Value of GNX

fastdavedk

I have been following the threads regarding the GNXs and their relative prices and values here on the board and on Ebay. I have thought about selling my GNX and am curious to know what its value would be.

In short, it is GNX 186. The odometer shows 54,000 miles and it has been somewhat modified. When I pulled a CarFax on the car at time of purchase 5 or 6 years ago it showed possible odometer fraud. I did not investigate that issue. I bought it from the U.S. Treasury Department who had confiscated it from the previous owner for some reason.

The changes to the car are as follows: the block has no stampings on it. I believe this is because either the factory forgot to stamp the block or perhaps more likely that the block is a replacement block. The numbers matching transmission has a 2800 stall converter. The rear end has hardened axles and C clip eliminators with extended wheel studs. In the ashtray are a knob and a button. Presumably, these are for cockpit boost control and a line lock. They are not hooked up to anything. On the A-pillar are mounted two gauges; exhaust temperature and boost. Under the hood, there are bigger injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, cold air intake, voltage booster and a bigger turbo. The stock downpipe has a cutout welded on to it, test pipe and flowmaster exhaust.

I have an original, pristine ceramic turbo in a box along with the GNX book and a hat; no jacket nor window sticker. The car is rust free, new tires and very clean.

My impression is that the previous owner wanted to put a big motor in the car and race it. Fortunately I bought it before the transformation was complete.

The X drives great and the converted A/C works fine even here in the Texas heat.

Anyone with sincere thoughts as to its value would be appreciated.

Well no numbers matching and unknown miles...I would say maybe $22,000...assuming it is in great shape...just my random guess at the value

I appreciate your input. For 22k I will continue to drive the car on nice evenings. I was thinking more in the neighborhood of 35-40k for this nice driver.
Anyway, judging by the condition of the front end and brakes, my guess is that the miles are not far off from what is shown on the odometer. I also could have had the block stamped like virtually every 427 Corvette but that is not my style. Thanks guys.

in my opinion......

and you know that opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one. LOL

you car is worth ALOT more than 22k. for 22k I'll buy it! I feel its worth more than the 40k your thinking,
I'd say 50k + , its a GNX, no matter how much its modded, (it can be changed back) its still a rare car.
only those who want one, or wish they had one , think there worth less,
I personally say KEEP IT, it'll only get more valuable as time goes by,

now I'm headed out to polish MY GNX, :D

and you know that opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one. LOL

you car is worth ALOT more than 22k. for 22k I'll buy it! I feel its worth more than the 40k your thinking,
I'd say 50k + , its a GNX, no matter how much its modded, (it can be changed back) its still a rare car.
only those who want one, or wish they had one , think there worth less,
I personally say KEEP IT, it'll only get more valuable as time goes by,

now I'm headed out to polish MY GNX, :D

I can't help but agree with this statement.

Don't fall for those prices!! I have $23k here with your name on it :eek: :p seriously if I couldn't get decent $$$ I'd drive it till the prices come back up. :cool:

Grump,

your quote:

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Do you know my brother-in-law??

no,

just the fact that you stated you cant argue with an idiot, I will have to remember that next time I debate him

I have looked a few similar to yours and they were in the low 40's to mid 40's....and yes there would be a line-up for your car in the 25k or less range

FYI and for comparison sake, a ~25K mile all stock #s matching example, no jacket, no window sticker, nice repaint recently sold for just under $40K. Car was likely worth a bit more but regardless that was the selling price. Based on that, I'd have to guesstimate right at $35K would be fair and it would probably sell. Hope that helps.

Bottom line.. It's worth whatever someone pays with CASH . I'd go with the Eaby route and see where it goes. Just put a reserve on it. Start it at $1 and watch the frenzy :cool:

I bought the car kna4977 mentioned . The reason I paid that price is because of personal reasons the owner had to sell fast. He made it clear to me he knew what he had when I picked up the car . I know the car is worth more and you can't base values on one sale. Look at the big picture! I would keep the car! One day your going to kick yourself. Thanks

I bought the car kna4977 mentioned . The reason I paid that price is because of personal reasons the owner had to sell fast. He made it clear to me he knew what he had when I picked up the car . I know the car is worth more and you can't base values on one sale. Look at the big picture! I would keep the car! One day your going to kick yourself. Thanks

I have NEVER regretted sellin a car .. Have had a LOT of old Muscle cars and a LOT of Buicks. The way I look at it if I miss it that much I can just go buy another one :p It's only a car. :cool:

I agree If you have the money that's great . The point I was trying to make is selling a real gnx cheap now he might regret it in the future . I'm sure there are plenty of people who had hemi cuda's that said the same thing not to long ago now they would have to sell there home's to buy one. thanks

I'm sure there are plenty of people who had hemi cuda's that said the same thing not to long ago now they would have to sell there home's to buy one. thanks

That goes both ways. Some people have bought a house when they sold their big $$$ cars and now if they wanted to they could prob sell the house and buy that Cuda back an have some $$$ left over :cool:

That goes both ways. Some people have bought a house when they sold their big $$$ cars and now if they wanted to they could prob sell the house and buy that Cuda back an have some $$$ left over :cool:

Good point. Look at the housing market here in MA...Condos that were selling for $100K last year are now selling for $30K (bank owned). I think if you are looking for an investment and can sell your GNX for $35 - $40K, you can re invest in a house, or condo and probably make a better return on investment over the next 5 - 10 years. If however, your ultimate goal is to have a rare Buick in the gargae and don't care about the money...that's a different story.

Every situation is different, there is a limited supply of GNXs, and having one you can get close to stock (bigest miss is the block IMO) but most people, even some collectors wouldnt care as long as it was a correct prod run #. To think this is a $20K car is to be of the opinion its only a little better than a clean GN. I have sold low mile GNs over $30K....
In the end its gonna come down to the market on the day it sells, how dspirate you are to sell, and how despirate the buyer is to have your GNX. I'd take no less than $50K if it was mine, it prob wont get that today, but that day may not be far away and driving it to that day has value to you as well.
Drive it and know its working to make you money....just dont crash it!