt you there...as for the timing thing...you were using the GM Kent-Moore Tech 1? Were you taking readings in Road Test, or Diag (10K)?? I can't remember which is which, but one of them will not show reading on timing, or knock retard timing. This may be what you were experiencing. Not sure though as It's been a long time since I used the Tech 1 to tune my car.

But you didn't have blown head gaskets and a bad converter as he stated his car has.

But you didn't have blown head gaskets and a bad converter as he stated his car has.

I doubt the head gasket was blown on the 12.3 run. I'm not a bull****ter, I will instantly stop saying what times I've seen the car run until I get times MYSELF. Any south florida guys here want to go to the track?

I'm NOT full of it, and will run in front of all ya'll and make no excuses if I don't run well. So please don't treat me like that, I can't stand those people. Never meant to come off sounding remotely like that.

I didn't say BAD converter, I said I don't think it's the right one. I don't think the head gaskets were blown then. Still haven't settled the timing, for all I actually know it's at 20. 12.3 on pump gas for what the car has is not out there, plenty of guys have done it.

But like I said I will shut up and meet you all at the track.

Originally posted by TurboChris87
as for the timing thing...you were using the GM Kent-Moore Tech 1? Were you taking readings in Road Test, or Diag (10K)?? I can't remember which is which, but one of them will not show reading on timing, or knock retard timing. This may be what you were experiencing. Not sure though as It's been a long time since I used the Tech 1 to tune my car.

I used Diag mode. Should I have done road test?