What will it cost to make the switch (LSx)

V8killR4U

Im considering making the change to an LS based motor. I'd like to make 700 RWHP on pumpgas and i'd like to run 9.50's How much would i be looking at money wise to get into this set up considering going the budget route.
(Used parts)

LQ9 motor
Heads
Intake
Throttle body
Pistons
Rods
Wiring Harness
New motor mounts
Headers
turbo Piping
Tune
Injectors
FP Reg

Well let me ask a more specific question.

What long Block do I need. LS1, LS2, LQ4, or LQ9. Which one to use. I have a lineon several LQ9 motors.

In one of our cars, just a stock LQ9 engine on boost should be able to go nines, with a cam, ARP rod bolts, and valve springs.... If your looking to go with heads and intake go with the stuff from a L92! Its cheapest and very powerful. The base swap for us was about $3,500 for a 5.3, throw another probably 1k on top of that for the 6.0. Managed to steal our project LQ9 from a good friend with 50k on it for $300!:rolleyes: And our turbo setup was a budget build so we have nothing for money in it... I guess it matters how crazy you want to get with it, if your fabbing your own stuff or paying to have it done...

,Dan

Ill agree with whats said above. It gonna depend on how much work and fab work you can do. I can tell you from experience that no matter what budget you plan for, plan for the unexpected.

Well I have a L92 motor, only plans are to re ring it, add new bearings and a nice cam. At the most add pistons and rods.

Are you guys buying a swap kit specifically for the LSX motors, ie motor mounts, sway bar etc?

I plan on doin this project in phases.

What do you think the phase 1 would run me. Someone else would be doing the work.

Phase 1 ; get the mtr in (motor freshned, cam, motor mounts (fab),drop motor in)
Phase 2 ; route turbo set up (truck manifolds, fab tubing, DP)
Phase 3 : trans (trans mounts for 4l60)
Phase 3 ; Fuel (injectors, reg, sump tank and FP, FPR)
Phase 4 ; wiring (Stock harness, stock computer)
Phase 5 ; tuning

I pmed you a really good link on ls1 tech I dont have enough posts to post a link lol

My $.02...

800FW/ 9.50's...And, "Phase 3 : trans (trans mounts for 4l60)".
Use of this trans will/can double your "budget". Trying to get it to live, will be big $$$.

if you are looking for basic turbo setup,,I am using the LM7 5.3 with a carb intake and a CSU blow thru turbo carb,,different and no complicated electronics...

Band aid im in chicago im looking to do the same thing i need some help pm me with some helpful information if u can.

is the LS3 and LQ9 basicly the same block ? my understanding is that the LS3 is alum and the LQ9 iron . also the LS3 block has a higher HP rating .

These LS motors are fun aren't they !! I'm making over 500RWHP on a h/c/fast LS2. Thats NA POWER !!

These LS motors are fun aren't they !! I'm making over 500RWHP on a h/c/fast LS2. Thats NA POWER !!

sorry to go off topic . But gn4u2c please throw up your LS specs . :) would love to see and other as well I would think . what you have in your LS build to make that kind of RWHP . I'm torn between going with a LS3 block or a LSX .

what happened to the L92 that it needs a freshening? I think it will be fine, if you are throwing boost at it, i would go ARP rod bolts and head studs, LS7 valve springs and ZR1 head gaskets and you will be good to go with some serious boost!;)

,Dan

Also our 4L60E lasted about 200 miles with a 5.3 on 12PSI before 3-4 clutches were gone... Kick it and get a 4L80E... We use EFI Live to tune for boost in speed density, and Speartech Fuel Injection Systems made our harness from an old one we sent in, at a very reasonable price!

Also our 4L60E lasted about 200 miles with a 5.3 on 12PSI before 3-4 clutches were gone... Kick it and get a 4L80E... We use EFI Live to tune for boost in speed density, and Speartech Fuel Injection Systems made our harness from an old one we sent in, at a very reasonable price!

So if I get a 4l80E trans what should I tell my trans shop to do to make it handle 600+ RWHP? Basically what needs to be beefed up or replaced?

ls2 bottom end stock with arp bolts, vrx-4 cam from vengence, stage 1 texas speed heads, formato ported fast 92,gasket matched all, home ported tb, custom made intake pipe,42 injs, long tube headers, catless. Mad tune from RPM. 508 RWHP !! yes at the wheels on a dynojet. Just switching tuners netted me 21hp and a better curve all over and 100% stock driveability so pay attention to who you got seting up your tunes.

ls2 bottom end stock with arp bolts, vrx-4 cam from vengence, stage 1 texas speed heads, formato ported fast 92,gasket matched all, home ported tb, custom made intake pipe,42 injs, long tube headers, catless. Mad tune from RPM. 508 RWHP !! yes at the wheels on a dynojet. Just switching tuners netted me 21hp and a better curve all over and 100% stock driveability so pay attention to who you got seting up your tunes.

Do you have any pics of your swap?

Get on ls1tech.com all of your answers are there. The only thing I dont agree on with over at LS1 tech is their general attitude on turbo sizing...