What External wastegate and downpipe to buy?

quadzila

I have seen a wastegate downpipe combo that several venders sell and I am looking for input on how they perform. I want my FAST Xfi to manage boost electronically.
I have a FMIC , dual fans from hartline performance, and TA performance ss headers with a 3'' internal w/g . I am hoping to get a feel for what my best options are. thanks in advance for your input.

I just picked up a 3.5" with gate and love it image.jpgimage.jpg

why? there is 100% proof that a properly set up external will outperform the internal in every way. Did you ever wonder why Buicks are the ONLY group that uses them this much and every other group cant wait to put an external on?

While I agree 100% that the header is the place to have it lets face the facts here, an internal wastegate in mounted on the down pipe and an external gate is mounted in the same place and it will work better than a simple swing valve with an actuator that has limited travel and almost no choice of spring pressures

I have seen a wastegate downpipe combo that several venders sell and I am looking for input on how they perform. I want my FAST Xfi to manage boost electronically.
I have a FMIC , dual fans from hartline performance, and TA performance ss headers with a 3'' internal w/g . I am hoping to get a feel for what my best options are. thanks in advance for your input.
Back on topic, what you are looking to do works great many good choices out there, I would highly recommend you put a big solenoid on in place of the stock one, we have quite a few of them running like that with great results.

I want Fast xfi to control it. First time a bad weld on the puck broke replaced it. 2nd time froze up . Im not opposed to buying another puck and welding it in just worried about having the same issues. Is the downpipe that most of the venders sell the same one? and has anyone that has had one for a while have input good or bad? thanks Dank GN for posting your photos and i think thats the one ihave seen.

Last edited:
I want Fast xfi to control it. First time a bad weld on the puck broke replaced it. 2nd time froze up . Im not opposed to buying another puck and welding it in just worried about having the same issues. Is the downpipe that most of the venders sell the same one? and has anyone that has had one for a while have input good or bad? thanks Dank GN for posting your photos and i think thats the one ihave seen.
If you are going to retain the swing valve then you may need to ream the bushing and make sure there's enough clearance to prevent seizure or it will seize again. Your car can definitely benefit from a properly setup external gate. The cheaper/more efficient way would be to use a block off plate with your current pipe and go from the header to a 46mm waste gate. At that point you can determine if you want to connect the wasted side to the down pipe or just have a piece of pipe that expels the exhaust under the car. Not connecting is the easiest for fitment and has shown a few hp in some applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not familiar with a blockoff plate and plumbing it , but would like to go that route then set up the fast xfi. what 46mm gate would you recommend?

While I agree 100% that the header is the place to have it lets face the facts here, an internal wastegate in mounted on the down pipe and an external gate is mounted in the same place and it will work better than a simple swing valve with an actuator that has limited travel and almost no choice of spring pressures

There is always porting needed on the exhaust housing to get the boost down when you switch to a external gate pipe.
The swing gate dumps boost fast. It opens to a massive pipe. Doesn't have to open very far to do the job or make turns through a small diameter tube.

I think a important question is how much boost do you plan to run?

You are correct, that is an important question, but not the first one I ask.

To me the most important question of internal vs. external wastegate is how is the car going to be used?

If the car is set up and used for competition and racing, the external gate is the hands-down best method, as you need to be able to make last minute, or last second, change in boost depending on weather, track conditions, who is in the lane next to you, and other variables.

To go along with this precise boost control you need an electronic unit, CO-2 and solenoids to dial up or down at 1 psi intervals to run your number.

As far as a street car, my customers which "play" on the street are always in the kill mode with boost and it is limited by traction, so an internal gate is more than adequate in most of those situations.

There are various simple manual boost controllers and we are now experimenting with Turbosmart internal gate with solenoids and electronic controller mounted on the dash. This is a very affordable unit, but will provide also enough precise boost control for street application, and hopefully at the track also.

If you cannot get accurate boost control on the street with an internal wastegate, the car is not set up properly.

Some of my local GN racer friends have won season championships with an internal gate set up!

I plan on running up to 30 pounds of boost while at the track on race gas I also would like better control on the street electronically and would like to use the fast boost controller to ramp up the boost slower on the street. What wastegate's are a good choice for my goals? Does any body happen to have any pictures of the set up bison is referring to? I like that i can still use my downpipe.

Last edited:
You will need a block off plate from rjc to use your internal dp as a external dp . and of course external gate. Works great..

I just bought one from Bison . It's shaped like the downpipe flange and .125" thick stainless . Here is a picture of my old one , It came with no wastegate hole , I put the waste gate hole in it .

DSCN0341.JPG

why? there is 100% proof that a properly set up external will outperform the internal in every way. Did you ever wonder why Buicks are the ONLY group that uses them this much and every other group cant wait to put an external on?

X2 .. I'm with you Mike .. if the EXT Gate is done correctly ... there is NO COMPARISON in performance between an internal gate and a external ... it's simply not possible for an internal gate to be as reactive .. combined with a modern boost controller that can control boost based off RPM / TPS/ GPS speed / Distance ... you can dial in the boost exactly how you want ...

Its amazing at how much different a car can feel when the boost curve is optimized .. only reason to keep a internal gate is to keep cost down .. its not the solution where performance is the primary consideration

Im not familiar with a blockoff plate and plumbing it , but would like to go that route then set up the fast xfi. what 46mm gate would you recommend?
I like the turbosmart line of wastegates. The 45mm hyper gate or 50mm pro gate would be good selections. If you're not going to be working the turbo hard id use the 50. If you are working it hard id use the 45mm. The XFI will be able to be used to control boost. You need to determine your strategy as there is a few different things you can do to control the gate. The ultimate would be using an electronic controller with a light spring and using an external source of pressure like pressurized CO2. This way you can have control to very low pressures with light springs and create nice ramp in profiles for street use and more aggressive for better prepped surfaces with total control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk