You can type here any text you want

what is needed to make a multi-disc lock up work 100%

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fastblackracing

Ihave been there and done that with converters and trans. I am at the I point I need to order my converter from dusty 9.5 non lock.what have the experts found is needed to get reliable locking on a car with say 800 or better HP? at the time I had a vig 5disk wouldnt stay locked, did this to it, do that to it, 50 gallons atf later I put in my ac 16930 and go. seriously the trans was out of the car 14 times that summer for converter or trans. This was some time back and hopefully the kinks are worked out. would really like to know what it takes to make one work anybody care to share ? thanks

Ihave been there and done that with converters and trans. I am at the I point I need to order my converter from dusty 9.5 non lock.what have the experts found is needed to get reliable locking on a car with say 800 or better HP?

what is the purpose of this thread if you are buying a non lock up converter ?? o_O Buddy has a 5 disk Vig and we have a 9/11 lock up with no problems.. Both are 9 sec daily drivin street cars .

reliable locking at 800hp
you're asking the 5 converter clutches to hold better than your 2004r clutches that have 8 larger clutch discs , and at that level the 2004r clutches are dual fed

go non lock with ptc 9.5 and your slippage will only be in the 5% range

I am only asking who is making 600 -800 HP and locking their multi disc at the track and what pains did they have to go thru to get it 100 % reliable. I allready Know I am going non lock ptc. I do not think its plug and play on the lock-ups for those making yhose kind of numbers that run them. Anyone have some good input on this?

Interested! What happens with a 3500 stall non-lock converter at 2200 RPM cruise?

Interested! What happens with a 3500 stall non-lock converter at 2200 RPM cruise?

If you have a 3500 stall at 0-1# of boost, it's gonna suck on the street. A 3500 stall at 0-1# of boost will spool a 91mm turbo. lol

It goes back to a converters stall being directly related to the amount of torque applied to it. With a turbo V6 and a stall speed of 3000 rpm at 0-1# of boost, several customers have only shown a 50-100 rpm slip at 2200 rpm. The main difference between a lock-up and non lock becomes noticeable when climbing hills. When running up an incline with a non lock converter you will experience more slip because the converter "thinks" it's being foot braked so it loosens up.

The main difference between a lock-up and non lock becomes noticeable when climbing hills. When running up an incline with a non lock converter you will experience more slip because the converter "thinks" it's being foot braked so it loosens up.

Thats it in a nutshell !! :cool: We have used both and that is my only gripe. I know I know move to a part of the country that doesn't have long hills :D

If you have a 3500 stall at 0-1# of boost, it's gonna suck on the street. A 3500 stall at 0-1# of boost will spool a 91mm turbo. lol

It goes back to a converters stall being directly related to the amount of torque applied to it. With a turbo V6 and a stall speed of 3000 rpm at 0-1# of boost, several customers have only shown a 50-100 rpm slip at 2200 rpm. The main difference between a lock-up and non lock becomes noticeable when climbing hills. When running up an incline with a non lock converter you will experience more slip because the converter "thinks" it's being foot braked so it loosens up.

Thanks Dusty. What would you recommend for a 200R4 behind a mild, (say, 400 RWHP) 2JZ-GTE in a 2700# car with P275DR's?

Thats it in a nutshell !! :cool: We have used both and that is my only gripe. I know I know move to a part of the country that doesn't have long hills :D

Dan, I'm as "there" as one can get. Flat as a pancake except for an occasional highway overpass, and 17 ft elevation.

Thanks Dusty. What would you recommend for a 200R4 behind a mild, (say, 400 RWHP) 2JZ-GTE in a 2700# car with P275DR's?

That's an entirely different animal. Any plans to eventually go higher on the power? What rpm will you shift at? It's typically a higher rpm engine than the Buick V6

That's an entirely different animal. Any plans to eventually go higher on the power? What rpm will you shift at? It's typically a higher rpm engine than the Buick V6

I feel like a bum 'jacking fastblack's thread. I was looking for an approximation for now, since this project is still in the planning stage. I'd prolly want a little room to grow, though. There's a guy up in OH that's building a flexplate and adapter but it's not finished yet...

I feel like a bum 'jacking fastblack's thread. I was looking for an approximation for now, since this project is still in the planning stage. I'd prolly want a little room to grow, though. There's a guy up in OH that's building a flexplate and adapter but it's not finished yet...

It will depend on the rpm range. A motor that shifts at 5500 rpm needs a different converter than an engine that shifts at 7000. You can run a 10" at 400-500 rwhp. The converter stall speed will be looser if the shift rpm is higher. For 500+ rwhp and 7000 rpm you can run a 9".

Did you want lock-up or non lock?

Thanks, Dusty. I'll get back with you when I'm sure what motor I'll be using. It'll likely be either a DSM 4G63 or the 2JZ, as the engine bay is tiny and I don't want to cut the front-end up too much. The car is a '63 Rambler American that weighs 2450# with an iron I-6 and 3 speed auto...

there has been no good information about my original post here. some other good stuff came up but i am still looking for higher power lock up that works well and what pains you went through to make it happen. Seems like no one wants to share this info.

there has been no good information about my original post here. some other good stuff came up but i am still looking for higher power lock up that works well and what pains you went through to make it happen. Seems like no one wants to share this info.

The bottom line is this. You're not gonna find a LU convertor that can lock...and hold...800 WHP. Grumpy has run a high 9 with a 9/11 lockup...once. I'm sure even he would tell you that you can't do that all day.

I lock my TC in 3rd and I'm @ about 450rwhp. I've done this hundreds of times. The only thing needed to make it work is enough line pressure to force the lock under power. If it doesn't lock quickly, you'll burn up the clutches. That's why the multi-disc design came out in the precision converters. Mine locks very quickly even at wot; I realize more power may change this, but one way to find out. I'll be making closer to 600rwhp on the new motor and will still be locking the TC in 3rd as I am now. Shooting for 135mph with it locked.

The bottom line is this. You're not gonna find a LU convertor that can lock...and hold...800 WHP. Grumpy has run a high 9 with a 9/11 lockup...once. I'm sure even he would tell you that you can't do that all day.

WRONG !!!! Come on!! DON"T ASSUME anything from me. Ill tell ya like it is. Plain an simple. This 9/11 has at least 20k miles on it.. We DRIVE the hell of the car. Playing on the street we lock it up all the time manually.. Pulls like a freight train. 1/ 9 sec run BUT has at least 15/20 runs in the 135/138+mph. Converter has never missed a beat..:p Has a 700 LU soliniod and a very well built tranny by Russ. Of course we have a good trans cooler to. I have a LOT of friends running 135/158 with lock up converters. I really don't know any secrets.
On another note we have been beating up my old Mazda/Buick.. Of course it has a 9/11 LU in it to.:D

I'm not making 800+ but I'am making decent power. I've been running a PTC 10" L/U with Extreme automatics stage 3 200r in my combo with one rebuild of the unit at 4800ish miles on the combo. Output shaft had almost pushed through, and, burned up clutch. It now locks a bit later & all seems well. I'd go to a NL if I didn't drive the car so much, I prefer to enjoy the car on the street when weather allows, so, just something I'm aware of.

Back