Upgrading Turbo, injectors, downpipe. Should I upgrade Intercooler too?

nboeck

I'm upgrading my stock engine to a PT61 turbo, mototron 60# injectors and Terry Houston downpipes. The car is a daily driver and driven in NYC most of the time.

Any big reason to upgrade the intercooler if most of my driving will be below 60mph?

Also any negatives on getting a Red Armstrong chip for this set-up?

I'll probably never race it, just looking to keep it reliable and love the feeling of hitting that gas pedal from a stop and leaving every other car behind.

Below 60mph---HaHaHa. If so why the larger turbo? Anyhow, a upgrade to a stretch type intercooler would be in order. It's not absolutely necessary, but it would be beneficial. If not, I would not bother with the 61-----maybe a TA49 or something similar. HTH, Brian

A larger stall converter will be needed for that PT61, otherwise you'll be doing 60mph before the boost comes up :D

does sound like overkill for what you're wanting to do. A Ta-49 with 50 lb injectors and a red's chip should be more than enough to get you out of trouble as quickly as you get into it.

Originally posted by nboeck

Any big reason to upgrade the intercooler if most of my driving will be below 60mph?

The lower the speed, the more effective a F/M is, compared to a stock location I/C.

Making HP is about getting as cool as possible air into the engine. Nothing matches a F/M for doing that. Cool air in addition to allowing you to run more fuel, also allows for a bit more timing.

There's newer technology chips out there then Red's.
A Translator Plus/ extender, or Max Effort allow for some fine tuning, to optimise your tune. Eric, also makes some *code improved* chips.

Re: Re: Upgrading Turbo, injectors, downpipe. Should I upgrade Intercooler too?

That's interesting, I've never heard that before. I'll have to consider that now as another option, figured I'd upgrade to a stock location intercooler but now I guess not.

Originally posted by bruce
The lower the speed, the more effective a F/M is, compared to a stock location I/C.

Making HP is about getting as cool as possible air into the engine. Nothing matches a F/M for doing that. Cool air in addition to allowing you to run more fuel, also allows for a bit more timing.

There's newer technology chips out there then Red's.
A Translator Plus/ extender, or Max Effort allow for some fine tuning, to optimise your tune. Eric, also makes some *code improved* chips.