Went To The Track Today......

BRAD_PADGETT

Time to pack it in move on. Knock Knock Knock- Who is there? Not Brad. Race gas.... Alky.... Knock Knock knock! Car looks good, sounds good and runs good....Knock knock Knock--Slower than ****. I am not looking for help but making a simple stmt-Keep your money in your wallet. Brad

Brad
Been there Brother..... My car is still in pieces. I am getting the urge to put it back together....

It's a lot of work to go fast on a hot air, as you all ready know that.. with all the custom parts we have to get it sucks!!! thats why I'm converting all the way now. more options for parts. the one thing I didnt like about the 84/85 was the intake and throttle body.

what was your times???

it's like a drug once you do it its hard to quit:eek:

Idea for you Brad.

This is the FWD intake but it has to be mounted backwards so the water outlet is at the fire wall. You'd have to fab some sort of mount for the turbo but it's more of a straight shot and it's more like the IC intake. Should run a cooler air charge that the stock one and it's wide open so more flow if you port it some.

Attachments

• DSCN0009.jpg
    DSCN0009.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 608
  • DSCN0010.jpg
    DSCN0010.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 603
This is the FWD intake but it has to be mounted backwards so the water outlet is at the fire wall. You'd have to fab some sort of mount for the turbo but it's more of a straight shot and it's more like the IC intake. Should run a cooler air charge that the stock one and it's wide open so more flow if you port it some.

I used a 86/87 intake,throttle body, hard vac lines, fuel rail , inlet bell, any cs alternator( reclock the way you want).. ALT. is to allow the upper radiator hose to fit 87 water neck
dog house has to be clearanced to allow the turbo to fit in same spot...
cut off arm on engine bracket, to allow radiator hose clearance and give more room for inlet to throttle body. alternator stays in the oringal pivot point but is tilted down , then you need a alt bracket off any older cars (78-87) modify it to bolt to the one of the waterpump bolts. Reclock the the turbo compressor side, and then make a tube from turbo to intake.

I'm sure I missed a few little things like heater lines and other things..

You still will have a hot air, but it will have a lot nicer intake, throttle body...The throttle body is relocated which helps a lot and has less restrictions in the maf line. better throttle responce and the option to add a intercooler at anytime

Time to pack it in move on. Knock Knock Knock- Who is there? Not Brad. Race gas.... Alky.... Knock Knock knock! Car looks good, sounds good and runs good....Knock knock Knock--Slower than ****.

Brad, how much knock were you getting? I haven't been to a strip at all this year. Just haven't had the motivation and haven't done any performance changes in a while.

Brad, how much knock were you getting? I haven't been to a strip at all this year. Just haven't had the motivation and haven't done any performance changes in a while.

Eric-If you want to know I can send you a powerlogger file.(Knock Knock.....)
I have spent alot of time and money and it is called pissing up a rope. My last resort will be replacing the knock sensor. Checked my spare parts and WTF? GM box on the knock sensor, green tape with the part number, and made in Mexico. I did the math a long time ago and my problem 99% sure is not the knock sensor. Time to clean out the car and pack in. Brad

I have spent alot of time and money and it is called pissing up a rope. My last resort will be replacing the knock sensor. Checked my spare parts and WTF? GM box on the knock sensor, green tape with the part number, and made in Mexico. I did the math a long time ago and my problem 99% sure is not the knock sensor. Time to clean out the car and pack in. Brad

Brad,
Call me when you got a minute.

Module

Have you changed the module on the passenger side fender? Not sure what it is called (ESC maybe)? I believe it relays the signal from the knock sensor to the ECM.
Reason I ask is I had the same problem once. Can't remember but I'm thinking the 85 is different part # than the 87.

Have you changed the module on the passenger side fender? Not sure what it is called (ESC maybe)? I believe it relays the signal from the knock sensor to the ECM.
Reason I ask is I had the same problem once. Can't remember but I'm thinking the 85 is different part # than the 87.

good point.....dont give up bro........step back from the matches and count to ten.....;)

Hi Brad,
What octane were you running? Timing stays at 16 degrees thru all 3 gears, that seems pretty odd.

one thing else that i noticed that the injector duty cycle is kinda high for being 18 psi of boost with alky flowing as well.

The A/F ratio is a tad to rich for race gas and alky. try leaning it out a bit and see what it does. my car has had those same issues when it was too rich.

Race fuel like to be around 11.2 with the timing in the 21-22 degree range. Might also what to double check the fuel prussure is not going away too.

Another thing i noticed that when it knock it's not pulling the timing down it may not be knocking and having some electrical issues.

Eric- In my case it is really hopeless. I can screw around resetting this an that and throw more money on this part looking for an answer. The real fact is none of these ideas will get my car from a 15.1 quarter mile to the low 13's. I will put the cover on tomorrow and forget my nightmere. I will get some of my money back next spring when I part it out. I am amazed that these cars are worth more in pieces than put together. Thanks-Brad

Hi Brad,

I hope you change your mind and don't give up on it. Your car should be running in the 12s easy.

Hi Brad,

I hope you change your mind and don't give up on it. Your car should be running in the 12s easy.

Eric-Thanks for all the help. I am going to clean out my car and put the cover on forget about my mistake.

I have done my homework and yes my car should be in the high twelves.
Not in my life. I will part out my POS next spring. Brad

Hey Brad!!! Remember me??? you are one of the original guys I talked to that gave me some really good info in getting these cars up and running... My hot air, before I new anything about it, ran high 13's at almost 100 mph before I knew what knock and detonation was!!! I toasted a piston, and had no clue why!!! Then i found this site, and started fixin!! I never ran that car in the 1/4 again!!! I parted some of it out, I kept most of it, and now, the motor/trans/mods are going into my newest addition to the family, a 1984 t-type my bro found...

I have almost the same mods... Ported heads and intake, 204-214 cam, double chain, alky, 42.5's, poston headers, atr up and down pipes, flowmaster cat-back, GM knock sensor, 87 coil/adapter, 87 ecm, lt1 maf and translator, dump pipe, adjustable wastegate, mobile 1 oils, 93/94 octane, and im looking for a t33c turbo in a price that I can afford... lol...

Since our mods are so close, I cant wait to finish the car and see where mine puts its self... If it is at 15's like you are at, I wont throw in the towel... Not yet at least!!! Been here way too long, with too many hours on the HOT AIR forum, to blow steam now!!!

lol

Brad... stick with it... Dont loose it... Park the car for a day or two... take it out for a slow cruise, and remember, it is a labor of LOVE, not drive to hate!!! During that slow cruise, run your powerlogger or watch the scanmaster and see if that knock is creeping up or what not... Maybe it is something as simple as a pipe hitting the frame? Could be something like all that hot air sucking through that turbo beating on the konck sensor under it!!! lol

Either way, take it easy, take it slow... These cars have been around for 25 years, why end it now????

John;)

I know how you fell trust me. When I got my new motor in the car would show knock at any boost level from 1 to 20. If I stalled it up to 10psi and launched it was fine. Don't know what the hell. Tryed different chips and maf's etc. Talked to a lot of people and nothing. Decided to spend some money and not give up. Went with the xfi to see if I could see what was going on more then what the powerlogger showed. Anyways after I put the xfi on problem gone. So who knows what it was. Bad 02,bad ecm, bad something but the xfi fixed it. I'm not saying do an xfi just saying hang in there.