whats the number one preventable thing to not blow your car up?

liv4gnz

i know number one answer is going to be tune, now for the rest.

any little details or stupid things people have done that they blew their engine or head gasket?

they failed to notice, didn't pay attention to, over looked, hit their head and said duh?

maybe some good thoughts and input comes in and me or some one else who reads this would double check like crap i never thought of that?

i might be on the lead on this though

1-no knock sensor
2-no map sensor vacume line hooked up on alky
3-and um no boost control lol

i know im not the only one!

1) Weak fuel system.
2) Too much boost.
3) No scan tool

Blew my headgaskets at around 35psi one time.

The whole ARP head stud issues. Apparently people have been blowing headgaskets because they found that 2 of the studs need extra washers for it to clamp down properly without running out of thread.... As for me, I found the thread after my motor was built and i dont have the extra washers. I have zero issues though and have put about 3000 miles on the motor with many WOT blasts. So i guess i got lucky, and my engine builder was awesome.

The whole ARP head stud issues. Apparently people have been blowing headgaskets because they found that 2 of the studs need extra washers for it to clamp down properly without running out of thread.... As for me, I found the thread after my motor was built and i dont have the extra washers. I have zero issues though and have put about 3000 miles on the motor with many WOT blasts. So i guess i got lucky, and my engine builder was awesome.
First time I heard of that. interesting. Never had this problem myself but I always chase and clean threads in the block and make sure the studs are all the way in.

I would say #1 cause would be leaning out.. and knock

dont forget to have race gas in if u have a race tune .... did that once wasnt good an cost alot

It's a moot question. If you BOUGHT the car...then make sure it's ready to take the abuse BEFORE you abuse it.
If you BUILT the car...then you ought to know the weak points. As Grumpy said...they just break sometimes. What I can't stand when someone not very well educated about whatever car they just bought and expect it to be invincible....ruins it. Wrecks, blown up, tore apart and cannot get it back together...the list is endless.
My point is this...not every guy was meant to own one of these, and even less of them were meant to tune one.

that is what i dont want this thread to turn into ^,

im just looking for small things that could easily get overlooked, for example the head studs were too long, or this or that happened, obviously no one plans to have their car blown up, so maybe we might be able to prevent something in the future if we read about something we dont know about.

Trying to be frugal (cheap) and using regular 87 octane gas and then trying to whup the teenager's ass driving the ricer in the next lane.

Hi-Temp Wire Ties....(proper size of course) ..Don't leave a single "" vacume line"" connection with-out one...!!!

wastegate hoses. should be in good condition and best to have ties on them to prevent them popping off.

fuel pressure regulator hose. same thing.

If you modify the engine to add horsepower, I think replacing the stock timing chain is a great preventative measure.

Like said above, wire ties on the important boost lines, keeping enough gas in your tank so the pump/pumps dont suck air, training your right foot to lift the instant something is wrong like the boost is higher than what you tuned it for, you hear detonation---sounds like gravel hitting the floor pan.

Especially on boost applications always let the coolant run through the car a few times warming it up. This was huge on diesels, gotta let the head gasket warm up. It was the #1 way to blow a gasket, and trust me its a pita to replace a head gasket on a truck.

Old gas. I don't go into boost with the overwinter gas. I just drive around till it's nearly empty then fill with fresh gas. If you're down south and drive year round you may still have crap gas if your car sits for months.

My point is this...not every guy was meant to own one of these, and even less of them were meant to tune one.

This is the real world answer even if ya don't want to accept it. These cars have there quirks. everything has to be ready for a pounding. If it's not .. BOOM !

Thanks Grumpy.
After re-reading the OP...I think his agenda was to create a checklist of faults others have found. A good idea, but still moot. Who is gonna buy a car and then tear it apart to check their ARP head stud length?
In my honest opinion you have two scenarios that will yield the most reliable results.
1. Buy a car with a nice unopened motor (still a risk, as your trusting the seller) and progress with bolt ons after your sure you have a solid chassis and tranny.
2. Buy a car...gut it...start your own build from the ground up.
If someone else had hands in the car you bought...your walking a tight rope as to whether they made all the correct choices in tuning it.
They are all grenades...you just don't want someone else to pull the pin and then toss it to you.

They are all grenades...you just don't want someone else to pull the pin and then toss it to you.

love that line!

if your afraid to break it you should race it, madify it, etc leave it stock and hope for the best.

well i check a few things like making sure i have alky in the tank. making sure to prime the alky system.

Change the oil....Many of us don't drive thousands of miles, so the 3 month rule is always in effect for me or sooner.