What External wastegate and downpipe to buy?

TurboSmart Hypergate 45mm here with C02 and a Boost Leash controller, factory wastegate hole on the turbo , creeps about 2-3 psi right now...time to open the wastegate hole a little before BG. Pretty happy with my setup

Bryan

JGS wastegate here with Co2 and boost leash controller....Ta headers,3 1/2 custom down pipe ,wastegate out to atmosphere.Brian ,I can send you some pictures if you want.

I like the turbosmart line of wastegates. The 45mm hyper gate or 50mm pro gate would be good selections. If you're not going to be working the turbo hard id use the 50. If you are working it hard id use the 45mm. The XFI will be able to be used to control boost. You need to determine your strategy as there is a few different things you can do to control the gate. The ultimate would be using an electronic controller with a light spring and using an external source of pressure like pressurized CO2. This way you can have control to very low pressures with light springs and create nice ramp in profiles for street use and more aggressive for better prepped surfaces with total control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be using a Hyper-Gate 45 on its way...that has a 14 psi spring on a 3'' downpipe and using co2 . I am not sure which boost strategy to use. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
My goal: I plan on running up to 30 pounds of boost while at the track on race gas wth stage right trans brake and xfi 2 step I also would like better control on the street electronically and would like to use the fast boost controller to ramp up the boost slower on the street.

Here is the GN1 3'' downpipe with the Chinese gate cut off and a turbosmart hypergate 45 installed. I am also going to use the leash boost control system and just figuring out where to mount everything.

Attachments

• 20151119_142911.jpg
    20151119_142911.jpg
    638.8 KB · Views: 531
  • 20151119_143341.jpg
    20151119_143341.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 513
  • 20151203_084528.jpg
    20151203_084528.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 575
  • 20151203_084557.jpg
    20151203_084557.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 488
  • 20151207_215523.jpg
    20151207_215523.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 467
Update: tested the combo with the gn1 3'' downpipe with the 45 mm' hypergate and im having trouble getting the boost to go lower than 22psi. I had 10 lb spring that net 25 psi of boost then the 7 lb spring net 22 psi. I am wondering if anybody has had this issue and how to fix it??

Update: tested the combo with the gn1 3'' downpipe with the 45 mm' hypergate and im having trouble getting the boost to go lower than 22psi. I had 10 lb spring that net 25 psi of boost then the 7 lb spring net 22 psi. I am wondering if anybody has had this issue and how to fix it??
What are you trying to do? Sounds like you're possibly trying to operate outside the useful mass flow range with this combo. In post #19 i rec'd a 50mm if you weren't going to be using the turbo in a favorable mass flow range. A 45mm hypergate is plenty for a fairly wide range of control on almost everything. The gate would work better if plumbed further down into the header. 22psi on a 5800rpm 250ci is about 65lbs/min typically if everything is right. Trying to operate below that if use a different turbo. Did you open the bypass hole in the flange up?

I am trying to run on the street about 18-20 psi and control the boost ramp with leash boost controller so i dont spin the tires. (Not installed yet) but wanted to test the gate manually ....I thought that a 10 lb spring would net 10 psi or close but its not it is 22 7ln spring -25 with 10lb spring psi so im thinking my bright idea to modify a gn1 pipe for a hypergate 45mm wasn't a good idea or maybe the inlet and outlet piping is to small no bypassing enough exhaust hence the high boost level. the small exhaust hole was slightly enlarged and I was able to run 16 psi with my internal wastegate with 1 5/8 puck before and had boost as high as 26-27lbs at the track. i did not open the small hole in the gn1 downpipe.

Open the hole to the diameter of the pipe and see if you can get it working better

Last edited:
I finally ported the hole to the size of the downpipe and now i can get the boost as low as 15psi. I also had great results from the leash boost controller with c02 managing the boost. I can really fine tune how fast or slow i can ramp in the boost. Great for the street.

Nice how much pressure are u using on your CO2 ? I have mine working with co2 aswell and I took my spring out completely and have the reg adjusted to 40lbs . My ams500v2 is pretty bad ass I must say .

I have my regulator set at 30 psi and using a 3lb spring. Gate pressure of 12 psi get me 18lbs of boost and 14psi gate pressure gets 20psi of boost

Last edited: