You can type here any text you want

What's the average labor cost to just remove and replace an engine?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gn87man

Just to get an idea...

What is the total time (hours) and labor cost to just remove and replace an engine in a stock 87' Grand National, assuming the mechanic is experienced with these engines?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I have no idea but my guess would be a range between $500 for a friendly deal to $1500 for a cold business transaction.

The job can be done in about 4-8hrs that is taking it out and putting it back in. Cost has to figure on what is getting added to the motor when it's out. I would want at least $500 for taking one out and putting one back in with not having to do much more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The job can be done in about 4-8hrs that is taking it out and putting it back in. Cost has to figure on what is getting added to the motor when it's out. I would want at least $500 for taking one out and putting one back in with not having to do much more!

Thank you!

You couldn't pay me 500 to do a motor swap. $1,000 Is a deal and hardly worth it at that price

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Agreed! Cause your never gonna be able to remove a motor and have another motor ready to go in with everything attached. Something always needs to be swapped, fixed , or replaced!!

You couldn't pay me 500 to do a motor swap. $1,000 Is a deal and hardly worth it at that price

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
I typically charge $1100-1200 for the job. This depends on a few things and it doesn't include fixing damage done by other animals over the years. If I come across bad items (trans cooler lines, wires, blown out threads, etc) it's extra to fix these and it's not optional. Pressure washing and painting is extra. If the crossmember and engine is really greasy it will need to be pressure washed prior to removal and it's extra. As you know any legitimate business that has overhead and liability won't be doing this job for $500!

I typically charge $1100-1200 for the job. This depends on a few things and it doesn't include fixing damage done by other animals over the years. If I come across bad items (trans cooler lines, wires, blown out threads, etc) it's extra to fix these and it's not optional. Pressure washing and painting is extra. If the crossmember and engine is really greasy it will need to be pressure washed prior to removal and it's extra. As you know any legitimate business that has overhead and liability won't be doing this job for $500!
Thank you!

This was the exact post I was going to make....

There's always something that keeps it from being a straight forward procedure.

Also depends on your location, labor rates vary depending on where you live. I was at 75 an hour 10 years ago before I got out of the business and most independent shops are now over 100 here in the DC area

Also depends on your location, labor rates vary depending on where you live. I was at 75 an hour 10 years ago before I got out of the business and most independent shops are now over 100 here in the DC area
Yes, good point. Thank you!

Thank you Bison!

I agree $1000 minimum and no beer drinking during the process. I always tell whoever it is, have some money reserved for anything safety related. I don't play that game. And another thing is maintenance after the fact. Don't call me about running your car into the ground and not checking the oil or turning the boost up and blowing it. Not my problem. Have another 1k ready if you do. Some people are plain stupid and shouldn't own anything more than a Honda Civic.

Rant off/

Back