Went to the dealerships, i am still suffering from sticker shock!

Quick6'n'-K.C.

wana steal it? meet mr9mm
Staff member
I cant believe the prices of these cars on the lots these days.
Not that im really interested in buying another new car, but my god i cant believe the prices of most of these new cars!

Chevy Duramax fully loaded 49,000
Pontiac Grand am 24,000
Pontiac G6 23,000 wasnt too bad looking, looked like a better buy than the Grand am.
Pontiac GTO 36,000 3,100 extra for the sport appearance package:confused: sideskirts and a wing for 3100.00 ???

Dodge diesel, dually 4 door 4wd for 46,000
Dodge 1500 2 wheel drive HEMI, short bed short cab with 20s for 35,000.00 What the hell?? How could this truck cost so much for so little? I paid 32,000.00 for my 2002 dodge dually, cummins 4x4 and the works, How could this little truck cost so much 3 years later?????
Ford mustang V6 22,000
The ONLY car that i saw out of the bunch that didnt cause sticker shock was the SRT-4 neon with the ACR competition package for 21,200. With the ACR package you get upgraded suspension,upgraded seats,different wheels and tires for only 1,100 dollars on top of the 20,000 base price.
I did some reading, the stock turbo neon runs 102 MPH in the 1/4 stock... quite impressive.

I just cant believe the prices of some of these cars this weekend, who in their right mind would pay 35,000 for a short bed short cab 2 wheel drive dodge truck with the HEMI???

Glad i got a turbo buick to drive everyday.
I think we should start asking for more money for our turbo buicks if we decide to sell them.

The way i see it is, i could pay 8,000.00 for a fairly nice TR that would last me 3 years of daily driving with just a little maintenance and the monthly payment would be 230.00 - 250.00 per month with no money down, plus insurance.
After those 3 years the car would still be worth 6-6500.00 if i decided to sell it.
I would be nuts to buy a new car now, i should just buy another Limited and drive the wheels off of it!

Just my opinion.

BW

YUP,,buy another TR,,,,,be more fun to drive anyway:D

Ty

1986 Buick GRand National with most options. $17,500. In todays dollars, 19 years later , about 40K ++. New GTO 32,140. Hmmm. Not all that bad a deal.

That would be exactly why my family has decided that if we move back south all we'll ever buy to drive is collector cars. I mean you can buy a nice 60s muscle car, drive it for 2 or 3 years, and turn around and sell it for the same price you bought it for because the price inflation balances the amount of miles you put on it. Of course you might need something like a early 90s Silverado or something to keep around for hauling stuff or like a LS1 or LT1 FBody for decent gas milage but I would much rather be driving a $20k mint 68 Firebird than a SRT4 or a Honda. There's few new cars that you can get for $20k and as soon as you leave the lot they arne't worth much more than $10k.

Why not consider a newer used truck. I bought my 2003 Dodge Ram Quad 4WD Cummins two years ago. List on the truck was $46,300.00. I paid $30,000 with 13,120 miles on it. First owner owned it six months and dropped about a buck a mile depreciation. There's a ton of newer used cars on the market now.

Originally posted by bogie1
1986 Buick GRand National with most options. $17,500. In todays dollars, 19 years later , about 40K ++. New GTO 32,140. Hmmm. Not all that bad a deal.
That is partially true, but if you consider what you are getting, the GN will COMFORTABLY fit a family of four AND almost a weeks worth of luggage in the trunk.......just a thought.....

cant go wrong with a chevy or GMC with a duramax- those things arent even broken in untill 150K. there are dodges with the cummings in the 1 million mile club- for my daily driver next year im getting a GMC sierra 2500HD with the duramax- they are insanely quick for such a big truck- and youll get your moneys worth out of it if you keep it.

Originally posted by ajt86
cant go wrong with a chevy or GMC with a duramax- those things arent even broken in untill 150K. there are dodges with the cummings in the 1 million mile club- for my daily driver next year im getting a GMC sierra 2500HD with the duramax- they are insanely quick for such a big truck- and youll get your moneys worth out of it if you keep it.

You're not comparing a Duramax with a real diesel, are you? :D

28552901-5306-01A30126-.jpg

The dealers are dealing at this time with sales so low. I stopped in at the ford dealership this weekend just to look and left within 30 minutes with a 2005 f150 supercab 4x4 truck. It cost me 1st months lease payment and 24 months at $183. a month. At the end of the 24 months I just give it back to them. Our family will spend more then $183. a month on stupid stuff like pizza. I have a nice driver and something to haul my buick to the track with and then just return it in 2 years? Sticker on the truck is over 31k

Originally posted by UnderdogGN
nobody likes the powerstroke fords??????

I do, all our work trucks are powerstrokes. My boss went out and bought a fully loaded 05 4x4 cummins and it is a sweet truck. Seems like the body's on the older dodges are a little junky though. Not sure why, but most I've seen run great with high miles but are just falling apart.:confused:

Originally posted by 72firebird
That would be exactly why my family has decided that if we move back south all we'll ever buy to drive is collector cars. I mean you can buy a nice 60s muscle car, drive it for 2 or 3 years, and turn around and sell it for the same price you bought it for because the price inflation balances the amount of miles you put on it. Of course you might need something like a early 90s Silverado or something to keep around for hauling stuff or like a LS1 or LT1 FBody for decent gas milage but I would much rather be driving a $20k mint 68 Firebird than a SRT4 or a Honda. There's few new cars that you can get for $20k and as soon as you leave the lot they arne't worth much more than $10k.
That is probably the most useful information anyone has ever given. Thank you for hitting me in the head with that, I've been looking for a new vehicle for quite some time with frustration. Nothing out there is really worth what the dealers are asking, and chances are they won't turn heads like a classic/muscle car and are a heck of alot more expensive to repair, plus they ALL depriciate, collector cars are on the upswing. Tuned right, they get decent milage also

GM is giving employee pricing for the entire month of June on everything except Saabs and Vettes. If you're looking for a GM the prices aren't getting much better than now.

Originally posted by 72firebird

Problem is, who is going to loan you $20k for a 30+ year old car.

Doug D

How about USED cars & Trucks.

I stopped to look at a extra cab pick up. 12,999 with 112k on it NUTZ!

Originally posted by SFITurbo
That is probably the most useful information anyone has ever given. Thank you for hitting me in the head with that, I've been looking for a new vehicle for quite some time with frustration. Nothing out there is really worth what the dealers are asking, and chances are they won't turn heads like a classic/muscle car and are a heck of alot more expensive to repair, plus they ALL depriciate, collector cars are on the upswing. Tuned right, they get decent milage also

I couldn't agree more. I drive a 300 hp twin turbocharged 1991 Stealth--all wheel drive, all wheel steering, leather, cd, cold ac, and it had only 17k original miles on it when I bought it last year.....Paid WAY less for it than the 21k Neon SRT.....

But the collector cars are an even better deal, because if you buy a nice one, it won't depreciate! It just so happens that I own a small collector car dealership, in addition to being a TR owner. If anyone is interested in pursuing a collector car, now is a great time, for all of the reasons 72 Firebird listed above. You can buy a $20k Mustang convertible, drive it for 2 years, and sell it for the same amount or more than you bought it for. Think about the money you'd save vs flushing it down the toilet on a depreciating 4 door vitamin pill on wheels.....lol. Plus, most of these old cars are incredibly simple and easy to work on.

As for financing, JJBest&Co and CapitalOne both finance collector cars at good rates with few obstacles. Needless to say, I have a lot more than what's listed in my sig for sale, so if anyone is interested, PM or email me.

That pic of the diesel rods has been floating around for a while now. What most people look at is the size of the rods in general and say "WOW...the Cummins rod must be SO much stronger because it's SO much larger!" What many people fail to understand is that the Cummins diesel is a VERY LONG stroke motor that is displacing ~6 liters of displacement with just 6 pistons; hence why the rod is SO much longer and larger in gurth than the rest of the motors that have a MUCH shorter stroke and 2 additional cylinders to help displace the same ~6 liters of displacement....smaller pistons. Don't get me wrong, the Cummins motor is bad ass....I've had two Cummins powered trucks, however the other major diesels out there are not too shabby either. Consequently I now own a Duramax power truck because of all the crap parts Dodge puts on and/or around the Cummins motor and the truck itself....not to mention the TERRIBLE service I received from Dodge dealers.

Base price of the 1987 Corvette Coupe was $27,999.00

2005 Model Year Pricing – Effective 1-06-05
Corvette Coupe Base $43,710.00

Less than twice the value since 87 ( 28k vs 44k ), its actually up only 1.561 so a $18k 87 GN would be $28k now. The new GTO is not going to have much value when the new american edition comes out in 07 or 08 and there is not much around $28K anymore since the Camaro and Trans Am disappeared.

I would go with the SRT4 as an everyday car or buy another GN and put snow tires on it in the winter. ;)

I would not think twice about getting a SRT4 if I were in the market for a brand spankin new car, Just shows with your comparison above in prices it IS one of the best bangs for your buck for a new car. Everything is just so damn much money new this day in age.