what should car be running

ApullinV6

sig below, went to track last night and car just wouldn't 60'. I've been 1.61 without boost and last night car was only doing 1.8 60' with 3-5# of boost and car was onlly producing 89-90 mph. car has been 1.58 60' with same m/t et drags as well as a friend of mind who has been 1.58 at 7.20's at like 93 mph and that was with a stock block and a te44 turbo with orange stripe convertor.

I guess what I'm wondering is what should a TE61 turbo be capable of in 1/8 and 1/4 times.

You didn't mention boost level....

IMHO...the TE61.... all out..... ought to go real low 7's..... high 6's maybe...mid to upper 90's on the trap speed....... but that is IMHO.....

car is producing like 21#'s in 1st and 2nd and then to 25# in 3rd. Not really sure on timing of Chip. It's a alky chip from Eric.

Also, turbo has 81 housing. Car spools up quickly so I wouldn't think that would be hurting me in the 1/8 mile. i need to run 1/4 mile and see if I pick up on the other end compared to my friends.

IMHO.... your 60' time has no effect on the trap speed whatsoever.... so the 89-90 mph is the HP indicator.

You mention 21# in first and second.... then 25# in 3rd..... what is causing this?..... boost creep? IMHO.... if you can run 25# in high gear.... you should be able to run 25 psi+ in low and second... all else being equal.... also.... you really need to see what the timing is set at.... this has a tremendous effect on the HP output... also... when you launched at 3-5#.... was that all the boost you could build?....i.e. was it spinning on anything harder..?

There are so many factors that can have an effect on ET.... and trap speed...

IMHO.... 89-90 isn't too bad considering most of that run you were on 21# boost... without knowing the timing.... it is hard to say how much you are "leaving" on the table.....

HTH

I'm not sure what's causing the boost to do what its doing. Coming off the line it goes straight to 21-22# and as soon as it goes into drive it jumps to 25#.

The track wasn't anything to brag about, car was spinning with any boost build up. Car normally, in the past 60's pretty well with a best of 1.58 on mt et streets.

As far as boost build up, let me say this. This car has been very tempermental in this area. After getting the motor back together, I couldn't get car to build any boost without pushing thru the lights. I haven't changed anything but the gas I'm burning and ALL of a sudden car is building boost.. I'm going to eventually turn alky, but for right now I'm mixing 93 and 110 octane to achieve around 100-102 octane. Before I was mixing 93 and 116. Would this cause car to boost differently? Someone mentioned earlier that my boost problem was related to a tuning issue...I do not have anything other than a scanmaster for tuning and I need to know alot about that to do my tuning.

Speaking of timing, car has the alky chip in it with the feature of adjusting timing. Before I spun a rod bearing, I was running car and by going up with the timing, car picked up. By having motor out and comp. loosing 12v did it loose that program and do I need to go up with the timing again. I'm going to email Eric and find out my timing.

I'm not sure what's causing the boost to do what its doing. Coming off the line it goes straight to 21-22# and as soon as it goes into drive it jumps to 25#.

The track wasn't anything to brag about, car was spinning with any boost build up. Car normally, in the past 60's pretty well with a best of 1.58 on mt et streets.

As far as boost build up, let me say this. This car has been very tempermental in this area. After getting the motor back together, I couldn't get car to build any boost without pushing thru the lights. I haven't changed anything but the gas I'm burning and ALL of a sudden car is building boost.. I'm going to eventually turn alky, but for right now I'm mixing 93 and 110 octane to achieve around 100-102 octane. Before I was mixing 93 and 116. Would this cause car to boost differently? Someone mentioned earlier that my boost problem was related to a tuning issue...I do not have anything other than a scanmaster for tuning and I need to know alot about that to do my tuning.

Speaking of timing, car has the alky chip in it with the feature of adjusting timing. Before I spun a rod bearing, I was running car and by going up with the timing, car picked up. By having motor out and comp. loosing 12v did it loose that program and do I need to go up with the timing again. I'm going to email Eric and find out my timing.

Yes... when you remove power from the ECM.... it looses your custom setings and goes back to "default".... you will need to ease the timing back up...

Also, turbo has 81 housing. Car spools up quickly so I wouldn't think that would be hurting me in the 1/8 mile. i need to run 1/4 mile and see if I pick up on the other end compared to my friends.
Open up the wastegate hole and get boost more linear through the gears. Your giving up a lot in the 1/8 with the low boost. You should be gaining 25mph from 1/8 to 1/4 mph with steady boost through all gears.

How much does it need to be opened up? Anyone got any pics of before and after. I'm assuming your talking about taking a end grinder and opening it up.

How much does it need to be opened up? Anyone got any pics of before and after. I'm assuming your talking about taking a end grinder and opening it up.

What DP are you running? You should be able to take the turbo off and look at the housing and see a carbon ring where the wastegate puck closes. (Assuming it is internally gated) Remove the compressor housing and with a die grinder or a dremel tool, enlarge the hole to within an 1/8th of an inch or so of the carbon ring. Some have done it with the turbo on the car, but I wouldn't take a chance of that metal getting in the turbo.

As far as your chip goes, your timing should be written on it. Both of my turbotweak chips have the timing written on them, on the side that plugs into the ecm. I use one for 93 octane and the other for Race fuel. Disconnect the orange wire by the battery then pull your chip and check it.

Running too much timing could be just as damaging as too much boost.