Waste Gate Setup ?

geno

9sec 17MPG Street Car
Staff member
What do you guys think? Will it work ok?
P1010012-6.jpg

P1010006-6.jpg

P1010004-8.jpg

P1010008-5.jpg

P1010003-8.jpg

I'm not a fan of wastegates plumbed into the crossover pipe.....but in this case its OK.:biggrin:

Thats nice.

I have no idea. But the whole thing looks to be VERY SERIOUS!!! Nice to see someone working hard outside the box. Keep the updates coming!!!
Mike:cool:

Looks good!

I run 2 gates - a 42mm Racegate like you have it before the turbo and another 38mm Deltagate just after one of the collectors. I have considered going to just one 60mm just before the turbo but I'm not sure it would be enough. A lot of guys run two mid-size gates after each collector.

I don't think it will work. Send that gate to me and you can have my NewGen for even trade:D

What size turbo? With the engine size, I think the 60mm should be enough.

Is that pipe in the way for a hard right turn?
Why not have the down pipe transition into a larger oval section. That puny oval section doesn't look right to me. Maybe it's just the angle of that one picture?
I would have kept the top of the wastegate further away from the turbine housing, or make sure you have enough heat barrier protection.
Love the headers!
Keep an eye out for cracking on the aluminum strap supporting the end of the DP. A better system might be to use a stainless strap clamp holding a steel support bracket to the body. That pipe is going to see a lot of vibration.

Is that pipe in the way for a hard right turn?
Why not have the down pipe transition into a larger oval section. That puny oval section doesn't look right to me. Maybe it's just the angle of that one picture?
I would have kept the top of the wastegate further away from the turbine housing, or make sure you have enough heat barrier protection.
Love the headers!
Keep an eye out for cracking on the aluminum strap supporting the end of the DP. A better system might be to use a stainless strap clamp holding a steel support bracket to the body. That pipe is going to see a lot of vibration.

The tire when turned to the lock is 3" away:D
That puny oval tip i made from scratch is 12" long and 2 1/2 wide.
Im pretty sure exhaust goes through the waste gate and i would hope that it can take some heat. I do have a blanket on the exhaust housing ;) I do plan on another support from the DP to the frame:cool:

Stage 2 headers and Dowu pipe

Geno nice work on the stage 2 headers what size primaries are they and what brand merge collector did you use like SPD or burns? I wll be making mine shortly need feedback on merge collector and primery size. Are 2 inch primeries better than 1 7/8 ones?Go with 304 or 321 stainless and header flanges also wastegate cold roll mild steel rather than stainless. I talked to Steve Watts who makes headers for Duttweiler and he said to use SPD 25 degree merge collectors not sure 1 7/8 or 2 inch primeries.He also said i will be needing between 12 to 14 u bends?Anyone have pictures of Steve Watts work with stage 2 headers?Geno one more thing you are running stainless headers with aluminum down pipe how is that going to work out with the heat that turbos make?

It would work better if it was a TurboSmart gate ;)

But yea, should work fine. Hopefully we're about to start rebuilding the Big Wood car from the crash last year.

That gate looks like a Tial 60 mm. We just put one of those on a friends street car. So why you using a wastegate on a race car? We don't use those things on our race cars;)

That gate looks like a Tial 60 mm. We just put one of those on a friends street car. So why you using a wastegate on a race car? We don't use those things on our race cars;)

Cheap insurance for a guy with shallow pockets LOL

It would work better if it was a TurboSmart gate ;)

But yea, should work fine. Hopefully we're about to start rebuilding the Big Wood car from the crash last year.

That car is my inspiration :cool:
My car is just a hacked up old Buick LOL