You can type here any text you want

whats good oil pressure?????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
...... If you have good pressure with lighter oil run the lighter oil. Running a heavier oil will give you a gauge reading you like better but that comes at the expense of less flow. (read: bearing cooling) Something to think about.

P.S.10W-30 and straight 30 weight are the same viscosity at temp.

I have even run 50w oil and not seen bearing problems with the heavier oil?

On most all the turbo Buick engines we have done, never seen a bearing ruined by less flow with a heavier oil, but seen many burned and trashed by not enough oil or oil flow no matter what oil.

The Buick turbo engines were not built like the manual states for the economy V-6 which came out of the 60's, they had better pumps and clearances. This is not hearsay as I have correspondence from production engineers at Buick City that did testing and QC during the 80's.

Also, I have done thousands of oil changes on turbo Buicks, and you will never convince me 10W-30 and 30W are the same viscosity at temp. Especially the 15W-40 synthetics flow like water when drained hot, and 40W will run like syrup.

The reason to run light oil is for economy, for performance the heavier oils provide better protection. :)

nick,

the differance between 10w-30 and 20w-50 at temp probably isn't significant enough to cause a problem in a well maintained engine. I'll give you that. But that IMO doesn't mean you just do it. If you ask almost anyone if they want to take good care of their engine or great care of their engine I think we both know what the answer would be. EDIT: I am NOT implying that nick doesn't give the advice he thinks is best!

as for the weight differance I can only say this. I stand by my statement of the weight of oils. Now if you're (not you specifically) going to run an oil out of normal conditions you're going to see differances. I can't speak for the infinite variables but if someone has 10w-30 and sae 30 at normal temp they will be the same. If someone is going to pull their oil cooler or raod race with factory junk (i say that affectionately) then they will push the oils beyond their intended service conditions (especially heat wise) and all bets are off. One other thing is that as a multi viscosity oil ages it reverts to base weight. So yes, at an oil change it is totally reasonable to expect a multi weight oil to be thinner like you said. If it's significant I would asvise the owner to change their oil more.

another thing to think of for most is startup wear. Most don't have dedicated race cars. (Not that there is anything wrong with that! :) ) their cars are subject to lots of cold starts and we all know that cold starts are hell on the engine and wear is cummulative.

just wanted to clarify a little of where I'm coming from. Sorry about the spelling. My phone has the worlds smallest keyboard!

as long as your above 10psi your good, mine sits at 18-20 at 160' degrees, on a extreme hot day like today in illinois, running at 180 to 200 if sitting in traffic, Im as low as 14 to 16 never any lower, thats w/ 10w40 castrol. I was iffy for awhile to until I heard from numerous others these motors can run as low as 7 psi oil pressure and be perfectly good... but that aint in my likeing either...

i was a little concerned myself mine idols at 10-12psi at 180degrees on a hot day with valvoline 10-30 then jumps to normal levels.

Mine was idleing on a hot day in and out of traffic at almost 200deg at 10 to 12 with 10/40 I just swithed to valvoline vr1 and a quart of the lucas oil stabalizer huge diif on a hot idle am at 23psi and full throttle am 66psi. I don't care what any one says I think that's great am new to the buicks but I've been doing that to my 10sec stangs all my life and never had prob thicker oil in the summer am all for it everything stays nice and coated. I think synthetic for these cars are horrible they drain like water am sticking with valvoline vr1 it has me sold that's just my opinion others might think am wrong but hey am happy:D

FWIW My GN has had 20w50 in it in the summer since 87 and it has darn near 200k on the longblock..thats cam sensor to!!

am new to these tr am trying to see what works best in any aspect with my car I put only the best on this car just so you know how anal I am I changed the oil 4x in 800miles:eek: to see what works best my first oil change was mobil 1 then I was told that's the worst thing I can do for this car so out it went. Now I found vr1 so far everything is where I want it to be my car doesent like thin oil in the 90% weather but over the winter its fine its not that my oil pressure is bad with lighter oil its just me I guess thanks for your responce

who told u mobil 1 was the worst thing u can put in these cars? what was their reasoning?

I don't wanna mention names but he is a very weel known builder on the sight

Heres your answer guys the nick macale just responded on mobil 1 he is the 1 of the best in the buisness if can't explain no one can. Am all ears when he speaks every thing I know about these cars is do to nick thanks nick for all your help :biggrin:

Back