What intercooler are you running and for what reasons have you made this selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are we trying to do here. Design the next game changer IC?

Assuming you have an IC with very little psi drop, does it really matter when running alky?
Well we think pressure drop means more than temp drop and that would definitely matter with cars running alky since a lot have already achieved temps near or below ambient. This tells us that we can sacrifice charge cooling for a reduction in pressure drop.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well we think pressure drop means more than temp drop and that would definitely matter with cars running alky since a lot have already achieved temps near or below ambient. This tells us that we can sacrifice charge cooling for a reduction in pressure drop.
AG

Yes that's what I'm saying design an IC with very little psi drop and let the alky do its job. However what to do with the non alcoholics. [emoji6]

What about tubing size (OD)?

Yes that's what I'm saying design an IC with very little psi drop and let the alky do its job. However what to do with the non alcoholics. [emoji6]

Or just build an intercooler with a bypass. When alky starts spraying a damper opens to let air bypass the "restriction." Maybe heat activated. Or even boost activated. Real simple. An intercooler with a wastegate.:eek:

Things can get a little stupid with all the crap we can come up with.

Or just build an intercooler with a bypass. When alky starts spraying a damper opens to let air bypass the "restriction." Maybe heat activated. Or even boost activated. Real simple. An intercooler with a wastegate.:eek:

Things can get a little stupid with all the crap we can come up with.

But something like this would have some merit when the ambient air temp drops later in the year and guys that are using a good bit of alky
can get themselves in trouble with poor atomization and distribution......never be afraid to think outside the box or the intercooler in this situation.

But something like this would have some merit when the ambient air temp drops later in the year and guys that are using a good bit of alky
can get themselves in trouble with poor atomization and distribution......never be afraid to think outside the box or the intercooler in this situation.
Maybe design the meth injection setup so that you aren't at the mercy of distribution. No need to band aid a known problem

Maybe design the meth injection setup so that you aren't at the mercy of distribution. No need to band aid a known problem

Have you used any of the garrett Hi efficiency cores bison? curious How the bell cores compare.

I have been dreaming of six 2.5 nozzles for a long time. Julio what you got?
Sorry
Back to IC

Well I believe we can come up with a "one size fits most" and what my model pictures are proposing and eluding to. I'm sure the intercooler size could get smaller and smaller with more alky but other than the little extra weight I don't see a downside to having it slightly oversized on a heavily used alky application.
AG.

If minimization of pressure drop across the cooler is more important than charge cooling, then why even have the cooler?

If the goal of designing a new IC is reduction of pressure drop, the greatest reduction in drop would be to not have one, right? After all, your alky is your cooler right?
This would apply only to the meth-heads.

Us e-85ers and race gassers will still want low pressure drop intercoolers.

Here's the pic of the duttweiller I mentioned on Facebook. I've only seen one other member have one on their car. It looks beat up in the pic but after a few hours of cleanup and new paint it turned out great. I had planned to buy a precision FM like I originally wanted but the seller backed out.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 208
Bruce talked about it here http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/running-no-intercooler.125732/ Wish his website was still working. I would love to read it again.

I remember that thread, and the pictures (now removed) of the "U" shaped pipe he fabricated, going from the turbo compressor to the throttle body. Many people's reaction at the time was, "Hey! you can't to that".:D

I miss Bruce. He, and threads like this are important to keeping us thinking outside the box and moving forward. :)

I remember that thread, and the pictures (now removed) of the "U" shaped pipe he fabricated, going from the turbo compressor to the throttle body. Many people's reaction at the time was, "Hey! you can't to that".:D

I miss Bruce. He, and threads like this are important to keeping us thinking outside the box and moving forward. :)

Bruce posted a lot of threads over on the t6p board. Go to the tech library section and drop 'Bruce' in the authors search box. He has several threads with data on the stock IC, no I/C, Cottons FM, adding water via a 7th injector setup, and more. Note with the posted data logs I copy & paste them into notepad with a fixed font, helps line up the columns better.

Knowing Bruce (RIP) he wouldn't mind me posting his picture:

drv2.jpeg

RemoveBeforeFlight

Bruce posted a lot of threads over on the t6p board. Go to the tech library section and drop 'Bruce' in the authors search box. He has several threads with data on the stock IC, no I/C, Cottons FM, adding water via a 7th injector setup, and more. Note with the posted data logs I copy & paste them into notepad with a fixed font, helps line up the columns better.

Knowing Bruce (RIP) he wouldn't mind me posting his picture:

View attachment 269365

RemoveBeforeFlight
Because of this thread I WILL give that a shot, E85 main fuel and alkyl injection.

I'm a little confused about the pressure drop. Isn't the air cooling causing the pressure drop, which would indicate a well working intercooler? Wouldn't a lower pressure drop mean less dense air?

I think pressure should be the same all the way though even with air being more dense. I am thinking from an hvac background though.

Status
Not open for further replies.