warm, off-idle dead spot??

turbonut85

Rarely used member
Hey guys--got a pesky issue with the hot air...after the car is warmed up, if I stop at a traffic light or stop sign, when I go to take off, the car stumbles for a second, almost wants to die, and then takes off fine. If I barely ease into it, it won't stumble at all. Only does it when the car is fully warmed up. Here's what I've done to try to fix it:

--changed MAF
--Changed cam sensor
--checked idle fuel pressure (43 line off)
--checked all grounds

SM #'s look good.

AF 06
L8 36
INT 127
BLM 124

So it begs the question.....what am I missing??

Any help is appreciated!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

---Keith

Sounds like a closed loop thingy if it only happens when warm . . . :frown:
Is this on E-85? This this problem just start?
What does the FP do when you step on the gas?

What chip are you using? I had a tip in stumble that Eric fixed with the chip...

Using a TT E85 chip. Did the same thing with the old chip and inj combo. Had 60s and TT E85 chip, now i have 120s and TT E85 chip. Previous combo i had a single walbro 340, Now im running a Reds double pumper. Same stumble with both combos.

I would try and swap out the TPS sensor. A powerlogger would show you where the problem is. This tool is the only way my car ever got this tuned. Let me know if you need one to swap out. Brad

I would try and swap out the TPS sensor. A powerlogger would show you where the problem is. This tool is the only way my car ever got this tuned. Let me know if you need one to swap out. Brad

X2
Had a an issue a few weeks ago and took me 5 weeks to figure it out.

The TPS would drift either high or low. (0.28 to .58 V at idle)
Shake the wires/connector at the TPS and it would take the TPS back to 0.42V
Thought it was a bad TPS connection but even PL would not pick it up.
No flat spots at all and ref voltage/grounds were ok. Bench tested the TPS 3 times, and it looked fine.
Changed TPS and that solved it.

I faught this for almost the whole summer last year, the tps had a broken negative connection and when the car was warm it would do this and you would have to feather the peddle just to get it to go. When it was cold it ran great, finally found it while we were looking for something else it would just drop out after it was warmed up, change the tps and see if the issue goes a way. Maybe they have a tendancy of the negative connection going bad over time.

I might take you up on this offer, Brad....wanna drag it along to the Midwest meet this Saturday?? I'll be there. LMK Thanks. ---Keith

car had same problem

before my ignition fried my car was doing the same thing interested to find out how it turns out

Well, thanks to Brad, i was able to rule out the TPS. So, i guess the next places to look would be these: o2 sensor, ign module, throttle body, and possibly the fuel pressure. ...i will report my findings. THANKS. ---KEITH

We easily came up with solutions for these problems at the shop. First, open the door and step out of the car. Hopefully you aren't too big of a loser and have a friend around to get into the car so you can sit your ass in a chair. Have the friend start the car and drive it and you stay behind. With the problem being removed from the car it should go away.

This also works with our grand am when I remove the problem area from this vehicle also.

Glad I could lend some expertise Keith.

I would check for a loose nut behind the steering wheel before I looked too deep into the problem!

Or just have ChicT go out there and find the problem in her Birthday suit, then all your problems will go away really really fast!!!!;)

I have this problem warm or cold so Im very intrested on what it could be. I did change to TPS twice. I got them from Postons a few years ago.